What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Madiel

Another Schumann piano works volume 1, just with a different pianist...

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2022, 09:41:37 AM
+1 for Holst CD, which has given me much pleasure. I purchased it at the Holst Birthplace Museum in Cheltenham many years ago.

I was in two minds, Jeffrey. I initially purchased for the convenience of having all my favourite Holst pieces in one place opposed to having them spread over four or five LPs. The excellence of the performances and recording quite took me by surprise.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

On Spotify:

PS Jommelli slapped this requiem together in les than a week for the funeral of the mother of his employer, duke Karl Eugen von Württemberg. And you can tell: it's rather formulaic and lacks strikingly original ideas. Still, stylistically it bridges Neapolitan with Austro-German stiles and it remained quite popular and influenced later composers.
Because of this it is interesting to have heard it, but rather forgettable as such. Here it receives a stellar performance that is more than worthy of the music.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 23, 2022, 12:42:46 AM
I was in two minds, Jeffrey. I initially purchased for the convenience of having all my favourite Holst pieces in one place opposed to having them spread over four or five LPs. The excellence of the performances and recording quite took me by surprise.
I agree Lol - it's a fine CD and good to have one's favourites on one CD.

Now playing:
Janis Ivanovs: Symphony 15 'Symphonia Ipsa' (1972)
A characteristically bleak and searching score, which I'm enjoying hearing for the first time this morning:

Just noticed that this thread is on its 3000th page  :o
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Enescu: Symphony No.1 - a very enjoyable discovery for me (thanks to John MI).
If Enescu only wrote three symphonies why is there a CPO recording featuring Symphony No.5?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 23, 2022, 01:51:20 AM
You're most welcome!

And in the meanwhile...

David Matthews' Concerto in Azzurro 
    Rumon Gamba, BBC Philharmonic Orchestra, Guy Johnston (cello)
What's that CD like? I like his 6th Symphony very much. Love the cover art (Cecil Collins?)

Maestro267

Symphonies 4 and 5 were left incomplete at Enescu's death then completed in the 1990s by a guy called Pascal Bentoiu, and recorded/released by CPO.

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2022, 02:31:38 AM
Enescu: Symphony No.1 - a very enjoyable discovery for me (thanks to John MI).
If Enescu only wrote three symphonies why is there a CPO recording featuring Symphony No.5?

Enesco only left sketches for Symphonies No. 4 and No. 5. Pascal Bentiou prepared performing editions of both works, and that's what's been recorded. There's also fkur early Study Symphonies, some of which have been recorded.

EDIT:
Oops...I see Maestro beat me to it. Good day!  :)

aligreto

JS Bach: Sonatas for Violin and Basso Continuo BWV 1021/1023/1024/Anh.153 [Musica Antiqua Koln]

This is wonderful music that is interpreted and played with integrity, warmth and obvious pleasure on the part of the musicians. Both the music and music making are most engaging and a joy to listen to.

Florestan

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 23, 2022, 02:35:37 AM
Symphonies 4 and 5 were left incomplete at Enescu's death then completed in the 1990s by a guy called Pascal Bentoiu, and recorded/released by CPO.

Who was a composer in his own right and not a bad one. (He was also imprisoned for a few years on political grounds immediately after the Communist takeover, the "reason" being that his father was a prominent member of the National Liberal Party and former minister of Health.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_Bentoiu
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Lovely thing before the caesura, and normally I don't enjoy Willaert's church music much.

https://www.youtube.com/v/RZTS_WXoEvU&ab_channel=SingerPur-Topic
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Also a blast from the past, one that I bought in 1999, but apparently never listen to, somewhat puzzling to me, for I am not in the habit of not playing discs I buy. But after listening to it, I know why, this one will be culled.

Isaac Albeniz.
Piano Music, CD I.

Iberia, Book 1-3.

Guillermo Gonzales, Piano.
Recorded in 1997.

This double CD comes hard on the heels on  a set by Ricardo Requejo on the label Claves I played some days ago. As much as I want to say equally good things about this recording it makes not much of a impression. There are of course fine moments, like in the first book the second and third movement, but his urgency and heavy handedness is tiring, and his emphasis on the brilliancy elements is a pain on my ears. The music is simply not elevated to a higher level. His unsubtle pedalling is to be blamed too, altogether to strenuous, so I prefer Requejo's take, for he allows depth and poetry into the music, which brings out the charm so much needed. The sound by Naxos is harsh and unforgiving. Altogether this is not a fine travail through Albeniz's music.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

LKB

For the last hour or so, I've been enjoying the Kerstmatinee from Amsterdam of 1979, Haitink conducting his RCO in Berlioz' Sinfonie Fantastique . Very enjoyable, they're quite willing to kick out the jams when needed.

https://youtu.be/baT8tHc-JYQ
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Harry

This CD comes from far too. In 2007 I bought almost the entire CPO catalogue, with some notable exceptions of course. I got a really good deal on them, being involved in this company myself and able to negotiate. There will be disc that will be culled, for not all what I bought will stand the criteria I have these days. The following disc is excellent however as I expect from the likes of Michael Schneider.

Carl Friedrich Abel.
Symphonies opus 10, No. 1-6.

La Stagione Frankfurt.
Recorded in 1993.

Fine performances in good sound, and shows Abel at his best.

FonoForum 6/94: "Once again CPO creates a small sensation and sets the picture of music history straight. Abel fully deserves this attention. How the musicians bring the spirit of these enchanting symphonies to life is fascinating! The tempi are chosen to be taut and gripping, the slow movements are sensitively sounded out, their tonal beauties are emphasized with relish."
Scala 2. 98: "An insider's tip. Some of the joyful works are reminiscent of early Mozart, although Abel clearly prefers the simple harmonies. Music on the threshold from baroque to classical."

Traverso

Schubert

String Quartet No.14  "Der Tod und das Mädchen"
String Quartet No.13  "Rosamunde"

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 23, 2022, 02:35:37 AM
Many thanks, to you and others for this info.

Harry

Knights & Chevaliers.
Cantigas of Alfonso X el Sabio.
Eduard Paniagua.

Honor, Love, Vengeance And Conversion

Imprisoned Knight   
The Knight's Vengeance   
The Tournament
Knights From Another World   
The Silver Platter   

Falconry, Procuresses And The Protection Of Our Lady.

Pact With The Devil   
The Lost Hawk   
The Troubadour Knight   
The Armenteira Laborer   
The Cordobán Shoes   

Grupo de Música Antigua
Performers – Enrique Almendros, Felipe Sánchez, Jaime Muñoz, Luis Delgado, Marta Arias, Rafael Martín*, Wafir Sheik
Directed By – Eduardo Paniagua
Vocals – Germán Torrellas*, Patricia Paz, Paula Vega
Vocals, Performer – Cesar Carazo, Luis Vincent.

This is a superb recording and fine performances, Bought this CD in 1999, and was surprised how good it actually is.

Traverso

Jacob van Eyck

From "Der fluyten Lust-hof"

Todd

The first of two discs of Scarlatti sonatas.  Excellent, but as always, I prefer the modern grand.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya