What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 05, 2021, 09:11:49 PM
What a sweet choice for a cover painting. Discogs informs that it's 'Shrovetide' (1916) by Kustodiev. BTW he also painted Chaliapin (1921); there's a good little Wiki article on that portrait.

Thanks for delving in here!

I had always wondered about the purple hue of this Delos cover. Some of the examples online retain that hued 'filter', while others, like the one I included below, use more realistically-colored tones.

I notice this same difference of hued effect on Chaliapin too.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

MusicTurner

Quote from: VonStupp on December 06, 2021, 03:36:19 AM
Thanks for delving in here!

I had always wondered about the purple hue of this Delos cover. Some of the examples online retain that hued 'filter', while others, like the one I included below, use more realistically-colored tones.

I notice this same difference of hued effect on Chaliapin too.

VS

Yes, there are quite different versions of the colours to be found on the web. I understand that the original painting is in the Russian State Museum in St. Petersburg, but it's difficult to know what the real colours are, unless one has seen it. That cover exaggerates some contrasts, no doubt, but at least mood-wise, the effect isn't unpleasant, I think.

I see that he visited many museums in Western Europe, maybe one reason for certain similarities with folkloristic Dutch/Brueghel winter paintings.

vandermolen

Dutilleux: Symphony No.2
I'm really enjoying discovering this boxed set:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Traverso

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2021, 03:53:58 AM
Dutilleux: Symphony No.2
I'm really enjoying discovering this boxed set:

This is a fine box  :)

Traverso

Quote from: André on December 05, 2021, 03:20:54 PM
It was originally issued as an LP on the Argo label. That's how I heard it.

Never reissued as a single cd, as you mention  :(

Indeed and in the Marriner box is the Vivaldi Concerto not included  :(

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Olivier

VonStupp

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 06, 2021, 03:51:17 AM
Yes, there are quite different versions of the colours to be found on the web. I understand that the original painting is in the Russian State Museum in St. Petersburg, but it's difficult to know what the real colours are, unless one has seen it. That cover exaggerates some contrasts, no doubt, but at least mood-wise, the effect isn't unpleasant, I think.

I see that he visited many museums in Western Europe, maybe one reason for certain similarities with folkloristic Dutch/Brueghel winter paintings.

No, you are right, and I find the purple hue distinctive. I've enjoyed all of the winter scenes I have found so far. I will check out Brueghel this afternoon.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Traverso

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2021, 12:44:29 AM
I will persevere with a very good David Oistrakh recording on Decca.
Sorry, I missed the earlier comment; so you listened to a Hindemith work Irons?  Which lp/cd?

Working on morning coffee here.  I'm not quite up (yet) to putting on some music.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

aligreto

Recent listening: A Secret Labyrinth [Van Nevel] - CD 10

CD 10: Comprises the music of Nicolas Gombert.

This is rich sounding music. The quality of the polyphonic writing is marvellous with wonderful harmonies abounding. The Opening Regina coeli is a fine example. In te Domine speravi is of the same quality with the emphasis of the writing on the higher register voices; divine! The music continues to come at one literally in waves of sonic bliss. The Missa Tempore paschali is a significant work.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2021, 05:42:03 PM

Mahler
Symphony No. 3
Norma Procter (contralto)
Ambrosian Singers, Wandsworth School Boys Choir, London Symphony Orchestra
Horenstein

I particularly like that version of M3.

aligreto

Quote from: Linz on December 05, 2021, 08:45:43 PM
I am now listening to Tchaikovsky's Christmas Ballet The Nutcracker with Ansermet

I also particularly like Ansermet's version of The Nutcracker.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on December 06, 2021, 05:18:10 AM
What a great set that is also!

Just finished this recording and yes,it is a great set  :)

Traverso

Scarlatti

CD 24

Sonatas  KK 372-391

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on December 06, 2021, 05:33:52 AM
Scarlatti

One great set follows another. I am sure that you are enjoying your music, Jan.  8)

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on December 06, 2021, 05:39:31 AM
One great set follows another. I am sure that you are enjoying your music, Jan.  8)

Do you have this set Fergus ?   :)