What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 03:26:08 PM
I wouldn't she's overlooked, but she is ignored it seems. For me, I just don't care much about her music. I'm stuck in the 19th Century and early to mid 20th Century it seems, but that is where I'm the happiest. Oh well, we like what we like!

So we do, my friend 🙂. How tedious would it be if we all gravitated to the same core repertoire! Much of what I enjoy here, is our differences.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Klavier1

A fine recording and excellent performances.

Karl Henning

I was obliquely reminded by John's listening that it's been too long since I listened to this disc:

Shostakovich

Symphony № 14, Op. 135
Julia Varady, soprano
Deitrich Fischer-Dieskau, bass

Six Poems of Maria Tsvetayeva, Op. 143a
Ortrun Wenkel, contralto

Concertgebouworkest
Haitink
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 01:51:22 PM
It's a shame how Chandos has ignored much of their back catalog of recordings and Gibson's Sibelius comes to mind. They remastered this set of tone poems, but they won't remaster and reissue the symphonies? What is wrong with this label? ??? Anyway...sorry, I'm venting here.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on December 08, 2021, 02:12:28 PM
I agree they are fine performances but to be fair to a relatively small label like Chandos, what financial benefit would they get from the time and money it cost to re-master/re-release older recordings into a crowded marketplace targeting a tiny minority of dedicated collectors who might be interested.  I wish Chandos would remaster the Bryden Thomson Bax symphony cycle but I ain't holding my breath!

I too would welcome a reissue of the Gibson Sibelius cycle... *and* the Bax Symphonies with Thomson (the Handley set still seems to be in print, and was just fine, if I recall.)  But the odds of either seem vanishingly small...

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 08, 2021, 04:29:45 PM
I was obliquely reminded by John's listening that it's been too long since I listened to this disc:

Shostakovich

Symphony № 14, Op. 135
Julia Varady, soprano

Ortrun Wenkel, contralto

Concertgebouworkest
Haitink

I really need to hear Shostakovich 14 again, it's been far too long. Though as I commented with Babi Yar yesterday, one has to be 'in the mood'.

Thread duty: joined the crew of Myaskovsky Cello Concerto listeners.

Myaskovsky
Cello concerto
Alexander Rudin, cello
Musica Viva Orchestra
Andrey Golovin

(on Spotify)

A searching, introspective, and ultimately melancholy piece (as others have said.) Quite a remarkable work!

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on December 08, 2021, 03:44:17 PM
So we do, my friend 🙂. How tedious would it be if we all gravitated to the same core repertoire! Much of what I enjoy here, is our differences.

Indeed. 8)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 08, 2021, 04:29:45 PM

Shostakovich

Symphony № 14, Op. 135
Julia Varady, soprano

Ortrun Wenkel, contralto

Concertgebouworkest
Haitink

Lovely, Karl. Two amazing works.

Mirror Image

A Martinů-a-thon is happening it seems:

7 Études rhythmiques, H. 202
Bohuslav Matoušek, Petr Adamec

Piano Quintet No. 2, H. 298
Kocian Quartet, Ivan Klánský

Symphony No. 3, H. 299
Bamberger Symphoniker
Järvi

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 05:13:16 PM
A Martinů-a-thon is happening it seems:

7 Études rhythmiques, H. 202
Bohuslav Matoušek, Petr Adamec

Piano Quintet No. 2, H. 298
Kocian Quartet, Ivan Klánský

Symphony No. 3, H. 299
Bamberger Symphoniker
Järvi

A Martinů-a-thon is *always* a good thing! ;D I need to get back to listening to his symphonies (I'm halfway through, I believe.) I know I've barely scratched the surface with Martinů - he was so prolific across so many genres (especially orchestral and chamber music) that it will take a while to get as familiar with his music as I want to!

Thread duty: Even though it's not easy to acquire Gibson's Sibelius symphony cycle on disc, it *is* readily available on Spotify:

Sibelius
Symphony no. 3
Symphony no. 7
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Sir Alexander Gibson

(on Spotify)

They may not replace Colin Davis/Boston Symphony as my favorite Sibelius cycle, but there's a lot to love in these performances. Gibson is a master at keeping the tension going!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 08, 2021, 05:35:57 PM
A Martinů-a-thon is *always* a good thing! ;D I need to get back to listening to his symphonies (I'm halfway through, I believe.) I know I've barely scratched the surface with Martinů - he was so prolific across so many genres (especially orchestral and chamber music) that it will take a while to get as familiar with his music as I want to!

Thread duty: Even though it's not easy to acquire Gibson's Sibelius symphony cycle on disc, it *is* readily available on Spotify:

Sibelius
Symphony no. 3
Symphony no. 7
Sir Alexander Gibson

(on Spotify)

They may not replace Colin Davis/Boston Symphony as my favorite Sibelius cycle, but there's a lot to love in these performances. Gibson is a master at keeping the tension going!

Yes, indeed. 8) I hope you continue your exploration of Martinů's music. He has been a composer that has brought me so much joy and, most of all, emotional/intellectual fulfillment. He's certainly one-of-a-kind and if you're going to start a collection of his music, my only suggestion is to stop after the 40th disc as this might be enough. ;) ;D

Mirror Image

Last works for the night:

Stravinsky
Duo concertant
Ilya Gringolts (violin), Peter Laul (piano)

The Duo concertant is one of my favorite works from Stravinsky and there's no doubting the authoritative performances from Gringolts and Laul. This is the performance that made this work come alive for me. Exquisite from start to finish.

Sibelius
Kullervo, Op. 7
Raili Kostia, Usko Viitanen
Bournemouth SO, Helsinki University Male Choir
Berglund

The best Kullervo I've ever heard (and there are many fine ones besides this one of course), but Berglund is in his element here. In fact, I never heard a bad recording with him when he was conducting the Bournemouth SO. Anyway...superb!

Symphonic Addict

Happy day to a unique composer!

Sibelius: Symphony No. 3 (currently my least favorite). I'm loving it right now, nonetheless.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: "Harry" on December 08, 2021, 01:52:15 AM
Bo Linde.

Orchestral Works Volume II.

A Merry Overture.
Musica Concertante.
Suite Variee.
Suite Boulogne.
Gävle SO, Petter Sundkvist.
SACD recording.

First listen.

Remarkable composer and music!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 07, 2021, 06:02:22 PM
My interest is piqued by that Timpani Concerto! I haven't heard much Aho, sadly - I remember having the disc of his Tuba and Contrabassoon Concerti, and being fascinated by his writing for the solo instruments.

That Aho CD is outstanding. You'll appreciate both concertos' qualities.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 03:26:08 PM
I wouldn't she's overlooked, but she is ignored it seems. For me, I just don't care much about her music. I'm stuck in the 19th Century and early to mid 20th Century it seems, but that is where I'm the happiest. Oh well, we like what we like!

I admit I haven't heard any note by this composer yet, but in the meantime I can understand that it's not wrong. We will live without hearing music by many composers in this life.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 08, 2021, 08:05:06 PM
I admit I haven't heard any note by this composer yet, but in the meantime I can understand that it's not wrong. We will live without hearing music by many composers in this life.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 08, 2021, 07:58:00 PM

Sibelius: Symphony No. 3 (currently my least favorite). I'm loving it right now, nonetheless.

Pounds the table!

Mirror Image

Ah what the hell, one more work before bed...

Sibelius
Symphony No. 7 in C major, Op. 105
Berliners
HvK

Linz

Decembers Download from Berkies Site is  a Bruckner 7  conducted by Anton Nanut and the Slovenian Symphony Orchestra

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 08, 2021, 07:58:00 PM

and Kamu's performance is one of the best. Personally I like No.3, especially the finale.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 08, 2021, 12:09:46 PM
Thanks so much for the info! The Spring Song is lovely, but like the article says, not quintessentially Sibelian; it reminded me vaguely of Grieg!

Thread duty: Backtracking to Bliss

Bliss
Piano concerto
Piano sonata
*Concerto for two pianos
Peter Donohoe, Martin Roscoe*, pianos
David Lloyd-Jones

(on Spotify)

The Piano Concerto is definitely a big and bold work, full of grand gestures. It seemed a little long at over 37 minutes, particularly the first movement; I think the slow movement really stuck with me the most. I rather enjoyed the virtuosic Piano Sonata, but the highlight of this recording was the Concerto for Two Pianos. Witty and charming with plenty of spiky sonorities, it reminded me in many places of the Concerto for Two Pianos of Poulenc - a work it predates by eight years! One wonders if Poulenc was familiar with Bliss's work.
I really like that Naxos Bliss CD. The PC might be a bit 'overblown' but it has some wonderful moments, especially the climax of the opening movement.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 07:14:03 PM
Last works for the night:

Stravinsky
Duo concertant
Ilya Gringolts (violin), Peter Laul (piano)

The Duo concertant is one of my favorite works from Stravinsky and there's no doubting the authoritative performances from Gringolts and Laul. This is the performance that made this work come alive for me. Exquisite from start to finish.

Sibelius
Kullervo, Op. 7
Raili Kostia, Usko Viitanen
Bournemouth SO, Helsinki University Male Choir
Berglund

The best Kullervo I've ever heard (and there are many fine ones besides this one of course), but Berglund is in his element here. In fact, I never heard a bad recording with him when he was conducting the Bournemouth SO. Anyway...superb!
+1 for Berglund's Bournemouth Kullervo (better than the Helsinki version I think).

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.