What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

NP: Chávez Suite for Double Quartet (Southwest Chamber Music)

André

Quote from: aligreto on January 16, 2022, 01:43:47 PM
The music of Arnold is a new venture for me and I have been previously exposed to very little of it. It is a planned project for 2022.

Karl Henning

This one has always felt to me like something of a presage to the Clarinet Concerto:

"Wolferl"
Pf Cto in A, K. 488
Volodya Ashkenazy
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quite interesting and worth investigating.

VonStupp

PI Tchaikovsky
Orchestral Suite 2 in C major, Op. 53
New Philharmonia Orchestra - Antal Doráti

Love the accordions!
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

foxandpeng

Quote from: André on January 16, 2022, 02:16:51 PM

Quite interesting and worth investigating.

Agreed! I am a huge fan of these releases from the Milken Archive. Exposure for Jewish composers has always been an area of interest for me, and there are some gems in there.

Thanks for sharing!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on January 12, 2022, 03:14:10 AM
You might try the Chandos recording Jeffrey, with Järvi at the helm. It is in my opinion superior to the Naxos disc, albeit more expensive, but well worth the investment. :)
Sorry I missed this message Harry. I'll look out for the Jarvi. Coincidentally I just received this today:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on January 11, 2022, 01:36:06 PM
Not by me, he is one of my favourite composers, and I admire and love his music very much.
Pleased to hear it Harry! I was thinking about Bax today. I think very highly of all of his symphonies, which have meant a lot to me since my late teenage years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Jewish String Quartets
Darius Milhaud 'Etudes'
Ruth Schonthal SQ 3
Juilliard String Quartet
Bingham Quartet
Milken Archive
Naxos American Classics

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 12, 2022, 05:45:23 AM
Starting an Hindemith exploration :

Last night :

Kammermusik No.1 Op.24/1
5 Stücke Op.44/4

Now:

Konzertmusik for Piano, Brass and 2 Harps Op.49
The Four Temperaments

Colour me intrigued.

Love the Op. 49, especially.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 12, 2022, 05:45:23 AM
Starting an Hindemith exploration :

Last night :

Kammermusik No.1 Op.24/1
5 Stücke Op.44/4

Now:

Konzertmusik for Piano, Brass and 2 Harps Op.49
The Four Temperaments

Colour me intrigued.

Love the Op. 49, especially.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on January 16, 2022, 03:35:21 PM
Pleased to hear it Harry! I was thinking about Bax today. I think very highly of all of his symphonies, which have meant a lot to me since my late teenage years.

I have had a real love for Bax, ever since being exposed to a clarinettist friend of mine sat up late with me on a young people's camp, while he practised his Grade 8 performance pieces after everyone else had gone to bed. I remember the lyricism and passion with which he played, and the evangelical zeal with which he spoke of Bax's music. He's held a special place ever since.

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 16, 2022, 03:47:24 PM
I have had a real love for Bax, ever since being exposed to a clarinettist friend of mine sat up late with me on a young people's camp, while he practised his Grade 8 performance pieces after everyone else had gone to bed. I remember the lyricism and passion with which he played, and the evangelical zeal with which he spoke of Bax's music. He's held a special place ever since.
Most interesting Danny. I owe many of my early musical discoveries to the High Street Kensington Record Library near to my home in London when I was growing up. However I think that I came across Bax's 3rd Symphony (RCA LP, LSO/Edward Downes) in the record library at Lancaster University where I was a student. They had a 'Listening Room' with a turntable and headphones and I listened to that LP over and over and over again. I never looked back with Bax.

Mirror Image

NP: Saint-Saëns Oboe Sonata in D major, Op. 166 (Nicholas Daniel/Julian Drake)

André

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 16, 2022, 03:31:04 PM
Agreed! I am a huge fan of these releases from the Milken Archive. Exposure for Jewish composers has always been an area of interest for me, and there are some gems in there.

Thanks for sharing!

Giving the violin concerto another spin as I write  :)

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on January 16, 2022, 03:53:58 PM
Most interesting Danny. I owe many of my early musical discoveries to the High Street Kensington Record Library near to my home in London when I was growing up. However I think that I came across Bax's 3rd Symphony (RCA LP, LSO/Edward Downes) in the record library at Lancaster University where I was a student. They had a 'Listening Room' with a turntable and headphones and I listened to that LP over and over and over again. I never looked back with Bax.

I wish I'd had something like this. Your knowledge is always something that prompts me to stretch my listening. For a variety of tedious reasons, uniiversity didn't land with me until my early 30's, by which time CDs had popped into existence. I spent many hours borrowing CDs from a friend and listening on my CD Walkman in the theological library of my college while battling an MTh. I heard a great many dubiously recorded Vienna Masters releases from Pilz in those years!

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: André on January 16, 2022, 04:09:38 PM
Giving the violin concerto another spin as I write  :)

It's on my list for the morning, André!

Time & Eternity
Kol Nidre
John Zorn
Patricia Kopatchinskaja
Camerata Bern

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Final post tonight. Honest. Sleep well, GMGers.

Einojuhani Rautavaara
Vigilia
Helsinki Chamber Choir
Nils Schweckendiek
BIS

Tolstoy

VonStupp

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 16, 2022, 08:43:07 AM

In band transcription, it was probably the first Tchaikovsky work I heard live!

Nice! Was it decent?

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."