What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.

Complete Organ Works, Volume 11.

Ute Gremmel Geuchen plays on a Johann Andreas Silbermann organ 1709, Marmoutier, Eglise Abbatiale Saint Etienne, France.

Präludiums and Fugues, BWV: 553-560.
And miscellaneous pieces: BWV: 740/Anh69/561/749/750/711/716/Anh79/Deest/72/Anh52&53/744/574.

The Präludium und Fuge in G minor, BWV 558, is an all time favourite of mine.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Linz on December 08, 2021, 09:27:47 PM
Decembers Download from Berkies Site is  a Bruckner 7  conducted by Anton Nanut and the Slovenian Symphony Orchestra

I've just dipped into that - initial impressions are it really sounds not bad at all.  Nanut is one of those conductors who turns up on super-bargain CD's with the Ljubljana SO but in fact they are often pretty decent - his DSCH "Leningrad" and his Mahler 5 are perfectly respectable......

Florestan

This is an absolute corker of a recording. Desert island stuff.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Madiel

It's all the forum's fault. I haven't listened to this in 5 years and now I have to.

Holmboe, piano trio op.64

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Jacques Offenbach.

Orchestral Works.

Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Neeme Järvi.

Another highlight in my estimation of 2021. Järvi is well in his element here, and a fantastic sound to boot.

vers la flamme

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.7 in C major, op.105. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra

First listen to this recording. So far, it sounds like a good one.

Madiel

Holmboe, Concerto no.2 (for flute and violin)

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Tsaraslondon

This was a giveaway with BBC Music Magazine but strikes me as being a rather good performance, not that I'm totally convinced by the work. I'm beginning to think that, aside from Beethoven's 9th and Mahler's 2nd, I'm not really much taken with choral symphonies.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Madiel

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on December 09, 2021, 03:22:30 AM

This was a giveaway with BBC Music Magazine but strikes me as being a rather good performance, not that I'm totally convinced by the work. I'm beginning to think that, aside from Beethoven's 9th and Mahler's 2nd, I'm not really much taken with choral symphonies.

Not really a symphony. Nowadays some Mendelssohn symphony sets don't include it, and in the catalogue of his works it's listed as a large sacred choral work. Which in my view is a far more appropriate classification. If everyone just started calling it Lobgesang and got rid of calling it a symphony, people would approach it with a different mindset.

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on December 09, 2021, 12:42:57 AM
Johann Sebastian Bach.

Complete Organ Works, Volume 11.

Ute Gremmel Geuchen plays on a Johann Andreas Silbermann organ 1709, Marmoutier, Eglise Abbatiale Saint Etienne, France.

Präludiums and Fugues, BWV: 553-560.
And miscellaneous pieces: BWV: 740/Anh69/561/749/750/711/716/Anh79/Deest/72/Anh52&53/744/574.

The Präludium und Fuge in G minor, BWV 558, is an all time favourite of mine.

BWV 558 is lovely I agree -- my main reason for posting was that while searching for a performance on youtube to listen to, I noticed the wiki about it says that scholars now think it's not by J S Bach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Short_Preludes_and_Fugues#CITEREFD%C3%BCrr1987

I've ended up listening to Harald Vogal on pedal clavichord, all the preludes and fugues from the set are adorable I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Strauss in St. Petersburg.

Johann Strauss II
Newa-Polka, Dedicated to Queen Isabella II of Spain.
Persischer Marsch, Dedicated to Naser al-Din, Shah of Persia.
Russischer Marsch/Marsch of the Horse Guards, Dedicated to his Majesty Alexander III, Emperor of Russia.
Großfürstin Alexandra-Walzer.
Olga Polka, Dedicated to the Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna.
Alexandrinen Polka.
Abschied von St. Petersburg.
Bauern Polka,

Johan Strauss II and Josef Strauss.
Pizzicato Polka.

Johann Strauss II.
Großfürsten Marsch.
Vergnügungszug.
Wein, Weib, und Gesang, Waltz.
Krönungs Marsch, Dedicated to Tsar Alexander II.
Hofball Quadrille.
An der Wolga, Mon Salut.
St. Petersburg, Hommage. Quadrille nach Russischen Motifen.
Auf zum Tanz, Schnell-Polka.
Russische Marsch-Fantasie.
Alexander Quadrille, Serbian Quadrille No. 2, Dedicated to Prince Alexander Karadjordjevic.

Estonian National SO, Neeme Järvi.

Strauss as Strauss should be. I consider this one of the best CD'S I ever heard. In all respects a treasure. From the big Jarvi box.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on December 09, 2021, 03:38:50 AM
BWV 558 is lovely I agree -- my main reason for posting was that while searching for a performance on youtube to listen to, I noticed the wiki about it says that scholars now think it's not by J S Bach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Short_Preludes_and_Fugues#CITEREFD%C3%BCrr1987

I've ended up listening to Harald Vogal on pedal clavichord, all the preludes and fugues from the set are adorable I think.

Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Traverso

Haydn

Symphony No.48  "Maria Theresia"
Symphony No.49  "La Passione"

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on December 09, 2021, 03:38:50 AM

This has been a known fact for years, which is why it does not always appear in organ editions. They are probably the first organ works I heard. As a young man I had a friend (he lives now in the UK as a Trappist monk)who was a church organist and through him I came into contact with these beautiful works which are not too difficult to play.
The famous Toccata is also a composition that raises doubts that it is from Bach. But if Bach didn't compose it, who did?   :)

Iota

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 05:13:16 PM
A Martinů-a-thon is happening it seems:

Piano Quintet No. 2, H. 298
Kocian Quartet, Ivan Klánský

Great works both piano quintets, with some sensationally beautiful moments. I've been listening to the Naxos recording of them (Martinu Quartet/Karel Kosarek) quite a bit recently.

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on December 09, 2021, 04:02:59 AM
Strauss in St. Petersburg.

Johann Strauss II
Newa-Polka, Dedicated to Queen Isabella II of Spain.
Persischer Marsch, Dedicated to Naser al-Din, Shah of Persia.
Russischer Marsch/Marsch of the Horse Guards, Dedicated to his Majesty Alexander III, Emperor of Russia.
Großfürstin Alexandra-Walzer.
Olga Polka, Dedicated to the Grand Duchess Olga Feodorovna.
Alexandrinen Polka.
Abschied von St. Petersburg.
Bauern Polka,

Johan Strauss II and Josef Strauss.
Pizzicato Polka.

Johann Strauss II.
Großfürsten Marsch.
Vergnügungszug.
Wein, Weib, und Gesang, Waltz.
Krönungs Marsch, Dedicated to Tsar Alexander II.
Hofball Quadrille.
An der Wolga, Mon Salut.
St. Petersburg, Hommage. Quadrille nach Russischen Motifen.
Auf zum Tanz, Schnell-Polka.
Russische Marsch-Fantasie.
Alexander Quadrille, Serbian Quadrille No. 2, Dedicated to Prince Alexander Karadjordjevic.

Estonian National SO, Neeme Järvi.

Strauss as Strauss should be. I consider this one of the best CD'S I ever heard. In all respects a treasure. From the big Jarvi box.

That CD does make me smile!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on December 09, 2021, 04:44:11 AM
Haydn

Symphony No.48  "Maria Theresia"
Symphony No.49  "La Passione"

Love it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on December 09, 2021, 05:22:06 AM
This has been a known fact for years, which is why it does not always appear in organ editions. They are probably the first organ works I heard. As a young man I had a friend (he lives now in the UK as a Trappist monk)who was a church organist and through him I came into contact with these beautiful works which are not too difficult to play.
The famous Toccata is also a composition that raises doubts that it is from Bach. But if Bach didn't compose it, who did?   :)

I played in a band transcription of the C Major Little Prelude & Fugue when I was a young clarinetist.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

TD

CD 6

Il Cimento dell'Armonia e dell'Inventione, Op. 8 Nos. 1—6
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Returning again to the song cycle of Alexander Tcherepnin called My Flowering Staff:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Zzr-u2Ajckw
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)