What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Die Zauberflöte, K 620. Karl Böhm, Berliner Philharmoniker, RIAS-Kammerchor, soloists

This recording is just stellar. Wünderlich as Tamino makes it, but all the singing is excellent, so is the playing. The music is so incredible. I know this is a silly opera, but the music is quite profound.

Mirror Image

First-Listen Sunday

Chausson
Poème de l'amour et de la mer, Op. 19
Véronique Gens, soprano
Orchestre National de Lille
Alexandre Bloch

For this listen, Véronique Gens has one of the most beautiful voices in all of music. I'm always impressed with her performances and the intelligence and passion she brings to whatever it is she choses to sing. This particular work from Chausson is flat-out gorgeous. I might have heard it before, but it's been so long that it might as well be called a first-listen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 23, 2022, 01:15:17 PM
That disc I listened to was very good, I must say! Let's see what the other three have to offer.
Occasionally ;). I'm rather liking the Concord Sonata this time around!  :)

Good evening to you as well, John!

Wonderful, Rafael. :)

Que

Harry

Quote from: Que on January 23, 2022, 11:26:03 PM

Good morning Que.
Good choice for the early morning, I treasure these recordings.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 23, 2022, 04:49:50 PM
Sæverud: Symphony No. 3 in B-flat minor

Interesting. I assume a relation of the composer as soloist for VC. Did you enjoy the CD?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 23, 2022, 09:27:56 AM
Havergal Brian's Symphony No. 21 
    Alexander Walker, New Russia State Symphony Orchestra

I have a bit of trouble with Havergal Brian. None of it is in the least offensive or difficult to listen to, but also little of it seems particularly memorable or, indeed, capable of conveying much meaning. It's interesting that a Russian orchestra has taken to it on this CD, though: and they perform it sparklingly enough, it's true. Any tips on how better to get 'in' to Brian gratefully received!
The 8th is one of my very favourites. So, maybe try that one if you don't already know it. I find it to be a searching, memorable and powerful work with a gripping atmosphere. Charles Groves's performance was my way into Havergal Brian. I rarely listen to No.21. I'd recommend nos 1 'Gothic', 3, 6,7,8, 10 and 16 for starters.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: Irons on January 24, 2022, 12:01:27 AM
Interesting. I assume a relation of the composer as soloist for VC. Did you enjoy the CD?
Trond Sæverud is a son of the composer Ketil Hvoslef, who again is a son of Harald Sæverud.

aligreto

JS Bach: Sonatas for Viola da Gamba and Harpsichord Nos. 1-3 BWV 1027-1029 [Musica Antiqua Koln]

Although the viola da gamba is obviously not as bright, tonally, as a violin, these works are no less engaging and compelling. What they may lack in sparkle they certainly make up for in texture and atmosphere. There is, however, plenty of sparkle in the inherent forward momentum of the music and in the harpsichord line for those who seek it.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: aligreto on January 24, 2022, 01:47:53 AM
JS Bach: Sonatas for Viola da Gamba and Harpsichord Nos. 1-3 BWV 1027-1029 [Musica Antiqua Koln]

Although the viola da gamba is obviously not as bright, tonally, as a violin, these works are no less engaging and compelling. What they may lack in sparkle they certainly make up for in texture and atmosphere. There is, however, plenty of sparkle in the inherent forward momentum of the music and in the harpsichord line for those who seek it.

You don't have to apologize for the Viola da Gamba in these works. I would give 1,000 Bach violin sonatas for one sonata for Viola da Gamba!
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vers la flamme

Gavriil Popov: Symphony No.1, op.7. Alexander Titov, St. Petersburg State Academic SO

First listen to this recording, though I've heard this symphony over half a dozen times in the past month in another performance. Sounding great. Possibly clearer sound than the (great) Olympia recording, but still a bit on the rougher end.

Madiel

Medtner, Three Dithyrambs op.10

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Bloch: 'Voice in the Wilderness' (Nelsova/Ansermet). New arrival:

NP
Walther Geiser: Symphony (1953)
Never heard of this composer. The inspiriting, neo-classical Symphony is very enjoyable, not unlike Honegger and David Diamond in places.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Gregorio Allegri

Miserere/messe/Motets.
A sei Voci.
Auvidis 1994

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 24, 2022, 01:57:39 AM

You don't have to apologize for the Viola da Gamba in these works. I would give 1,000 Bach violin sonatas for one sonata for Viola da Gamba!

Yes, it is terrific music indeed.

Spotted Horses

Brahms Symphony No 3, Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra

I found the first two movements of this performance remarkably good. The first movement at a relaxed pace, with details of orchestration, harmony, voice leading very clear. The second movement was similarly satisfying, with the climactic passage near the end developing beautifully. The third movement (one of my favorite movements of Brahms) was a little wan, I thought. The finale, though played at a brisk tempo, struck me as being deficient in the feeling of "momentum." (It is hard to characterize exactly what about the performance created this impression.) And the dramatic loud passages lacked the force I felt was needed. So I'd sum up as a satisfying listening experience, overall, but not destined to become a favorite that I return to often.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Circled around to this for a second listen, The Sandman, Roussel, performed by Jean-Pierre Armengaud.

On first listen it struck me as too nebulous and meandering, but upon a second listen it made a stronger impression. Well performed and recorded.

And I just noticed I have a recording of a version of this work for orchestra (Naxos).

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on January 24, 2022, 04:36:34 AM
Gregorio Allegri

Miserere/messe/Motets.
A sei Voci.
Auvidis 1994

A Classic!  :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot