What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz

Bruckner 8 with Riccardo Chailly with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam

Mirror Image

First-Listen Tuesday

Dutilleux
Trois Tableaux symphoniques
Valérie Hartmann-Claverie (ondes martenot)
Orchestre National des Pays de la Loire
Pascal Rophé

Great stuff! I love the use of the ondes martenot. It reminds me what if Koechlin and Messiaen collaborated together and had some Second Viennese School influence thrown into the stylistic pot.

André

2-disc set of late works by Rosetti. We get his oratorio Jesus in Gethsemane on disc 1 (50 minutes) and disc 2 contains the other 2 works, consisting of a large-scale cantata (Hallelujah) and a set of 4 soprano arias from a lost Salve Regina.

Some bio-musical details deserve consideration here :

Rosetti was an almost exact contemporary of Mozart. Despite his name he was not italian. He was born František Antonín Rösler in Leitmeritz in what is now the Czech Republic but was then part of the Austrian Empire (German and Czech-speaking people formed equal contingents of that region, once part of the so-called Sudetenland). Rosetti spent all his study years and career in Saxony, where he was known as Anton Rösler. Professionally he adopted an italianized version of his name.

In terms of his musical style he was somewhere between C.P.E. Bach and Haydn (mid-period Haydn). He is mostly known nowadays for his symphonies and concertos (Mozart's horn concertos are strongly influenced by Rosetti's). His music is bold and colourful, his melodies finely etched. Bach's Israelites in the Desert and Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus as well as Haydn's Il Ritorno di Tobia come to mind when seeking musical reference points. Lovers of both composers should be pleased. Excellent performances by the PI Mecklemburg ensemble. The soprano and tenor soloists are outstanding.

Mirror Image

First-Listen Tuesday

Franck
Le Chasseur maudit
Royal Scottish NO
Jean-Luc Tingaud

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 12:02:47 PM
First-Listen Tuesday

Franck
Le Chasseur maudit
Royal Scottish NO
Jean-Luc Tingaud

I think that Tingaud is an excellent conductor.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 18, 2022, 12:15:55 PM

From the way this Franck performance went, I'm certainly inclined to agree with you, Dry Brett.

André

I don't find Böhm/Dresden's Alpensinfonie sober or straitlaced as has been mentioned in different music publications. The orchestra is enthusiastically playing at (and sometimes above) their considerable technical capacities, and Böhm keeps a tight rein on the proceedings - which is not the same thing as being straitlaced. He cleverly alternates between tightening the screws and letting the orchestra (winds esp.) express themselves lyrically in the quieter sections. There's plenty of musical risk-taking considering the huge demands of the score. What is not to be denied about this recording though is that it is sonically a bit dated. There is little depth of soundstage, with the whole orchestra seemingly cramming the front. That being said, the dynamics are wide-ranging and there is no shortage of decibels in the Storm sequence.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 18, 2022, 12:20:53 PM

I don't find Böhm/Dresden's Alpensinfonie sober or straitlaced as has been mentioned in different music publications. The orchestra is enthusiastically playing at (and sometimes above) their considerable technical capacities, and Böhm keeps a tight rein on the proceedings - which is not the same thing as being straitlaced. He cleverly alternates between tightening the screws and letting the orchestra (winds esp.) express themselves lyrically in the quieter sections. There's plenty of musical risk-taking considering the huge demands of the score. What is not to be denied about this recording though is that it is sonically a bit dated. There is little depth of soundstage, with the whole orchestra seemingly cramming the front. That being said, the dynamics are wide-ranging and there is no shortage of decibels in the Storm sequence.

Excellent, Andre. 8) Looks like a good recording --- even if it is in mono, which are there are some fine mono recordings, especially 50s recordings.

Linz

Listening to the CD2 from this Tallis set

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 18, 2022, 12:15:55 PM

Slightly disturbing avatar DBV!!

Mirror Image

First-Listen Tuesday

Franck
Violin Sonata in A
Isabelle Faust, Alexander Melnikov

Linz

Haydn Symphonies 17 - 21 with Roy Goodman and the Hanover Band

premont

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 09:42:36 AM
Believe it or not, I have that. I might even listen to it one of these days.  :D

So do I. I haven't listened to it for years.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 18, 2022, 11:08:41 AM
Last night:

Respighi
Metamorphoseon, Modi XII
Philharmonia Orchestra
Geoffrey Simon

Listened twice, once with score (available on IMSLP) and once without. Even if it didn't make the impression on me that Brazilian Impressions and (especially) Church Windows did, it's still a fine work, and spectacularly orchestrated.

Thanks for the report! Metamorphoseon has become my very favorite work by Respighi - as much as I love many of his other works. In addition to the typical Respighian orchestral wizardry that's present, I find that this work possesses a depth and sincerity that is really touching and even haunting. The Simon/Philharmonia recording is of course great, but I'd recommend John Neschling's recent recording with the Liège Philharmonic on BIS as well. It's a more spacious, intimate approach and is stunningly recorded. And, importantly, I find the playing of the principal soloists to be more secure in the crucial Cadenza movement than in the Simon/Philharmonia version.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 18, 2022, 01:18:09 PM
Slightly disturbing avatar DBV!!

I am sorry, I thought that everybody would like Dr. Lecter (and Clarice).  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 18, 2022, 03:04:28 PM
I am sorry, I thought that everybody would like Dr. Lecter!  ;D

Can't help thinking of fava beans and Chianti
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2022, 09:40:21 AM

https://www.discogs.com/release/6075557-Ferrara-Ensemble-Crawford-Young-Hildebrandston-Chansonniers-Allemands-Du-XVe-Si%C3%A8cle

Que - this is one you should try to hear, given your interest in, for want of a better word, "pious" music. Deprofundis too.

Ferrara Ensemble are rather good I think - maybe, from all those early music ensembles which came out of Michel Bernstein's stables, Ferrara Ensemble is the one I like the most - they are the most sensual.

I definitely like the Ferrara Ensemble - will look into it.  0:)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 18, 2022, 03:05:36 PM
Can't help thinking of fava beans and Chianti

I always think that a harpsichord, rather than piano, version of Goldberg Variations should have been used in the movie.

André

Disc 4: after an icily erotic Debussy Prélude Mravinsky conducts a tense, spooky Bartok MSPC and a harrowing, teeth clenching Honegger Liturgique. All the performances on these 7 discs were taped (in good stereo) while Mravinsky took his Leningraders on tour to the Capital. Clearly conductor and orchestra were on a mission: prove to Moscow that USSR's most sophisticated and best orchestra was from Leningrad. Risks were taken and overcome. Some of these performances have not been equalled IMO.

foxandpeng

Anton Bruckner
Complete Symphonies
Symphony 3
Eliahu Inbal
Frankfurt RSO

This is excellent, but then, I think I prefer the 1873 version so will lean here in any case.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy