What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, Linz, Roasted Swan (+ 2 Hidden) and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 19, 2022, 12:25:24 PM
Mono, but very clear. No complaints from me in that regard.

Thanks, Rafael. It's a historic set, so I definitely had to own it.

SonicMan46

Dussek, Jan - Keyboard Sonatas - continuing my perusal of this fortepiano (FP) series, V. 4-6 w/ Tuija Hakkila on two FPs (one restored, the other a copy) dating from the late 1790s; Wolfgang Brunner also on two diferent FPs (one a copy after Michael Rosenberger, Vienna, c. 1810; the other an original, likely restored, by John Broadwood, London, 1804; and Viviana Sofronitsky on a Paul McNulty copy after A. Walter, 1792; 3 volumes left, maybe for tomorrow?  Dave :)

Linz

Now for one of my Favorite 3rds with Remy Ballot with the Almonte Orchestra St. Florien it is a slow and majestic reading

Linz

Yes I believe the Inbal recording From the set is the same as the one I posted

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 12:27:58 PM
Thanks, Rafael. It's a historic set, so I definitely had to own it.
It certainly is. In his memoirs, An Improbable Life, that I'm skimming through now, Craft mentions how difficult it was to get this Webern project off the ground, and how initially some of the musicians involved were hostile to a music that then was still very new and unknown. He had to work with photocopies of the manuscript scores, which Universal Edition made available only at Stravinsky's express request. The latter even threatened Columbia to stop recording his own works if the Webern LPs weren't relessed. In a footnote, though, Craft then proceeds to blow his own horn by quoting David Schiff of the NYT: "Mr. Craft attained worldwide fame in the mid-1950s with his set of the complete works of Schoenberg's disciple, Anton Webern, an album that soon became as essential to an intellectual's library as a copy of James Joyce's Ulysses".   :D

THREAD DUTY:

Following the Webern with Craft's recording of several Gesualdo madrigals (the pairing of both composers, along with Stravinsky, was typical of Craft's concerts in the 1950s —and it makes a lot of sense IMHO).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 19, 2022, 10:16:52 AM
Don't get ahead of yourself.

No fear! Reason tells me that all the symphonies of all the dead composers will be recorded before any symphony of mine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on January 19, 2022, 01:02:44 PM
It certainly is. In his memoirs, An Improbable Life, that I'm skimming through now, Craft mentions how difficult it was to get this Webern project off the ground, and how initially some of the musicians involved were hostile to a music that then was still very new and unknown. He had to work with photocopies of the manuscript scores, which Universal Edition made available only at Stravinsky's express request. The latter even threatened Columbia to stop recording his own works if the Webern LPs weren't relessed. In a footnote, though, Craft then proceeds to blow his own horn by quoting David Schiff of the NYT: "Mr. Craft attained worldwide fame in the mid-1950s with his set of the complete works of Schoenberg's disciple, Anton Webern, an album that soon became as essential to an intellectual's library as a copy of James Joyce's Ulysses".   :D

THREAD DUTY:

Following the Webern with Craft's recording of several Gesualdo madrigals (the pairing of both composers, along with Stravinsky, was typical of Craft's concerts in the 1950s —and it makes a lot of sense IMHO).

Thanks for mentioning An Improbable Life again, Rafael. I appear to have found a copy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ritter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 19, 2022, 01:15:50 PM
Thanks for mentioning An Improbable Life again, Rafael. I appear to have found a copy!
Good evening, Karl!

Karl Henning

TD:

Schubert
Quartet in C, D.46
Wiener Konzerthausquartett
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 10:32:32 AM
I wouldn't hold your breath for Hahn or Ehnes to record the work. But there are many other fine performances of the work, like this one for example:

But in terms of performance and audio fidelity, the Mordkovitch/Downes is still my go-to recording for this work. The passion from all involved is noticeably evident from the first couple of measures.

That Cappelletti disc is excellent - it was my introduction to the Concerto Gregoriano.  There's another excellent disc of Respighi Concertante works that is also a little-known gem;

Turban is another fine player.....

Karl Henning

Schubert
Quartet in Bb, D.68
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kyjo

Cras: Piano Quintet and String Quartet À ma Bretagne

Absolutely some of the most lovely and colorful chamber music ever written by a Frenchman! The Piano Quintet a life-affirming masterwork which evokes the wash and spray of the sea in the glimmering sunlight, as well as featuring some distinctly "Arabian" sounding melodies (reflecting Cras' career as a naval officer in foreign countries). The String Quartet starts off in darker-hued, passionate Franckian waters but eventually develops into a vitally folksy paean to his homeland. Exemplary performances and sound.

Dvořák: Symphony no. 5

Kubelik and BPO give a passionate account of this generally pastoral symphony which suddenly turns to Sturm und Drang drama in the remarkable minor-key last movement.

Langgaard: Music of the Spheres and Symphony no. 14 The Morning

Two very different sides of the quirky Dane - the tremendously visionary and imaginative Music of the Spheres and the conservative yet endearing 14th Symphony with its gorgeous slow movement (Unnoticed Morning Stars - what a great title!). Is it more a suite than a symphony? Yes. Does the movement 'Dads' rush to the office sound particularly hectic? No. But it's very enjoyable all the same!

Saygun: Symphonies 1 and 2

Saygun's music is rarely easy listening - but it repays your close attention. These symphonies are frequently dark, tense, and complex in texture, but that doesn't preclude some haunting atmosphere and more lighthearted folksy gestures from time to time. His 4th Symphony remains my favorite, but these are still excellent.

Beethoven: String Quartet no. 15, op. 132

A superb performance of a masterpiece.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 19, 2022, 10:48:04 AM

A well-polished performance  ;D

It certainly is. I am enjoying the music of Arnold thus far.

aligreto

Quote from: Linz on January 19, 2022, 12:46:05 PM
Now for one of my Favorite 3rds with Remy Ballot with the Almonte Orchestra St. Florien it is a slow and majestic reading

That sounds very appropriate for this wonderful symphony.

ritter

And now, to round off this Robert Craft evening in the appropriate way, his 1956 Paris recordings of Stravinsky's Choral Variations  'Vom Himmel hoch" and Canticum Sacrum (with the Domaine Musical Orchestra, the Chorale Élisabeth Brasseur, and tenor Jean Giraudeau and baritone Xavier Depraz in the Canticum — and Pierre Boulez in the control room  ;)).

Karl Henning

Not much of a surprise, surely:

Schubert
Quartet in D, D.74
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on January 19, 2022, 09:40:35 AM
If played in chronological order, yes. If arranged in a well-thought order, no. Lipatti immediately comes to mind: he almost turned them into a piano suite.

And we're back to the art of programming again.

I don't always want people to do it. I mean, if someone supplies me a group of opuses in number order so be it. In the days of digital music I just won't listen to it all at once. But I do like it when people show they've put some thought into the music listening experience.

Don't get me started on pop albums...

Currently listening to: Chopin Ashkenazy volume five LP again. With fewer distractions.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 19, 2022, 01:02:44 PM

Quite interesting, Rafael. Thanks! You're a fountain of information. 8)

NP:

Saint-Saëns
String Quartet No. 1 in E minor, Op. 112
Sarastro Quartett

Utterly sublime. Hat-tip to Cesar for pointing this recording out to me. It was incredibly difficult to find a physical copy of it, but thank goodness for the byways of eBay.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 10:08:02 PM
I love several Czech composers, but Foerster is one of the most boring I've heard. I remember listening to his violin concerti and I actually fell asleep. Forgettable music.

By Foerster I like his 4th Symphony, Cyrano de Bergerac Suite, string quartets and piano trios. I haven't heard any other work by him that really stands out.

He was more succesful at writing for chamber forces, methinks.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 19, 2022, 02:38:56 PM
By Foerster I like his 4th Symphony, Cyrano de Bergerac Suite, string quartets and piano trios. I haven't heard any other work by him that really stands out.

He was more succesful at writing for chamber forces, methinks.

I guess my initial problem with Foerster (and remember it's solely my problem) is that I just don't hear any unique or individual musical ideas that I find either alluring or striking in any way. Thankfully, there are so many other composers that I do want to hear more music from.