What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 19, 2022, 05:28:25 AM
There's a quite good recent recording on MD&G (a better performance than the one on Naxos and better recorded than the Supraphon):

It's a fine work, if missing that final "spark" of inspiration that would make it more compelling.

That recording is sonically better, but the performance on the Supraphon disc is superior to my ears.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 19, 2022, 01:32:50 PM
Cras: Piano Quintet and String Quartet À ma Bretagne

Absolutely some of the most lovely and colorful chamber music ever written by a Frenchman! The Piano Quintet a life-affirming masterwork which evokes the wash and spray of the sea in the glimmering sunlight, as well as featuring some distinctly "Arabian" sounding melodies (reflecting Cras' career as a naval officer in foreign countries). The String Quartet starts off in darker-hued, passionate Franckian waters but eventually develops into a vitally folksy paean to his homeland. Exemplary performances and sound.

Dvořák: Symphony no. 5

Kubelik and BPO give a passionate account of this generally pastoral symphony which suddenly turns to Sturm und Drang drama in the remarkable minor-key last movement.

Langgaard: Music of the Spheres and Symphony no. 14 The Morning

Two very different sides of the quirky Dane - the tremendously visionary and imaginative Music of the Spheres and the conservative yet endearing 14th Symphony with its gorgeous slow movement (Unnoticed Morning Stars - what a great title!). Is it more a suite than a symphony? Yes. Does the movement 'Dads' rush to the office sound particularly hectic? No. But it's very enjoyable all the same!

Saygun: Symphonies 1 and 2

Saygun's music is rarely easy listening - but it repays your close attention. These symphonies are frequently dark, tense, and complex in texture, but that doesn't preclude some haunting atmosphere and more lighthearted folksy gestures from time to time. His 4th Symphony remains my favorite, but these are still excellent.

Beethoven: String Quartet no. 15, op. 132

A superb performance of a masterpiece.

Pounds the table!  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 19, 2022, 01:25:21 PM
That Cappelletti disc is excellent - it was my introduction to the Concerto Gregoriano.  There's another excellent disc of Respighi Concertante works that is also a little-known gem;

Turban is another fine player.....

Thanks for the recommendations - it appears both the Cappelletti and Turban aren't on Spotify, and on CD they're long out of print. The Mordkovitch/Downes on Chandos is the most easily available commercial recording, but I see versions by Henry Raudales (on the Bavarian Radio house label), Vadim Brodsky (on Brilliant Classics), and Pierre Amoyal (on Decca, with Charles Dutoit), among others - but I don't know their quality. I'll definitely keep my eye out for Cappelletti and Turban, though.

Thread duty - let the Ives-a-thon begin!

Charles Ives (all on Spotify)

The Unanswered Question
Central Park in the Dark
Three Places in New England
St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
Leonard Slatkin

Central Park in the Dark*
Three Places in New England
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Seiji Ozawa*, Michael Tilson Thomas

The Unanswered Question
Central Park in the Dark
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Michael Tilson Thomas

Sampled several short orchestral works by Ives in several different recordings, and although he's a "tough nut to crack", so to speak, I found a lot I liked. That eclecticism, that "musical patchwork" mode of composition is evident in all three works, but most especially in Three Places in New England. Ives has a highly distinctive voice, and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

foxandpeng

Pehr Henrik Nordgren
Symphony 3
Sakari Oramo
Finnish RSO
Ondine

Second outing for Nordgren today, as a foil to the excellent Bruckner exploration. The Nordgren symphonies scratch a completely different itch, and are atmospheric, Nordic, and minimally scored in comparison. I love the chaos of Defiance after the order and structure of most of today's listening.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 02:14:30 PM
Quite interesting, Rafael. Thanks! You're a fountain of information. 8)

NP:

Saint-Saëns
String Quartet No. 1 in E minor, Op. 112
Sarastro Quartett

Utterly sublime. Hat-tip to Cesar for pointing this recording out to me. It was incredibly difficult to find a physical copy of it, but thank goodness for the byways of eBay.

Good to know, John! Those performances are more convincing than any others in these quartets.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 19, 2022, 03:07:11 PM
Pehr Henrik Nordgren
Symphony 3
Sakari Oramo
Finnish RSO
Ondine

Second outing for Nordgren today, as a foil to the excellent Bruckner exploration. The Nordgren symphonies scratch a completely different itch, and are atmospheric, Nordic, and minimally scored in comparison. I love the chaos of Defiance after the order and structure of most of today's listening.

Some symphonies by this composer remind me of Schnittke. There is a sort of "schizophrenic" aura to those pieces.

Noam Chomsky

Cato

Quote from: Linz on January 19, 2022, 10:25:41 AM
I will add Kubelik 3rd to the list

Anything conducted by Rafael Kubelik is always on the list!   8)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 19, 2022, 09:57:55 AM

I'm in:

State Symphony Cappella of Russia
Rozhdestvensky

Hi Karl!

What did you think of the performance?  I have read complaints about the brass being "rough."
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Daverz

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 19, 2022, 02:38:56 PM
By Foerster I like his 4th Symphony, Cyrano de Bergerac Suite, string quartets and piano trios. I haven't heard any other work by him that really stands out.

He was more succesful at writing for chamber forces, methinks.

His Wind Quintet for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and horn might be of more interest.

Madiel

Dvorak Symphony No.1 again. Suitner again.

I think I'm trying to convince myself the piece is worth having in my collection. The answer is mostly yes. Mostly.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Karlowicz: Lithuanian Rhapsody

Too bland thematically and as a whole, I'm afraid. The performance didn't help either. I mean, this was really frustrating. This is not the Karlowicz I enjoy.  :-\

Bartók: Suite No. 2 for orchestra

Much better! A great performance too. I'm not familiar with this particular early work by this master, and sounds gorgeous. Very recommended.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Daverz on January 19, 2022, 03:36:50 PM
His Wind Quintet for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and horn might be of more interest.

I recall enjoying it quite a bit!

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Charles Ives
Symphony no. 1
Michael Tilson Thomas

This was written before Ives developed his unmistakable personal style, and while it has its moments, it's not the most memorable or distinctive work. It's a perfectly fine first symphony, though, and the ending is suitably raucous and bombastic.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 19, 2022, 04:29:42 PM
Charles Ives
Symphony no. 1
Michael Tilson Thomas

This was written before Ives developed his unmistakable personal style, and while it has its moments, it's not the most memorable or distinctive work. It's a perfectly fine first symphony, though, and the ending is suitably raucous and bombastic.

The 1st was written in dedication to his teacher, Horatio Parker and I believe this symphony does bear his influence. Thankfully, Ives quickly forged his own individualistic path and didn't follow the generation of American composers before him.

NP:

Roussel
Aeneas, Op. 51
EuropaChorAkademie
Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg
Bramwell Tovey

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 19, 2022, 04:15:29 PMBartók: Suite No. 2 for orchestra

Much better! A great performance too. I'm not familiar with this particular early work by this master, and sounds gorgeous. Very recommended.

I do hope that Dausgaard continues his Bartók series as both volumes so far have been excellent.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 04:38:48 PM
I do hope that Dausgaard continues his Bartók series as both volumes so far have been excellent.

I too plan to follow this exciting series.

Now:

Bloch: Evocations, for orchestra

For those who love Exotic-Chinese Bloch, it's quite a lovable piece. The very exciting Houang Ti movement contains all the energy, nonetheless. Good work.

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Ives: selected songs (Jan DeGaetani / Gilbert Kalish) - A classic. Since this album appeared in 1976, many other singers have done some of the composer's 100+ songs, but DeGaetani has a unique simplicity and naturalness, helped by Kalish in crystalline form at the piano.

--Bruce

Mirror Image

NP:

Mahler
Symphony No. 7
CSO
Abbado

One of Abbado's best Mahler recordings along with his Chicago SO 5th and Wiener Philharmoniker 3rd. I don't care much for the remakes he did with the Berliners truth be told. For me, the younger Abbado is, the better I like the performance. He's kind of like Gergiev in that regard.

André

Burleske only.

The Strauss sonata

listener

NIELSEN:  String Quartets 1 & 2
Oslo String Quartet
SCHUMANN;  Liederkreis op, 39    4 Songs op. 40,   4 more songs
Hakan Hagegard, baritone  Thomas Schuback, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk