What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 06, 2021, 02:39:24 PM
Tower Japan reissued? Imho, you should send a message to Tower Records about the problem, and ask for a return. They may give you a discount. I don't know if it was like that in the original recording or it was caused by the remastering.

It's not a glitch --- it's in the tape transfer. I didn't buy this from Tower Records, but a seller from Japan on eBay and it was brand new. And yes, there are two sets of this Strauss set, the first one is OOP and this one with the black label is a reissue from that first issued set.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 06, 2021, 06:40:58 AM
Havergal Brian Symphony No. 29, Walker conducting

Sarge

This is a great release. Listening to Symphony #6 now.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Shostakovich
Complete String Quartets Volume V
SQ #11
Mandelring Quartett

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2021, 03:33:20 PM
It's not a glitch --- it's in the tape transfer. I didn't buy this from Tower Records, but a seller from Japan on eBay and it was brand new. And yes, there are two sets of this Strauss set, the first one is OOP and this one with the black label is a reissue from that first issued set.

It's  definitely a keeper, and the box looks sharp. Enjoy the set!

vers la flamme

Arvo Pärt: Für Alina, etc. Jeroen van Veen

Jeroen van Veen is a badass for recording all this minimal repertoire, which I understand is not everyone's bag. The piece Für Alina is unbelievably beautiful. It was actually one of the first classical pieces I ever fell for, the ECM recording.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Mendelssohn: String Quartet No. 6

No doubts this is a fantastic creation, and how it is played here is just jaw-dropping! I'm a sucker for works with plenty of drama like this masterful quartet, but also with some of consoling nature, somewhat cathartic if you want to think so.

Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3

I've underappreciated this stirring and majestic work for so long, and that goes to other French symphonies I heartily love now: Dukas in C major, Franck in D minor (from the French School), Bizet in C, Gounod both, d'Indy nº 2 in B-flat, Chausson in B-flat, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, and so on.

Edit: This organ is something else!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Both works are not part of Szell's vast commercial legacy. The Bruckner Te Deum in particular would have been a reference if it had been. The sound here is unsatisfactory but clear enough to let us hear how well Szell had judged Bruckner's sound and the flow of his music. The Clevelanders have a weightier, darker sound than usual, with a hefty string sound and pounding timpani. In the Mozart Requiem all the parts have been judged to a nicety by soloists and conductor/chorus alike. Here too the sound issues preclude a recommendation. For Szell and Bruckner fans mostly, I guess.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: André on December 06, 2021, 01:36:37 PM
No I don't. It's different, is all. I prefer Karajan's Salzburg performance from 1957 (also with the BP) to the commercial recording though. It's more volatile, more immediate and truly searing. The DG account is fantastic in a more monumental way and of course it's very well recorded. That being said, for the work's volcanic, implacable character to be given its full due, Mravinsky and Munch are must-hear options. Dutoit is more classical in conception and his orchestral balances superbly realized by the BRSO. You can't go wrong with any of these.

Much as I love the Karajan (the first Honegger recording I ever heard) I think I lean towards Baudo/Czech Philharmonic as my reference recording of each symphony. I find Dutoit good in 3 and 5, but somewhat lacking in the searing urgency that the music seems to demand. I have come to appreciate the gentle 4th symphony and there Dutoit, Plasson/Toulouse and Cobos/Lausanne are all beautiful performances.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

NP:

Strauss
Schlagobers Suite, TrV 243a
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
Nott

A fun romp! Fabulous sonics and performance.

vers la flamme

Edward Elgar: Sea Pictures, op.37. Janet Baker, John Barbirolli, London Symphony Orchestra

Mirror Image

NP:

Debussy
La Damoiselle élue
Paula Rasmussen (mezzo-soprano), Dawn Upshaw (soprano), Paul Salamunovich (chorus master)
Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Women Of The Los Angeles Master Chorale
Esa-Pekka Salonen

Simply ravishing. It's almost ancient and modern music happening simultaneously.

Symphonic Addict

Rubbra: Symphony No. 1

Wow! I wasn't wrong at considering this astonishing first symphony a strong favorite of mine. It's quite Rubbrian, I must say. There is an inner logic and stupendous counterpoint that amaze me. The last movement, a big Passacaglia Lento is powerfully evocative of some gothic story. It's terrific!!!

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

More English music:

Chisholm: Pictures from Dante

Mind-blowing! If you enjoy intense orchestral showpieces, you must hear this!!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP:

Schoenberg
Violin Concerto, Op. 36
Hilary Hahn, violin
Swedish RSO
Salonen

Sensational! This is certainly a reference recording for the Schoenberg and Sibelius for me. I also love Haendel's performance of the Sibelius VC (w/ Berglund/Bournemouth on EMI).

Linz

Rimsky-Korsikov Symphony no. 2 with Morton Gould

Linz

Next up is Maazel with Tchaikovsky's Symphony 2  and Rimsky Korsakov's Symphony 2

vandermolen

Quote from: Linz on December 06, 2021, 08:41:17 PM
Rimsky-Korsikov Symphony no. 2 with Morton Gould
That LP features one of the best performances of Miaskovsky's poetic 21st Symphony, which has thematic connections with 'Antar'. It's a great disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 06, 2021, 06:44:45 PM

Edward Elgar: Sea Pictures, op.37. Janet Baker, John Barbirolli, London Symphony Orchestra

I love Janet Baker and I love the Sea Pictures,I can't think of a better performance.  :)