What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Frank Bridge.
Orchestral Works, Volume I
The Collector's Edition.
BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Richard Hickox.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Hat tip Roasted Swann.

The Symphony is Mendelssohnian through and through (it even quotes directly from him) and although lacking the ineffable charm of the original, it's a pleasant work nonetheless.

Mackerras'confection is not half bad either.

A very enjoyable disc.

The piano sounds rather heavy on the bass side even in the treble but the performance is quite good.

KV 496.

One of Mozart's most gentle and amiable works yet full of delicate nuances and shades. A summer breeze in the afternoon over hills and meadows. Exquisite.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 17, 2022, 07:07:45 PM
Wow! Those are major words! To be honest, I don't remember his VC with that strong vividness.

Regarding the Tchaikovsky-Strauss connection, they're quite apt. It's impossible not to be reminded of them when hearing some Karlowicz's orchestral works.

Obviously, there are many VCs that I love, but there's something very special and enchanting about the rapturous melodic invention of Karlowicz's that I find irresistible. You must revisit it! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 17, 2022, 07:44:58 PM
First-Listen Monday

Hahn
Piano Quintet in F sharp minor
Quatuor Parisii, Alexandre Tharaud

From this OOP set:

My favorite work by Hahn that I know. Superbly tuneful stuff! It's hard for me to get that opening theme out of my head whenever I hear it. That's a great performance, too!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Irons on January 17, 2022, 11:38:46 PM

Rangstrom holds a special place. The 3rd Symphony is my favourite (not heard 4th) also rate highly the 1st. On paper the 2nd should be a favourite with its pastoral overtones but I do not enjoy quite as much as the other two.

Rangström's 3rd Symphony is a remarkable work full of fantasy, danger, and wizardry. It also manages to avoid the rather brass-heavy writing that his other symphonies can lapse into.

ritter

Debussy's Études, played by Roger Muraro. First listen to this recording. So far, so good (perhaps even very good, but not among my favourites). Will require further listening to have a stronger opinion. The Messiaen "reconstruction" that serves as a filler will have to wait for another occasion.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 18, 2022, 04:46:51 AM
My favorite work by Hahn that I know. Superbly tuneful stuff! It's hard for me to get that opening theme out of my head whenever I hear it. That's a great performance, too!

It certainly is, indeed, Kyle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 18, 2022, 04:59:25 AM
Debussy's Études, played by Roger Muraro. First listen to this recording. So far, so good (perhaps even very good, but not among my favourites). Will require further listening to have a stronger opinion. The Messiaen "reconstruction" that serves as a filler will have to wait for another occasion.

Very nice, Rafael. I'm rather ambivalent about much of the Debussy Harmonia Mundi series. I thought so many of the performances were about average and none of them displace already well-established favorites. And a good day to you.

Traverso

Bach

Concertos for recorder  BWV1055,1053 & 1059

Papy Oli

Olivier

Harry

Johann Ludwig Krebs.

Complete Works for Organ.
CD III.

Felix Friedrichs plays on a Trost Organ, 1739, in der Schlosskirche zu Altenburg.
Norbert Kaschel, Barockoboe.

Harry

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 18, 2022, 06:19:17 AM
    Alexander Glazunov's Symphony No. 4 
    Neeme Järvi, Bamberg Symphony Orchestra

A fun piece: not one I recall listening to before, either.

I treasure that set, and will soon start listening to them after I did the excellent Warner set with Serebrier.

Spotted Horses

Listened to two pieces by John Ireland, Mai-Dun and A Forgotten Rite, recorded by John Barbirolli, with the Halle Orchestra in 1949.

These recordings are included in the Barbirolli Complete Warner Box set.

The audio, originally issued on 12" shellac discs, is surprisingly good for it's age. Mai-Dun is characterized by extravagant orchestration, and strains the limits of 1949 recording technology, but the audio on A Forgotten Rite is quite satisfying. They didn't have the technology to manipulate the sound in those days so it is refreshingly natural.

Barbirolli's performance of A Forgotten Rite is simply exquisite, with beautiful control of the pieces slowly developing climaxes and periods of repose.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Glazunov: From the Middle Ages. Nikolai Golovanov/USSR.

Traverso

Rimsky-Korsakov

Sheherazade
The Tale of Tsar Saltan
The Fight of the Bumblebee

L'Orchestra de la Suis Romande

SonicMan46

Devienne - finishing up my collection today - below, a post from 2 years ago w/ the 3 bassoon works - since that time a new acquisition, i.e. Viola & Flute Duos; apparently despite the endings of their last names, the two are brother and sister - from his website "his own family project with his sister, flutist Ewa Murawska - 6 Duos for flute and viola composed by F. Devienne".  Dave :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 29, 2020, 07:55:39 AM
Devienne, Francois (1759-1893) - Bassoon Chamber Music shown below - continuing my listening to this Parisian wind man!  Devienne primarily performed on a bassoon and also the flute, hence the dominance of these instruments in his list of compositions (c. 300 instrumental works).  Dave

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 18, 2022, 06:51:54 AM
Listened to two pieces by John Ireland, Mai-Dun and A Forgotten Rite, recorded by John Barbirolli, with the Halle Orchestra in 1949.

These recordings are included in the Barbirolli Complete Warner Box set.

The audio, originally issued on 12" shellac discs, is surprisingly good for it's age. Mai-Dun is characterized by extravagant orchestration, and strains the limits of 1949 recording technology, but the audio on A Forgotten Rite is quite satisfying. They didn't have the technology to manipulate the sound in those days so it is refreshingly natural.

Barbirolli's performance of A Forgotten Rite is simply exquisite, with beautiful control of the pieces slowly developing climaxes and periods of repose.
I love both of those Ireland scores. Must search my CDs out.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Anton Bruckner
Symphony 3
Riccardo Chailly

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy