What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA - Piano Music, CDs 1 & 2 w/ Kristian Bezuidenhout of fortepianos (FP) - just getting started w/ this new box from PrestoMusic; outstanding large booklet (158 pgs) in multiple languages; disc 1 on a FP by Derek Adlam, Welbeck, 1987 after Anton Walter, Vienna, ca. 1795; disc 2 on a FP by Paul McNulty, Divisov (Czech Republic), 2008 after Anton Walter & Sohn, Vienna, ca. 1802.  Dave :)

André

Japanese music lovers seem to have an insatiable appetite for Bruckner. Major german/austrian orchestras and conductors have achieved triumphs by playing Bruckner there. That might explain why their orchestras sound totally at home playing his music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 25, 2022, 09:34:44 AM
+1. I didn't think much of the Hickox symphonies either, I'm afraid. Mind you, I'm one that came to the conclusion that Haitink was über-dullsville in them, too, long before a certain Hurwitz proclaimed it loud and annoyingly! And I know plenty of people that find the Haitink recordings sublime... so, what do I know?!

Personally, I stick with Previn and Boult for when I want reliability. I will occasionally dip into a bit of Manze, Davis or Barbirolli if I'm feeling in need of a bit of 'lucky dip'.

I don't like Haitink's RVW either. Insipid, go nowhere performances that leave you questioning why he even recorded the music to begin with. I'm certainly with you on Boult and Previn. I also like Thomson. I wish Barbirolli had done a complete stereo cycle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 25, 2022, 09:46:26 AM
Bohuslav Martinů's Piano Concerto No. 4 
    Jakub Hrůša, Bamberger Symphoniker, Ivo Kahánek (piano)

Pounds the table! Outstanding performance.

Linz

Wand and the NDR with Bruckner Symphony no. 9 in D Minor

Mirror Image

NP:

Martin
Drey Minnelieder
Barbara Vigfusson (soprano), Miriam Terragni (flute), Harald Stampa (guitar)

Oh, man. This is just so gorgeous.

Karl Henning

Again:

CD 2

Prokofiev
Symphony № 3 in c minor Op. 44
Symphony № 5 in Bb Op. 100
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

Bruckner 3 with Rozhdestvensky conducting the Moscow Radio and Television Symphony Orchestra It is available as a download from abruckner.com

SonicMan46

Mozart, WA - Piano Music, CDs 3-5 w/ Kristian Bezuidenhout on fortepiano (FP) - continuing w/ this new box; outstanding large booklet (158 pgs) in multiple languages; discs 3-5 (and the remaining 4) another FP by Paul McNulty, Divisov (Czech Republic), 2009 after Anton Walter & Sohn, Vienna, ca. 1805.  Dave :)

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 25, 2022, 09:36:03 AM
Hi Harry - I own the 4 volumes (just first one shown below) of the Gade's Symphonies w/ Hogwood and the Danish National RSO on Chandos, and have enjoyed the performances - have you heard and compared Jarvi w/ Hogwood?  Thanks for any info - Dave :)

Apart from a few snatches of Hogwood's performance, which I heard, I came to the conclusion that Järvi felt more authentic so I never bought the Hogwood performances, but I will sample them again. Thank you Dave for reminding me of them.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on January 25, 2022, 12:55:14 PM
Apart from a few snatches of Hogwood's performance, which I heard, I came to the conclusion that Järvi felt more authentic so I never bought the Hogwood performances, but I will sample them again. Thank you Dave for reminding me of them.

Thanks Harry - might do the same - found Järvi on Spotify - Dave :)

Mirror Image

NP:

Martin
Trio on Popular Irish Folk Tunes
Armène Stakian (vln) Pascal Desarzens (vc) Daniel Fuchs (p)

Mandryka

One of the best Heidsieck recordings and one of the best Mozart recordings I've heard -- Heidsieck in the Toshiba studios in Tokyo in 1970 -- impeccable sound even by todays standards -- expressive and organic performance, without intrusive rubato, often quite incandescent, he was obviously in a good mood that day --  impossible to find, but it's on symphonyshare -- grab it!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 01:13:54 PM
NP:

Martin
Trio on Popular Irish Folk Tunes
Armène Stakian (vln) Pascal Desarzens (vc) Daniel Fuchs (p)

Frank Martin is yet another composer whose work I wish I knew better. He can queue up behind Bloch and Ginastera! ;D

TD: Ives Piano Sonata day!

Piano sonata no. 1
Jeremy Denk

Piano sonata no. 2 'Concord, Mass. 1840-1860'
Gilbert Kalish

(both on Spotify)

These are really impressive, virtuosic works - not easy on the ears in many spots, but really rewarding and satisfying. There's a lot to digest here, so I know I'll return to these works again!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 25, 2022, 03:07:44 PM
Frank Martin is yet another composer whose work I wish I knew better. He can queue up behind Bloch and Ginastera! ;D

I like Ginastera, but I'm rather ambivalent about Bloch. Frank Martin, OTOH, is right up my alley. He's an odd composer, but yet subtly powerful. He doesn't bludgeon the listener over the head. If I were a conductor, I would most definitely champion his music.

Mirror Image

First-Listen Tuesday

Hahn
L'île du rêve
Hélène Guilmette, Artavazd Sargsyan, Cyrille Dubois, Anaïk Morel, Thomas Dolié, Ludivine Gombert
Munich Radio Orchestra, Chœur du Concert Spirituel
Hervé Niquet

Hahn wrote this opera when he was a teenager, but you'd never know as the writing is carried off with great ease and maturity. Lyrical and easy on the ears. Hahn's writing, in a way, reminds me of Frank Martin if I may use an "out there" comparison in that this is music that relies on subtlety and color. Of course, with Hahn, melodies are supplied aplenty. I guess this is my roundabout way of saying that I'm rather enjoying this opera. :)

bhodges

Lutoslawski: Concerto for Orchestra (Frankfurt Radio Symphony / Krzysztof Urbański, conductor) - The Frankfurt ensemble and their technical staff are doing a fantastic job with these live concerts. However one feels about the performances (most are excellent), the audio and video quality are superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwCIK7uENM

--Bruce

Linz

Bruno Walter From this 5cd set CD1 from this  Sony set of Brahms

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 25, 2022, 03:07:44 PM

You've got a lot of great music in your future, my friend! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on January 25, 2022, 04:17:09 PM
You've got a lot of great music in your future, my friend! ;)

As do you with what I hope will be a fruitful Frank Martin traversal. ;)