What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz

Listening to a 2 CD set of Koussevitzky Tchaikovsky Symphonies 4, 5 & 6

SonicMan46

Devienne, Francois (1759-1803) - Flute, Oboe, & Bassoon Chamber Works on the CDs below w/ much period instruments appearances!  Devienne was a virtuoso flutist (and bassoonist), composer, and professor of flute at the Paris Conservatory; his output comprises approximately 300 instrumental works that are mostly written for wind instruments (Source). These discs make up about half of my collection of this composer, so maybe more to come?  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Vitezslava Kapralova: Military Sinfonietta.

Carlo Gesualdo

Claudio Monteverdi

[asin]B00L5J4QHS[/asin]
that is a lot  to hear for a life time yes indeed it is!  :laugh:  ;D ;)

kyjo

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 17, 2022, 07:16:26 AM
Arensky - Piano Trio No.1
Beaux Arts Trio

A wonderful, eloquently lyrical work. I was just listening to this stunning recording of it the other day:

It's a pity that the Wilkomirski Trio doesn't seem to have made any other recordings, because this is truly exciting music-making! The Piano Trio No. 2 is a great work, too, not deserving of being overshadowed by No. 1
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 17, 2022, 09:05:17 AM
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's DZ 01002 Symphony No. 4 
    Charles Mackerras, Prague Chamber Orchestra

I'm afraid much of Mozart washes over me as sublime but dispassionate loveliness. This "symphony" is pretty typical. The pop-music of 18th Century Vienna, I guess.

I'm expecting Andrei (Florestan) to have some strong words for you..... ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 17, 2022, 10:02:53 AM
Vitezslava Kapralova: Military Sinfonietta.

A striking work - by far the highlight of that disc IMO.

kyjo

Bliss: A Colour Symphony

This work is growing on me each time I hear it. It's brilliantly orchestrated and satisfyingly developed, no doubt, and is given an exciting performance here which is compromised a bit by rather muddy sonics.

Tubin: Symphony no. 1 (Swedish Radio SO/N. Jarvi)

The loudness and epic feeling of this work are exciting at first, but it becomes a bit wearisome after a while since Tubin does not provide many moments of more intimate lyricism or atmosphere to contrast. Not to mention that I don't find the thematic material to be very memorable. I can only but marvel at the significant improvement the magnificent 2nd Symphony marks over this one!

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on January 17, 2022, 10:54:36 AM
I'm expecting Andrei (Florestan) to have some strong words for you..... ;D

I'll just say that if one wants passionate symphonic Mozart, I'd recommend rather Symphony No. 40 than Symphony No. 4 --- not that there's anything wrong with the latter, mind you.  ;)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: kyjo on January 17, 2022, 10:51:25 AM
A wonderful, eloquently lyrical work. I was just listening to this stunning recording of it the other day:

It's a pity that the Wilkomirski Trio doesn't seem to have made any other recordings, because this is truly exciting music-making! The Piano Trio No. 2 is a great work, too, not deserving of being overshadowed by No. 1

Best recording of Arensky's piano trios out there.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on January 17, 2022, 08:34:32 AM
Some Beethoven this evening: Emil Gilels plays Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, op. 37, and Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, op. 58. George Szell conducts the Cleveland Orchestra.

CD 2 of this set:

Sweet!

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 17, 2022, 09:05:17 AM
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's DZ 01002 Symphony No. 4 
    Charles Mackerras, Prague Chamber Orchestra

I'm afraid much of Mozart washes over me as sublime but dispassionate loveliness. This "symphony" is pretty typical. The pop-music of 18th Century Vienna, I guess.

Mozart juvenilia I find entirely missable.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 17, 2022, 07:28:40 AM
That set looks familiar!  8)

I love these older Fenby-led Delius recordings. Thank goodness Heritage reissued this series!

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Quote from: Linz on January 17, 2022, 09:19:20 AM
Listening to a 2 CD set of Koussevitzky Tchaikovsky Symphonies 4, 5 & 6

Thoughts?

TD:

"Wolferl"
Pf Cto in C, K. 467
Volodya Ashkenazy
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 16, 2022, 04:27:48 PM
T O P N O TCH !!!

:)

Great to hear ! It's been in the pile for some time now. Will move it to the top...

André

A fine program. The Berg item is the composer's own transcription of the slow movement of his Chamber Concerto for 15 instruments. The Milhaud Suite is a jolly divertissement. Fine performances. The violinist and clarinetist are principals of the SWF Orchestra, Baden Baden.

aligreto

Arnold: Overtures [Arnold]

The Smoke
The Fair Field

Linz

Bruckner Symphony 7 from Chailly

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on January 17, 2022, 05:50:53 AM

Good to see you going through the same box. I will later listen to the first symphony with that third movement/scherzo with its cheerful space that is so typical Bruckner and so dear to me.  :)

I am enjoying it so far, Jan. I hope that you will too.
It is my first time to hear Chailly conduct the entire cycle.

JBS

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 17, 2022, 07:26:22 AM
Some time ago I decided I didn't need this set (I have all of the numbered symphonies in other recordings) but maybe I should reconsider...

I heartily endorse getting it. [I heard it recently via the Warner Saint Saens box.] I think it's the best performance of the Third I've heard, and the two unnumbered symphonies should not be overlooked.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk