What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 06, 2021, 06:57:04 AM
Mr. Madison's Crystal Flute w/ Rob Turner on flute and Frank Wallace playing guitar (by Manuel Guitiérrez, Seville, 1854); the crystal flute was made in France by Claude Laurent in 1813, and was presumably a gift from Lafayette, possibly presented to Madison at his Virginia estate Montpelier (which we've visited several times - still in a state of restoration); more information at LINK1 and LINK2, for those interested.  Dave :)

What a cool looking flute!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Kiel, Friedrich (1821-1885) - Piano Concerto & Piano Chamber Works w/ the performers on the cover art below - yet another forgotten composer - this time a German Romantic at times sounding much like Brahms and Schumann - own just the 4 discs shown, all but one piano chamber works considered his best genre of composition - these recordings are enjoyable as the attached reviews suggest - recommended if you want to add some more 19th century Brahmsian-flavored piano chamber pieces to your collection from a now obscure composer.  :laugh:  Dave

QuoteFriedrich Kiel was a German composer, pianist and violinist, and teacher.  His compositions number over seventy, including a piano concerto, chamber works, motets, oratorios, a Missa Solemnis and two Requiems. Chamber music comprises much of Kiel's output and is regarded among his most important and best compositions. He was praised as a fine melodist and his chamber music was well regarded in his time. (Source)

Sergeant Rock

Havergal Brian Symphony No. 31, Mackerras conducting the RLPO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bachtoven

Partita No.2, Sonata No.3, and Partita No.3. He plays the Gigue of Partita 2 and the Allegro of Sonata 3 at nearly twice the tempo of most violinists, which borders on the ridiculous, but it's a jaw-dropping display of virtuosity if nothing else!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2021, 08:07:35 AM
What a cool looking flute!

PD

Below is a picture from one of the links given in my previous post of the Madison flute put together - this one is made of leaded crystal (most of Laurent's glass flutes were constructed from non-leaded glass), and just a handful are extant.  Dave :)

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on December 06, 2021, 07:45:29 AM
Paul Ben-Haim Symphony No.2

BBC Philharmonic cond Carlo Goldstein
A great work!

TD
Arthur Butterworth: Symphony No.4
BBC Northern SO
Bryden Thomson
A fine Baxian/Sibelian score.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 06, 2021, 09:35:59 AM
Below is a picture from one of the links given in my previous post of the Madison flute put together - this one is made of leaded crystal (most of Laurent's glass flutes were constructed from non-leaded glass), and just a handful are extant.  Dave :)

Thanks for the pic Dave!  :)

Just listened to Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 1 with the Borodin Quartet on Chandos.  Impressions:  pleasant but not really memorable.  He apparently wrote it within a year of having completed his fifth symphony and if premiered in 1938 by the Glazanov Quartet.

Wonderful sound in this recording (which apparently were recorded in the *1970's if my source is correct; I can't find anything in the liner notes as to the original where and when--only that they were digitally remastered in 2003 by Chandos).

*Looks like they were recorded between 1967 - 1972.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Mahler: Symphony No. 3 [Tennstedt]

I find that the opening sequence has a great presence to it. Tennstedt's first movement is dark and foreboding as opposed to menacing for me. The brass section does very well; they are biting where appropriate. The second movement is largely an oasis of calm and Tennstedt delivers the requisite atmosphere. The third movement is well delivered with all of its quirkiness intact. The fourth movement is something of a brooding affair [not in a bad way] where he lingers intensely over the music. I do not think that the fifth movement is a success. All of the vocals are too reticent for me. The final movement is a gradual journey on the road to the tour de force which is the climax of this work. There is glorious music to be heard along that road and Tennstedt delivers it all well. There is initially the requisite delicacy leading to expansiveness which in turn begins to unleash the emotionally powerful conclusion very effectively. 
This presentation is well paced but it is also an expansive one. The music is very well delivered throughout. The brass section deserves particular mention.

Linz

Listening to the Coclusion of the Nutcracker Now With Ansermet

aligreto

Dvorak: Symphony No. 7 [Rowicki]

I think that Dvorak's seventh symphony has always been my favourite symphony of his. I find everything about it to be engaging. Rowicki balances the opening movement very well in terms of both lyricism and drive. There is a certain majesty and grandeur along with the requisite gravitas in the presentation. The woodwinds are rightfully presented in their prominent role. The lyricism and the magnificence of the harmonies , along with my beloved woodwinds, are all portrayed in this glorious reading of this very full sounding and well paced slow movement. The Scherzo is a delightful and well driven flurry of excitement but Rowicki does not force or stretch anything too far. The Trio section is delightful. The final movement begins from a high point in terms of drama, tension, excitement and drive and it gradually escalates along its progression. There is a wonderful underlying pulse to the rhythm. The brass section is well portrayed here. This presentation concludes with a very fine climax.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Brewski on December 03, 2021, 07:18:56 PM
Lovely, wasn't it!

