Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Mirror Image

NP:

Hindemith
Die Serenaden, Op. 35 - Little Cantata after Romantic Texts
Christiane Oelze, soprano
Ensemble Villa Musica

Such a lovely work. In fact, this whole recording is top-drawer Hindemith, IMHO.

ritter

Spurred  by Florestan's favourite arias poll, listening to this wonderful miniature: Friedrich Gulda's transcription of "Giunse al fin il momento...Deh vieni, non tardar", Susanna's recitativo and aria from Act IV of Le Nozze du Figaro. From this live recording:

It's on YouTube, for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jti0u9_UdDA

A jewel!  :)

EDIT: Inevitably, following the above with the original aria from The Marriage of Figaro, plus "Batti, batti, o bel Masetto" from Don Giovanni, sung by the incomparable Bidú Sayão, from this extraordinary compilation:

SonicMan46

Two new acquisitions today from PrestoMusic:

Weber, Carl Maria von (1786-1826) - Clarinet Concertos w/ Eric Hoeprich and Guy Van Waas/Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century (also a short work by Karol Kurpińiski, 1785-1857) - Hoeprich plays a 10-key clarinet made by him after an original by Griessling & Schlott, Berlin.

Mozart, WA (1756-1791) - Wind Concertos w/ Eric Hoeprich on clarinet, Frank de Bruine on oboe, and Teunis van der Zwart on natural horn; Frans Bruggen & Kenneth Montgomery conducting the Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century - Dave :)

Mirror Image

NP: Various lieder from the Webern Complete DG set -

Linz

The Tchaikovsky Violin Cocerto coupled with Mandelssohn as well with Nathan Milstein on voilin with Abbado conducting The Wiener Philharmoniker

Mandryka

My desert island Mozart recording -- never fails me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on January 24, 2022, 01:28:52 PM

My desert island Mozart recording -- never fails me.

Mandryka - assume that's vinyl from decades ago - Zimerman looks like a high schooler; reminds me of Ali McGraw and Ryan O'Neil from 'Love Story' -  :laugh:  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2022, 12:35:44 PM
NP:

Hindemith
Die Serenaden, Op. 35 - Little Cantata after Romantic Texts
Christiane Oelze, soprano
Ensemble Villa Musica

Such a lovely work. In fact, this whole recording is top-drawer Hindemith, IMHO.

I'm in. A mighty fine disc, indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

classicalgeek

More Ives!

Symphony: New England Holidays
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Michael Tilson Thomas

Symphony no. 4
Seattle Symphony Orchestra and Chorale
Ludovic Morlot

(both on Spotify)

These are vintage Ives, in that inimitable "patchwork" style: a church hymn here, an American patriotic tune there; different popular dance rhythms come and go, overlaid on these intricate patterns of rhythm and pitch. Quarter-tone pianos, Jews' harps, brass bands, choirs... it's all wonderfully chaotic and exactingly precise at the same time. There's nothing else in music quite like it.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

NP:

Saint-Saëns
Symphony in F, "Urbs Roma"
Orchestre National de France
Cristian Mǎcelaru

Beautiful performance. This is my first foray into this new Saint-Saëns symphony cycle and I'm rather enjoying it so far.

listener

vol. 7 in Naxos' REGER Organ Works series
Symphonic Fantasia and Fugue  op. 57    Seven Organ Pieces op.145
Edgar Krapp,   Eisenbarth organ (1981) at Passau Cathedral
a big machine with lots of contrasts particularly in volume
SCHARWENKA Piano Sonata 1,  Five Polish Dances, a couple of Polonaises and other shott pieces
Seta Tanyel, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 23, 2022, 07:27:41 PM
First-Listen Sunday

Chausson
Poème de l'amour et de la mer, Op. 19
Véronique Gens, soprano
Orchestre National de Lille
Alexandre Bloch

For this listen, Véronique Gens has one of the most beautiful voices in all of music. I'm always impressed with her performances and the intelligence and passion she brings to whatever it is she choses to sing. This particular work from Chausson is flat-out gorgeous. I might have heard it before, but it's been so long that it might as well be called a first-listen.

I wholly concur with you here, John. Whatever Gens sings turns into an assured success. I love her velvety and sool-soothing voice. Canteloube's Chants d'Auvergne as singed by her gets me everytime. Perfect music for her perfect (or very close) fantastic voice.

Chausson too ranks high in my French affections. The Wagner connection seems clear in many of his works, albeit Chausson is his own man, of course.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP:

Wagner
Das Rheingold
Simone Mangelsdorff (soprano), Erwin Wohlfahrt (tenor), Oralia Dominguez (mezzo-soprano), Helen Donath (soprano), Josephine Veasey (mezzo-soprano), Zoltan Kelemen (bass), Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone), Martti Talvela (bass), Karl Ridderbusch (bass), Anna Reynolds (mezzo-soprano), Edda Moser (soprano), Gerhard Stolze (tenor), Donald Grobe (tenor), Robert Kerns (baritone)
Berliner Philharmoniker
Herbert von Karajan

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Irons on January 24, 2022, 12:01:27 AM
Interesting. I assume a relation of the composer as soloist for VC. Did you enjoy the CD?

Actually no, I didn't, or not so much. Only the 1st movement was played. I wasn't in the mood for it yesterday. However, I have fond memories of other of his symphonies and string quartets.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 24, 2022, 01:35:49 AM
Erich Korngold's Symphonic Serenade 
    Werner Andreas Albert, Nordwestdeutsche Philharmnonie

What a lovely piece! I don't know if it's just because I'm biased, but I keep hearing echoes of Benjamin Britten in it (the opening of the Intermezzo has Playful Pizzicato woven all through it, for example!).

Yes, you're very biased.  ;D

Noam Chomsky