What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2022, 05:17:31 PM
We all know that already, don't we, Jeffrey.  ;)

It's okay as there are an inordinate amount of composers that Jeffrey likes that I do not. :) But, thankfully, we do have some similar likes and overlap here and there. The same with you and me.

Klavier1

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2022, 05:12:52 PM
How is this work? Worth listening?
I'm not a huge John Adams fan, but there's enough rhythmic variety to keep this from being as repetitive as some minimalism. In fact, that's probably not an accurate appellation for "Must....?" Great playing by all involved. So, overall it's worth a listen, particularly if you use any of the streaming platforms.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 26, 2022, 05:18:35 PM
Three remarkable works, but the 2nd just stands out.

Yes and I think the reason it does is because of that middle movement Adagio. Some of the most poignant writing I've heard from him. But, to be honest, I'm currently re-evaluating much of his music and familiarizing myself with many works that I simply don't know well (or even at all).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2022, 05:19:24 PM
It's okay as there are an inordinate amount of composers that Jeffrey likes that I do not. :) But, thankfully, we do have some similar likes and overlap here and there. The same with you and me.

I was joking, of course!

We all have our tastes and musical inclinations. It's really entertaining to me to interact with others here, even when we all disagree often each other, I have fun.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Klavier1 on January 26, 2022, 05:20:55 PM
I'm not a huge John Adams fan, but there's enough rhythmic variety to keep this from being as repetitive as some minimalism. In fact, that's probably not an accurate appellation for "Must....?" Great playing by all involved. So, overall it's worth a listen, particularly if you use any of the streaming platforms.

Most helpful, thank you.

Precisely, streaming services can save you from many disappointments when purchasing something you don't properly enjoy or are satisfied with.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Quote from: kyjo on January 25, 2022, 04:17:09 PM
You've got a lot of great music in your future, my friend! ;)

I know! ;D I'm sure I'll want to revisit some old favorites (Part 1 of my mega-order from Presto just arrived, which contains many of said "old favorites"), but I'm really looking forward to doing "deep dives" on composers whose music I'm not intimately familiar with.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 25, 2022, 06:13:18 PM
Schmitt has several facets as a composer: as late-Romantic (opulent and sumptuous), Neoclassical, Impressionist, putting his toes into Twelve-tones (I imagine), I mean. You'll probably love this composer's music. Raphael could also agree with me about Schmitt's greatness and genius.

... John is staring at you because of the Respighi, CG!  ;D

I remember sampling several recordings of Schmitt's orchestral music on Spotify and being impressed, but I know next to nothing of his piano works or chamber music.

And I look forward to sampling the rest of that Respighi/Muti recording!

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 25, 2022, 05:58:32 PM
A needed antidote to the Ives pandemic:  :P

Schuman: Symphony No. 5 for string orchestra

Jaw-droppingly extraordinary stuff, and in its most significant recording.

I acknowledge my full participation in the deluge of Ives in recent days! ;D Schuman is a composer who has never made an impression on me, but I would like to listen to him again.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 06:18:22 PM
Damn right! How dare anyone criticize my favorite recording of the Roman Trilogy! ;) J/k. :P As for Schmitt, I do need to give his music another go, but the last time I did, I certainly wasn't as enthusiastic as you or Rafael. I did like La Tragédie de Salomé a lot, though, so maybe there's hope for me yet. I'd like to check out his chamber and solo piano works --- I've read good things about them.

I'll admit I just heard Fountains of Rome, and I found a lot to like about it. I especially look forward to listening to Muti's Roman Festivals, probably my favorite of the trilogy. Such a cool piece! That absolutely insane ending just amazes me every time!

TD: Didn't have time for much listening today, unfortunately...

Charles Ives
String quartets nos. 1 and 2
Emerson String Quartet

(on Spotify)

Two works that couldn't be more different from each other! No. 1 is touchingly and hauntingly beautiful, and No. 2 is "patchwork" Ives at his finest - it's remarkable how many overlaps and clashes he gets out of just four parts. The second movement is subtitled "Arguments" - and it really sounds like an argument! Fascinating works.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on January 26, 2022, 09:39:48 AM
Besides Litton, I've heard Previn/LSO and Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw but I remember being less impressed performance-wise. What are your favorite recordings?

Actually, it think this is one of those works which are best experienced in the concert hall. A few years ago I heard it live with the Romanian NRSO conducted by I can't remember who and the aural impact was greater than any recording. Also, the visual aspect of a live concert is not lost on me. I know some people close their eyes but I am among those who keep them wide open.

I hate to be unhelpful, Andrei, but I don't really have a favorite recording of Rach's 2nd Symphony. Like I said, I haven't found the ideal recording yet. I've heard the Ashkenazy/Concertgebouw, which is certainly very well-played but missing that voluptuous Romantic passion that I look for in the work. Litton/Bergen Philharmonic is my favorite so far, I just wish his tempi in the fast sections were quicker.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 26, 2022, 11:58:48 AM
Why-Not? Wednesday:

https://www.youtube.com/v/0mSgr5M3JzA

And?? ;) I enjoy this rather Brahmsian (but not derivative) early work of Juon's, which includes a set of variations that uniquely stretches across three movements!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Sculthorpe: Kakadu

Absolutely one of the greatest "tone poems" from the second half of the 20th century! I love the ritualistic manner in which the work opens, with its pounding drum ostinato. There's a mysterious, improvisatory middle section before an affirmative, sunrise-like ending.

Szymanowski: Symphony no. 1

Actually, this weird little two-movement oddity of a symphony exceeded my expectations. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it possesses a sort of wild energy at its climaxes that is quite thrilling. I have yet to hear his 2nd Symphony, btw....

Zemlinsky: Die Seejungfrau; Psalms 13 and 23

One of the finest single discs devoted to Zemlinsky's music, without a doubt! Die Seejungfrau is one of the glories of Austro-German late-romanticism, full of color, swashbuckling drama, and a very personal brand of eloquent majesty. The extraordinary Psalm 13 is a great example of Zemlinsky's later style - "knottier" and darkly chromatic but eventually emerging in a blaze of D major tonality in the organ-capped coda. By contrast, the Psalm 23 is beautifully idyllic.

Wellesz: String Quartet no. 3

A beautiful early work couched in the same modal, pastoral idiom frequented by Honegger and Schoeck in some of their sunnier works.

Yoshimatsu: Symphony no. 2 At terra

Yoshimatsu conjures up some haunting, "exotic" sonorities here, especially in the extended first movement Dirge from the East. He also has an interesting tendency to write substantial cello solos rather in the manner of those found in Sibelius 4. The vibrant, rhythmic finale shares material with that of the Third Symphony, and it's worked out on a more epic, celebratory scale in the subsequent work.

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on January 26, 2022, 05:54:52 PM
And?? ;) I enjoy this rather Brahmsian (but not derivative) early work of Juon's, which includes a set of variations that uniquely stretches across three movements!

Enjoyed it, need to dig into it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

92 minutes for 19 nocturnes.  Recorded in 1966.  For some reason 6 of them are in mono while the rest are in stereo. [Problem with the archived tapes, perhaps?]

Despite the relative speed, Francois manages to get the poetry.

CDs 31 and 32 of the Erato set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: André on January 26, 2022, 12:08:23 PM

Back to basics.

Pretty much the first classical album I purchased for myself. On cassette. Still think it's excellent.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Listening to just now: early Beethoven chamber music.

First a couple of violin/piano works which don't always get included with the sonatas (including on my CD choice), but which James Ehnes nicely included.

Then the works for mandolin and keyboard. Not essentially stuff by any means, but interesting to hear.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on January 26, 2022, 07:06:09 PM
Pretty much the first classical album I purchased for myself. On cassette. Still think it's excellent.

Not my first classical CD, but it was, together with the companion CD containing the rest of Opus 76, my first foray into Haydn's string quartets.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

NP:

Koechlin
String Quartet No. 2, Op. 57
Ardeo Quartet

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on January 26, 2022, 06:26:54 PM
Sculthorpe: Kakadu

Absolutely one of the greatest "tone poems" from the second half of the 20th century! I love the ritualistic manner in which the work opens, with its pounding drum ostinato. There's a mysterious, improvisatory middle section before an affirmative, sunrise-like ending.

Szymanowski: Symphony no. 1

Actually, this weird little two-movement oddity of a symphony exceeded my expectations. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it possesses a sort of wild energy at its climaxes that is quite thrilling. I have yet to hear his 2nd Symphony, btw....

Zemlinsky: Die Seejungfrau; Psalms 13 and 23

One of the finest single discs devoted to Zemlinsky's music, without a doubt! Die Seejungfrau is one of the glories of Austro-German late-romanticism, full of color, swashbuckling drama, and a very personal brand of eloquent majesty. The extraordinary Psalm 13 is a great example of Zemlinsky's later style - "knottier" and darkly chromatic but eventually emerging in a blaze of D major tonality in the organ-capped coda. By contrast, the Psalm 23 is beautifully idyllic.

Wellesz: String Quartet no. 3

A beautiful early work couched in the same modal, pastoral idiom frequented by Honegger and Schoeck in some of their sunnier works.

Yoshimatsu: Symphony no. 2 At terra

Yoshimatsu conjures up some haunting, "exotic" sonorities here, especially in the extended first movement Dirge from the East. He also has an interesting tendency to write substantial cello solos rather in the manner of those found in Sibelius 4. The vibrant, rhythmic finale shares material with that of the Third Symphony, and it's worked out on a more epic, celebratory scale in the subsequent work.

To the bolded text: You have heard more obscure composers and works, but you haven't heard Szyma's 2nd yet? Paradoxical,  ;) :D you have a huge input in this forum regarding symphonic music and works, composers and styles in general.

And +1 for the others. That is the most approachable Wellesz's Quartet. The main theme from the 2nd movement has a catchy and dramatic feel to it I find quite memorable.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Yeah, Kyle needs to be taken out back to be horsewhipped for not having heard Szymanowski's 2nd symphony. ;) ;D To be fair, as much as I love Szymanowski's music, I'm not actually too familiar with it myself even though I've probably heard it a few times already.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 26, 2022, 05:39:00 PM
I remember sampling several recordings of Schmitt's orchestral music on Spotify and being impressed, but I know next to nothing of his piano works or chamber music.

And I look forward to sampling the rest of that Respighi/Muti recording!

I acknowledge my full participation in the deluge of Ives in recent days! ;D Schuman is a composer who has never made an impression on me, but I would like to listen to him again.

I'll admit I just heard Fountains of Rome, and I found a lot to like about it. I especially look forward to listening to Muti's Roman Festivals, probably my favorite of the trilogy. Such a cool piece! That absolutely insane ending just amazes me every time!

TD: Didn't have time for much listening today, unfortunately...

Charles Ives
String quartets nos. 1 and 2
Emerson String Quartet

(on Spotify)

Two works that couldn't be more different from each other! No. 1 is touchingly and hauntingly beautiful, and No. 2 is "patchwork" Ives at his finest - it's remarkable how many overlaps and clashes he gets out of just four parts. The second movement is subtitled "Arguments" - and it really sounds like an argument! Fascinating works.

By Schmitt, the masterpiece in the chamber form is the monumental, sumptuous and intensely lyric Piano Quintet in B minor! Don't miss it when you decide to adventure by yourself!

I also find more interesting the 2nd Quartet, there is more "Ivesian" identity, though I do like the hymn-like and pastoral 1st.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Selections from this wonderful recording:

Mirror Image

Last work for the night:

Debussy
Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
New Philharmonia
Boulez

I don't listen to Debussy's orchestral music that much (not that I don't love it of course), but, for me, Boulez's earlier Debussy far outshines his later DG remakes, although there were some works he recorded of Debussy's that he hadn't previously like the orchestrated versions of Trois Ballades de François Villon and Le Jet d'eau from Cinq Poèmes de Baudelaire, which both feature soprano Alison Hagley (and gorgeous performances they are too!).