--Bruce

It really was - the orchestra sounded *amazing*!

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2021, 08:05:03 PM
FWIW, the Cello Concerto isn't really one of my preferred Bliss works. His Piano Concerto, on the other hand, is a scorcher!

Quote from: vandermolen on December 03, 2021, 10:59:16 PM
I like the short Concerto for Two Pianos as well.

Sounds like both the Piano Concerto and the Two-Piano Concerto will go on my 'to listen' list!

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 08:13:35 PM
Speaking of killers, the astonishing and moving 7th Proserpine? It could convey magic and vivid sceneries, enjoying a fascinating and stimulating musical experience, like evoking a pantomime in a sea valley from the old Greece. The recording is excellent despite it's a broadcast.

One can never get enough George Lloyd! I need to re-listen to the Seventh soon...

Quote from: Iota on December 04, 2021, 03:41:46 AM
I listened to Bergakungen on the strength of your enthusiasm, first Alfvén I've heard, and found a great deal to enjoy about it too.  :)
It truly is one of the best pieces I've listened to in a long time! Just full of delightful (and dazzlingly orchestrated) music.

Quote from: Traverso on December 04, 2021, 04:53:17 AM
I like that Bruckner with Giulini  :)

It's a wonderful recording - and I remember liking Giulini's DG remake of Bruckner 9 (with the Vienna Phil) even better! You can't go wrong with Giulini in this Symphony.

TD (listened to both pieces twice over the weekend):

Franz Schmidt
Symphony no. 4
Vienna Philharmonic

Arnold Schoenberg
Chamber Symphony no. 1
members of the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Zubin Mehta

The Schmidt is as moving and powerful as advertised, both the symphony itself and this particular recording - there really is no other work like it. As far as the Schoenberg First Chamber Symphony, Mehta conducts a fine performance, but I'm partial to the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, which is just a little leaner and more exciting to my ears.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Linz

I am now listening to Beethoven's 3rd Symphony from This set

Linz

Now for Bruckner 9 With Gunter Wand and The Berliner Orchester

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2021, 03:59:11 PM
Do you like Dutoit better than Karajan?

No I don't. It's different, is all. I prefer Karajan's Salzburg performance from 1957 (also with the BP) to the commercial recording though. It's more volatile, more immediate and truly searing. The DG account is fantastic in a more monumental way and of course it's very well recorded. That being said, for the work's volcanic, implacable character to be given its full due, Mravinsky and Munch are must-hear options. Dutoit is more classical in conception and his orchestral balances superbly realized by the BRSO. You can't go wrong with any of these.

vers la flamme

Toru Takemitsu: And then I knew 'twas wind. Robert Aitken, Toronto New Music Ensemble

Been some time since I've heard any of this very good disc. Naxos has done some seriously killer Takemitsu recordings. I've been very impressed with all of them.

Mirror Image

Now playing Strauss' Oboe Concerto in D, Op. 144 (Manfred Clement - oboe/Kempe/Staatskapelle)

From this set:

Lovely per usual. Gorgeous sound quality.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2021, 02:21:26 PM
Now playing Strauss' Oboe Concerto in D, Op. 144 (Manfred Clement - oboe/Kempe/Staatskapelle)

From this set:

Lovely per usual. Gorgeous sound quality.

Looks good! It says that only 1000 sets were issued and (each) set has a serial number.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 06, 2021, 02:28:07 PM
Looks good! It says that only 1000 sets were issued and (each) set has a serial number.

The photo I used is actually of the originally issued set (w/ the blue label), but Tower Records reissued it again with a black label, which is the one I own:

One thing I've noticed throughout the set is that there little volume flutters that happen like a bit after the four minute mark in the Horn Concerto No. 2.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 06, 2021, 01:36:37 PM
No I don't. It's different, is all. I prefer Karajan's Salzburg performance from 1957 (also with the BP) to the commercial recording though. It's more volatile, more immediate and truly searing. The DG account is fantastic in a more monumental way and of course it's very well recorded. That being said, for the work's volcanic, implacable character to be given its full due, Mravinsky and Munch are must-hear options. Dutoit is more classical in conception and his orchestral balances superbly realized by the BRSO. You can't go wrong with any of these.

Cool. I've always been partial to Baudo and the Czech PO.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2021, 02:32:48 PM
The photo I used is actually of the originally issued set (w/ the blue label), but Tower Records reissued it again with a black label, which is the one I own:

One thing I've noticed throughout the set is that there little volume flutters that happen like a bit after the four minute mark in the Horn Concerto No. 2.

Tower Japan reissued? Imho, you should send a message to Tower Records about the problem, and ask for a return. They may give you a discount. I don't know if it was like that in the original recording or it was caused by the remastering.