What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Arthur Butterworth: Symphony No.4
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2021, 02:32:48 PM
The photo I used is actually of the originally issued set (w/ the blue label), but Tower Records reissued it again with a black label, which is the one I own:

One thing I've noticed throughout the set is that there little volume flutters that happen like a bit after the four minute mark in the Horn Concerto No. 2.

I have this edition and I just listened to the allegro of the second Horn Concerto and I did not hear any flutters. :)

Traverso

Florestan

Such gorgeous music, radiating joy and warmth yet not without tinges of melancholy. Supremely sparkling and engaging performance from Kuijken's band.

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2021, 02:03:34 AM

Such gorgeous music, radiating joy and warmth yet not without tinges of melancholy. Supremely sparkling and engaging performance from Kuijken's band.
Florestan has gone HIP! The end is nigh...

That CD looks great, in any case..

Good day, Andrei!

steve ridgway

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 06, 2021, 01:38:19 PM

Toru Takemitsu: And then I knew 'twas wind. Robert Aitken, Toronto New Music Ensemble

Been some time since I've heard any of this very good disc. Naxos has done some seriously killer Takemitsu recordings. I've been very impressed with all of them.

Yes the chamber music stuff is very enjoyable. :)

Traverso

Delius

Hassan: Intermezzo & Serenade
A Song before sunrise
Air and Dance
Koanga: La Calinda
Caprice & Elegy
Piano Concerto in C minor  Jean-Rudolphe Kars piano
Paris - Song of a Great City

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2021, 02:53:02 AM
Florestan has gone HIP! The end is nigh...

That CD looks great, in any case..

Good day, Andrei!

I have lots of HIP recordings that I enjoy but I enjoy them not for being HIP but because I like what I hear, exactly the same way I enjoy non-HIP recordings.  :D

Good day, Rafael.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

aligreto

A Secret Labyrinth [Van Nevel]: CD 11

CD 11: Comprises the music of Pierre de Manchicourt

The samples of his music which are included here weave a rich tapestry of polyphony. The harmonies are rich and very engaging and the intertwining of the various voices is both captivating and enchanting. He seems to create a wall of sound as a strong foundation for his music which is very effective and wonderful to listen to.

Harry

Georg Philipp Telemann.
Wind concertos, Volume V.

La Stagione Frankfurt, Michael Schneider.

Continue to enjoy. To busy to retreat to my listening den, so I resort to my office equipment, which is also topnotch.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Valentino

Better late that not at all? Just bought this Tharaud/Rameau album at eclassical.com. It is rather wonderful.

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Papy Oli

Bartok - String Quartet No.1 (Takacs)

Olivier

aligreto

Stanford: Piano Concerto No. 2 [Fingerhut/Handley]

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2021, 05:04:04 AM
Bartok - String Quartet No.1 (Takacs)

I think that is a terrific set. I hope that you enjoy it, Olivier.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on December 07, 2021, 05:29:20 AM

+1

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on December 07, 2021, 05:29:20 AM

I only attempted Bartok's SQ once before a long time ago, Fergus (Keller Qt) but I really struggled with those works then. It is a long overdue re-visit.
Olivier

Papy Oli

A first listen to William Boyce.
Symphonies No.5 & No.1.
(Marriner)
Olivier

aligreto

Saint-Saens: Piano Trio No. 1 [Florestan Trio]

The music of the opening is both engaging and beguiling. I particularly like the effusive conversational element to it and also the effusive, unbridled joy. The slow movement is a complete contrast in tone to the opening movement and it is particularly attractive. The tone of this performance is ardent, atmospheric and meditative without being forlorn. The scherzo is entertainingly quirky. The Florestan Trio makes the opening sequence of the final movement shimmer and sparkle. They gradually embark upon a more robust presentation which is wonderful in its eloquent delivery of this fine music.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2021, 06:00:22 AM
I only attempted Bartok's SQ once before a long time ago, Fergus (Keller Qt) but I really struggled with those works then. It is a long overdue re-visit.

Cheers, Olivier. I hope that you have an easier time with them this time around.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 07, 2021, 06:00:22 AM
Enjoy!

I also went down the Bartok path today.

Bartok's Concerto for Violin and Orchestra No. 2
André Gertler
Karel Ancerl
Czech Phil. Orch.
Rudolfinium, 1965

Wow!  What a virtuosic and dramatic piece!  From the liner notes:  "It was written in 1937-38 for his friend Zoltán Székely who premiered it in April 1939.  The political tension that was felt in Europe (and particularly in Hungary) is reflected in its tone.  From the standpoint of expression, the concerto is extremely detailed; its music is restless, flighty, explosive...."

It's part of a 4-CD boxed set of Bartok's "Violin Works Complete" on Supraphon with André Gertler.  Wonderful set and in great sound!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter