What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgravefenbirder and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Enescu, George (1881-1955) - Octuor, Op. 7; Dixtuor, Op. 14, Quintet, Op. 29, et al w/ the performers on the 3 recordings below; now there are several duplications, but all excellent recordings (several reviews attached for those interested) - just continuing my Enescu listening into the late afternoon, but only half way through my collection, so likely more of George tomorrow?  Dave :)

Que

Incidental music: King Christian II, Pelléas et Melisande, The Tempest.
Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Neeme Järvi.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2022, 06:34:15 AM
Pounds the table! I've certainly been digging all of the Sibelius you've been listening to recently, Que. And this Essential Sibelius set, for me, is the best introduction to the composer as it has such an assortment of pieces throughout his oeuvre. Also, this BIS set actually gives you the full works, too, not just excerpts.

I'm not an everyday Sibelian nor someone who usually gathers multiple recordings of the same pieces. I pick out what I really like and am happy with that most of the times. The main initial draw here were the symphonies with Vänskä, which I really like. But the set really delivered on the title and has an abundance of truly essential Sibelius in sterling performances.

And like you say:  not just some snippets here and there but complete performances with notes and texts. I believe I paid €60 for it, which is a steal.

Linz

Anton Bruckner Michael Haydn Motets

Todd

From the bog box, with Carnaval tacked on.  This is the Cziffra I dislike.  Yes, he plays with exemplary control, but he oftens sounds garish and virtuosic just because.  Making matters much worse is the sloppy production.  Rarely have I encountered recordings where individual pieces are very clearly from different sessions, possibly studios, and almost certainly pianos.  Blech.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

foxandpeng

Quote from: aligreto on January 22, 2022, 06:13:48 AM
Bruckner: Symphony No. 4, Nowak edition [Chailly]

This symphony, for me, is where Bruckner's symphonic voice blossomed. The work, overall, is self assured and assertive in presenting its own voice. This is very apparent in the opening movement. The music is very mature, well scored and, importantly, it sounds wonderfully assured. Chailly does it great justice by allowing everything to breathe and to be heard. The strings are wonderfully rich and full, the woodwinds are well balanced and the brass section delivers the appropriately requisite power when called for. The slow movement is rich and full sounding in its orchestration. The music is lyrical, expressive and assured and both the harmonies and the counterpoint accompaniments weave a rich tapestry. I particularly like this Scherzo. It is both powerful and assertive in its musical message and, once again, it affirms Bruckner's musical maturity for me. I really like the music of the final movement. It is, by and large, understated but its quality is not in question and it has an inexorable forward momentum to it building up to a satisfactory resolution. This is all very well delivered by Chailly.

Tintner is still my touchstone for #4, but this is not far behind. Thanks for such a helpful summary.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

2 suites for solo organ and a solo cello sonata.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

An old favorite.

No. 38.  Very fine Wonderful new Mozart recording from Manze.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 22, 2022, 10:14:02 AM
Might they be available on the Chandos website?— https://www.chandos.net/
Thanks Karl. I might give them a call as I recall them being helpful when a second-hand CD set of Rozhdestvensky's Nielsen symphonies arrived without notes.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on January 22, 2022, 12:41:59 PM
Bohuslav Martinů: Symphonies No. 3 and No. 4. Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Vladimír Válek.

From this set:

I have that set and recall thinking very highly of it.

André

Karlsen's 3rd string quartet is a gem. This disc also contains his sonatas for violin, viola and cello (all with piano) as well as his 1st string quartet. All contain striking passages. Karlsen's music is sometimes cerebral, but he keeps the interest fully engaged.

Daverz

Quote from: ritter on January 22, 2022, 12:41:59 PM
Bohuslav Martinů: Symphonies No. 3 and No. 4. Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Vladimír Válek.

From this set:

That set kind of got lost in the shuffle with all the other Martinu Symphony sets and singles I have.  I'll have to sample it again.

Symphonic Addict

Carefree, frolicsome and sparkling music at its best!!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

Second disc.  As good as the first.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Daverz on January 22, 2022, 05:45:04 PM
That set kind of got lost in the shuffle with all the other Martinu Symphony sets and singles I have.  I'll have to sample it again.

It's near the top of my list, with Neumann. I like the way he finds the lyricism in the music.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

NP:

Koechlin
La Loi de la jungle, poème symphonique op. 175
Les Bandar-Log, poème symphonique op. 176
Berceuse phoque, pour mezzo-soprano et chœur
Chanson de la nuit dans la jungle, pour mezzo-soprano, baryton et chœur
Chant de Kala Nag, pour ténor et chœur

Vincent Le Texier, Iris Vermillion, Jacque Trussel
Chœur de L'Opéra de Montpellier L.-R.
Orchestre Philharmonique de Montpellier L.-R.
Bedford

La Livre de la jungle is one of my favorite pieces of music of all-time. This Bedford performance, despite it being recorded live with some applause at the end of some tracks, is much better than Zinman's, IMHO. Zinman's is notable for having much more polish than Bedford's, but the spirit of Koechlin I believe is more prevalent in this Bedford performance.

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on January 22, 2022, 02:58:32 PM

From the bog box, with Carnaval tacked on.  This is the Cziffra I dislike.  Yes, he plays with exemplary control, but he oftens sounds garish and virtuosic just because.  Making matters much worse is the sloppy production.  Rarely have I encountered recordings where individual pieces are very clearly from different sessions, possibly studios, and almost certainly pianos.  Blech.

It may be that, but it's also magnificent. He has an idea worked out for the etudes. Often fiercely energetic, occasionally propelled by the trademark FFFFFFs. Lisztian maybe - no surprises there.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

From the Erato Complete Recordings box

A bit garish (to borrow Todd's adjective) and more percussive (well, bangy might be more precise) than usual approach to the music of le Maitre Claude.

Contents
L'isle joyeuse
Preludes Book 1 Numbers 8,10,11,12 (La fille aux cheveux de lin, La catherdrale engloutie, La danse de Puck, Minstrels
La plus que lente
Pour le piano
Etude no. 11
Suite Bergamasque III/IV (Claire de lune, Passepied)

Recorded Paris July 1961.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Linz on January 22, 2022, 12:17:54 PM
Bruckner Symphony 8 Sir Simon Rattle and the Australian World Orchestra

What the heck is the Australian World Orchestra? Never heard of it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!