Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Last work for the night:

Roussel
Symphony No. 4 in A major, Op. 53
Orchestre National de France
Dutoit

bhodges

Mozart: Symphony No. 39 (Frankfurt Radio Symphony / Andrés Orozco-Estrada, conductor) - Recorded in September 2020, and yet another superb example of the Frankfurt ensemble rising to the occasion during the pandemic. Performance is sparkling, amplified by excellent audio and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAiF1PNlQ50

--Bruce

Que

Morning listening:

The Lily & the Rose is another amazing recording by the Binchois Consort of Early English polyphony. Indivual pieces by late English Medieval composers are grouped around the surviving parts of Walter Frye's Missa Flos Regalis along Marian themes inspired by Medieval alabaster sculptures, of which the booklet contains several pictures and information.

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68228

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Hyperion_CDA68170_68228.html

Harry

Johann Ludwig Krebs.

Complete Organ Works.
CD IV

Felix Friedrichs plays on a Trost organ, 1714?, Großengottern, St Walpurgiskirche, the restoration was completed in 1997.
Stimmung: Werckmeister (1698)
Stimmtonhöhe: Chorton.

What a sweet organ this is, despite its history the instrument was perfectly restored and sounds a charm. Friedrich makes a feast of the music. Perfectly recorded.
Who would not succumb to "Wir Glauben all an einem Gott" (canto fermo in soprano) Krebs WV 544a. Krebs was not for nothing a favourite pupil of Bach!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 25, 2022, 05:07:20 PM
What did you think about it? Is Alwyn more nationalistic or not?  ;) :D

My God! Talk about kicking the wasp nest. ::)

TD

Ravel: Piano Trio.

Recorded 1952.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Niels W. Gade.

Complete Symphonies.

Symphony No 3 in A minor & No. 4 in B flat major.
Stockholm Sinfonietta, Neeme Jarvi.

Still sublime interpretations.

prémont

Quote from: Daverz on January 25, 2022, 07:23:53 PM

I culled Sandor's Vox recordings of the piano sonatas after comparing them to Raekallio, but perhaps I done him wrong.  I did keep this set of the other piano music, though, and am enjoying it now.  His playing is perhaps on the dry side.

Funny enough I did the opposite, kept the sonatas and culled the other piano music. I wouldn't call his playing dry but maybe aristocratic.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

This has a performance of Dallapiccola's Sappho settings, the Liriche Greche - Florestan, you should try to hear this music. It has your name written all over it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 26, 2022, 12:33:27 AM
Jonathan Leshnoff's Guitar Concerto 
    Giancarlo Guerrero, Nashville Symphony Orchestra, Jason Vieaux (guitar)
I really like that CD, especially the Symphony. As for recent discussion here a big thumbs up for Ben Haim and Honegger (above). As for VW cycles I'm not such a fan of the Haitink one, apart from A Sea Symphony which brought that work alive for me. I've got to enjoy the Previn cycle in recent years, before that I was very loyal to Boult and Barbirolli. As with his Bax recordings I rate the Bryden Thomson cycle very highly.
TD
Ippolitov-Ivanov: Symphony No.1 (I don't think that there's a Symphony No.2)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

This is white hot. Litton takes no prisoners in his unabashedly romantic and passionate account of this magnificent work. He indulges in liberal use of portamenti in the strings resulting in a gloriously sensuous, even voluptuous sound. All sections of the Bergens are in top form but a particular hat tip to whoever played the long clarinet solo in the beginning of the slow movement: it never sounded more achingly nostalgic and heartmeltingly melifluous. The sonics are spectacular. Desert island stuff.

I can't remember who sang the praises of this disc here recently but he was right. The Bechstein sound is thinner, lighter and more crystalline than a Steinway lending a playful, even mischievous character to the music, which sounded so fresh as if I had never heard it before. Revelatory.

Nos. 22 and 23.

Approaching the end of this fabulous journey.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Frank Bridge.
Orchestral Works. CD II.

Dance Rhapsody
Five Entr'actes.
Dance Poem.
Norse Legend.
The Sea.

BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Richard Hickox.

mahler10th

Harry

Bohuslav Martinu.
Symphonies.
CD II.

No. 2 & 6, (Fantasies Symphoniques)

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Bryden Thomson.

Traverso

Mozart

piano sonata 1-7-10 & 14

Christian Zacharias

Pohjolas Daughter

Some Bach for me to start off the day.  His concertos BWV 1041 and 1042 for violin with David Oistrakh from this LP...ahhh!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Joseph Joachim Raff.

CD II

Symphony No. 2 in C major.
Suite for Orchestra Aus Thüringen"

Bamberger Symphoniker, Hans Stadlmair.

Very successful performances, I simply love the music by Raff. The performances are first rate, Stadlmair has one of the very best orchestras to record the music with.

vandermolen

Salmenhaara: Symphony No.4 'Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita'.
One of my favourite discoveries of the last couple of years:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2022, 05:42:58 AM
Salmenhaara: Symphony No.4 'Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita'.
One of my favourite discoveries of the last couple of years:

+1

Traverso

Mahler

Symphony No.1

Netherlands Radio Philharmonic  Edo de Waart

These are live recordings made during a Matinee(s) on a free Saturday in the hall of the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.
The recordings were probably provided by the Dutch Radio and Television broadcaster and published by RCA (1993).
Unfortunately, these fine recordings were only available for a very short time.
We probably won't see this recording in a new release which is a real shame.

Harry

Hugo Alfven.

Swedish Rhapsody No. 1.
Symphony No. 2 in D major.

Royal Stockholm, PO, Neeme Järvi.