What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on January 19, 2022, 05:32:16 AM
He has a few good works, but I've shared your experience with works like his 3rd Symphony (probably one of the most boring symphonies I've ever heard).

That's not only a sad landmark on the merits, but—there's a worthwhile symphony by a living composer which might have been served by those musical resources. And I'm not necessarily suggesting myself.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 19, 2022, 10:00:55 AM
That's not only a sad landmark on the merits, but—there's a worthwhile symphony by a living composer which might have been served by those musical resources. And I'm not necessarily suggesting myself.

Don't get ahead of yourself. I'm sure similar sad remarks were made about performances of works which are now considered masterpieces.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 08:41:13 AM
And? I still have this recording sealed.
The little opera was lovely. There are a couple of dialogue tracks, but about 48ish minutes of music. I did not listen to the coupling yet.

Linz

I will add Kubelik 3rd to the list

SonicMan46

Dussek, Jan (1760-1812) - Keyboard Sonatas on fortepiano (FP); first 3 volumes of 9 (plus another not numbered) shown below; Bart van Oort on a restored (2002) Lognman Clementi FP (London 1798-99); Piet Kuijken on an undescribed FP; and Alexei Lubimov using the same FP as van Oort. Dussek was considered one of the most outstanding pianists of his day and a respected composer; others took over that position after his death, including Liszt (more below and at the link).  Dave :)

QuoteDussek was one of the first piano virtuosos to travel widely throughout Europe. He performed at courts and concers from London to Saint Petersburg to Milan, and was celebrated for his technical prowess. During a nearly ten-year stay in London, he was instrumental in extending the size of the pianoforte, and was the recipient of one of John Broadwood's first 6-octave pianos, CC-c4. Harold Schonberg wrote that he was the first pianist to sit at the piano with his profile to the audience, earning him the appellation "le beau visage." All subsequent pianists have sat on stage in this manner. He was one of the best-regarded pianists in Europe before Beethoven's rise to prominence. (Source)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2022, 10:22:11 AM
The little opera was lovely. There are a couple of dialogue tracks, but about 48ish minutes of music. I did not listen to the coupling yet.

:o There's a coupling?!?!? Oh, now that's delightful, indeed.

[Runs to look at his own recording of this opera.] :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 19, 2022, 09:52:21 AMThread Duty, before I take the plunge into Ives: ;D

Respighi
Concerto gregoriano
Lydia Mordkovitch, violin
BBC Philharmonic
Sir Edward Downes

(on Spotify)

A beautiful work, with spots that reminded me of Vaughan Williams, but still wholly Respighi's own. Splendidly orchestrated too (but this goes without saying!) The performance was admirable if not without faults - it's certainly a fiendishly difficult violin part. The late Lydia Mordkovitch was a fine soloist indeed, but I'd love to see Hilary Hahn or James Ehnes add it to their repertoire!

I wouldn't hold your breath for Hahn or Ehnes to record the work. But there are many other fine performances of the work, like this one for example:

But in terms of performance and audio fidelity, the Mordkovitch/Downes is still my go-to recording for this work. The passion from all involved is noticeably evident from the first couple of measures.

P.S. Be sure to head over to the Ives thread, there are some posts that await you. :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 19, 2022, 10:27:09 AM
Dussek, Jan (1760-1812) - Keyboard Sonatas on fortepiano (FP); first 3 volumes of 9 (plus another not numbered) shown below; Bart van Oort on a restored (2002) Lognman Clementi FP (London 1798-99); Piet Kuijken on an undescribed FP; and Alexei Lubimov using the same FP as van Oort. Dussek was considered one of the most outstanding pianists of his day and a respected composer; others took over that position after his death, including Liszt (more below and at the link).  Dave :)

Van Oort, Kuijken, Lubimov...that's a great line up!

Mirror Image

First-Listen Wednesday

Hahn
Le Bal de Béatrice d'Este
Ensemble Initium, Orchestre des Pays de Savoie
Nicolas Chalvin

Enchanting!

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on January 19, 2022, 09:50:48 AM
Arnold: Overtures [Gamba]

A Grand Festival Overture
Peterloo
The Smoke

A well-polished performance  ;D

Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 10:46:33 AM
First-Listen Wednesday

Hahn
Le Bal de Béatrice d'Este
Ensemble Initium, Orchestre des Pays de Savoie
Nicolas Chalvin

Enchanting!

Pounds the table!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on January 19, 2022, 10:39:27 AM
Van Oort, Kuijken, Lubimov...that's a great line up!

Hi Que - the series starts out w/ the better known fortepianists (to me at least); subsequent volumes have different performers, except V. 9 when van Oort returns and shares the recording w/ Petra Somlai.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

NP:

Falla
El sombrero de tres picos
Teresa Berganza, mezzo-soprano
L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
Ansermet

vandermolen

Stokowski/Mussorgsky:
Boris Godunov Symphonic Synthesis.
This is very impressive for a 1936 recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 10:32:32 AM
I wouldn't hold your breath for Hahn or Ehnes to record the work. But there are many other fine performances of the work, like this one for example:

But in terms of performance and audio fidelity, the Mordkovitch/Downes is still my go-to recording for this work. The passion from all involved is noticeably evident from the first couple of measures.

Oh, I know the likelihood of a "household name" violinist taking it up are slim to none... not when the world is crying out for a 253rd recording of the Brahms concerto! ::) (not to detract from either Hahn or Ehnes, both of whom I admire greatly.)

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 10:32:32 AM
P.S. Be sure to head over to the Ives thread, there are some posts that await you. :)

I'm on my way there as we speak! Let the Ives-a-thon begin! ;D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Linz

The Third that sent me on to Bruckner in the first place was this Inbal recording of the 3rd

foxandpeng

Quote from: Linz on January 19, 2022, 11:36:31 AM
The Third that sent me on to Bruckner in the first place was this Inbal recording of the 3rd

Not sure whether it is the same recording or a subsequent cycle, but I appreciate this Inbal very much.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

ritter

Mirror Image's purchase today of the pioneering Webern set, conducted or —depending on the work— under the "musical direction" of Robert Craft on Sony, prompted  me to revisit it. Now listening to CD 3 (opp. 21 through 27).

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 19, 2022, 12:04:12 PM
Mirror Image's purchase today of the pioneering Webern set, conducted or —depending on the work— under the "musical direction" of Robert Craft on Sony, prompted  me to revisit it. Now listening to CD 3 (opp. 21 through 27).

Very nice, indeed, Rafael. I'm curious to know how you find the audio quality so far? Thanks in advance.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 12:22:40 PM
Very nice, indeed, Rafael. I'm curious to know how you find the audio quality so far? Thanks in advance.
Mono, but very clear. No complaints from me in that regard.