Mirror Image

NP:

Debussy
Jeux, L. 126
Singapore SO
Shui

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 16, 2022, 04:14:45 PM
I wish I'd had something like this. Your knowledge is always something that prompts me to stretch my listening. For a variety of tedious reasons, uniiversity didn't land with me until my early 30's, by which time CDs had popped into existence. I spent many hours borrowing CDs from a friend and listening on my CD Walkman in the theological library of my college while battling an MTh. I heard a great many dubiously recorded Vienna Masters releases from Pilz in those years!
Interesting Danny. I was lucky, in that sense, to be brought up in Central London. That record library had a huge range of lesser-known classical music. You could take out three LPs at a time, so I got my Dad (who listened mainly to Frank Sinatra) to join so that i could take out 6 LPs. I remember taking out the following for example:
Klaus Egge, Symphony No.1, VW Concerto for Two Pianos/Symphony No.8, Miaskovsky Symphony No.3, Janis Ivanovs Symphony 11 (still not on CD), Rubbra Symphony No.5, Cyril Scott, Piano Concerto No.1 etcetc.

Now playing:
Leo Ornstein (1893-2002)
Violin Sonata No.1. He must be the longest lived composer!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on January 16, 2022, 03:32:20 PM
Sorry I missed this message Harry. I'll look out for the Jarvi. Coincidentally I just received this today:

I did not even know this MDG recording existed, so I will dive into it, meanwhile let me know what you think of it!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on January 16, 2022, 11:26:31 PM
I did not even know this MDG recording existed, so I will dive into it, meanwhile let me know what you think of it!
Will do Harry. Hope to play it soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 17, 2022, 12:23:11 AM
A cracker!

Definitely Lol! I think that your enthusiasm for the work influenced me. I much prefer the LP cover art and I'm sorry that the Fremaux box isn't an 'Original Jackets' one but I guess that would have made it more expensive. Fremaux's (premiere) performance is terrific and very atmospheric.

I'm surprised by how much I've been enjoying this Ornstein chamber music CD on Brilliant. The first Violin Sonata is quite 'French impressionists' but also original. No.2 is a bit too avant garde, modernistic, plink-plonk for my liking but the Hebraic Fantasy and posthumous Violin Sonata are very fine, melodic and soulful works;

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on June 01, 2021, 09:52:29 AM

https://www.kairos-music.com/cds/0018004kai

Echoes of Eloy and Stockhausen and Oliveros in this music. I'm enjoying this CD more than the one released by the Jack Quartet for some reason.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

JS Bach: Sonatas for Violin & Harpsichord BWV 1017-1019 [Musica Antiqua Koln]

I like this music and there are many versions of it around. Musica Antiqua Koln do it justice with sparkling and lively performances. I particularly like the harpsichord lines and performances here.

Traverso

Music in Versailles

This is a special recording, with that I don't say anything new of course, this is a classic.
Nevertheless, it is worth bringing this pearl to the attention again.
The opening begins with a piece by Marin Marais played with a graceful elegance that is exemplary in its naturalness.
The impressive Prélude in D minor is performed convincingly by Leonhardt. This is how it should be played, authoritative, and refined. This aristocratically breathing performance is unsurpassed in my opinion in optimal expressiveness. The cembalo is almost ideally recorded.
These are the absolute highlights of the CD for me, the other pieces by Forqueray are also very convincing in their approach.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on January 16, 2022, 03:32:20 PM
Sorry I missed this message Harry. I'll look out for the Jarvi. Coincidentally I just received this today:

Joining in on the Ibert-appreciation society - this is an excellent disc (as long as Dutoit is not completely now beyond the pale).  I love "Paris" - such a joyfully pictorial work....

My introduction to the ubiquitous Divertissement was this great CFP LP;

This LP was notable for a couple of versions - the Divertissement is "properly" played by a chamber/theatre orchestra-sized group - so just a couple of string players per part - which reflects the work's origins as incidental music.  Also the 2nd side was devoted to Leonard Salzedo's very appealing "The Witch Boy" ballet suite.  This recording has neve made it to CD - Salzedo's work in general deserves to be revived.  I'd love to hear the Witch Boy complete......

Traverso

Monteverdi

Vespri Di San Giovanni Baptista

Florestan

This is my very first exposure to Sullivan's music and right up my alley it is. I need more.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2022, 12:37:08 PM
First-Listen Franck!

Piano Quintet in F minor (David Lively, Quatuor Malibran)

From this set -

Pounds the table! The performances in that set are so fiery and passionate - and certainly the reference versions for the stunning early piano trios.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 16, 2022, 09:40:43 PM
Now playing:
Leo Ornstein (1893-2002)
Violin Sonata No.1. He must be the longest lived composer!

I'd forgotten this set exists - thanks for reminding me of it! I know Ornstein's Piano Quintet, which in its smoldering intensity and haunting lyricism is completely on par with, perhaps even exceeding, Bloch's Piano Quintet no. 1. His two cello sonatas are also beautiful works in a more Impressionistic vein, tinged with Hebraic influences.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on January 17, 2022, 03:13:00 AM

This is my very first exposure to Sullivan's music and right up my alley it is. I need more.

Do try this disc;

Pineapple Poll is as close as you'll get to a brilliant medley of Sullivan's great tunes he composed for the Gilbert & Sullivan operettas.  The Symphony is him trying to be more "serious" but it's still very attractive.  For more of his incidental music I always love an old CBSO disc - 

which is available on CD but much of the same music is also as part of the Naxos/Marco Polo series of releases.....

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 17, 2022, 03:35:00 AM
Do try this disc;

Pineapple Poll is as close as you'll get to a brilliant medley of Sullivan's great tunes he composed for the Gilbert & Sullivan operettas.  The Symphony is him trying to be more "serious" but it's still very attractive.  For more of his incidental music I always love an old CBSO disc - 

which is available on CD but much of the same music is also as part of the Naxos/Marco Polo series of releases.....

Thanks for the tips.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

foxandpeng

Anton Bruckner
Symphony 2 (1877 version; Nowak ed.)
Northern Sinfonia
Mario Venzago
CPO
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Rinaldo

I'm treating myself with a Dvořák afternoon, right now it's Dorati's turn.