What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Linz

Arnold Bax Symphonies 1 And 6 with Bryden Thomson

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on January 27, 2022, 10:04:24 AM

Symphony no 3 'Heroic' (for strings only) by Gavriil Popov (+ a filler). Honestly not in the same league as that composer's outstanding symphonies 1 and 2. Thank you Spotify, you made me save money 0:)

A success story!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 27, 2022, 10:04:24 AM

Symphony no 3 'Heroic' (for strings only) by Gavriil Popov (+ a filler). Honestly not in the same league as that composer's outstanding symphonies 1 and 2. Thank you Spotify, you made me save money 0:)
+1 Good cover art though!

No.6 is good André. Do you know it?
It reminds me of Nielsen's 6th Symphony as it strives to be jolly but there's an underlying sense of tragedy (sounds like me!  ;D)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

listener

LIAPOUNOV  Symphony no.2 in bb op. 66
Radio France Philharmonic Orch.  Evgenyi Svetlanov cond.
public performance, very little noise from them.
William BOYCE The Eight Symphonies
Bournemouth Sinfonietta   Ronald Thomas cond.
genial, like Handel's op.6 concertos
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2022, 10:17:39 AM
+1 Good cover art though!

No.6 is good André. Do you know it?
It reminds me of Nielsen's 6th Symphony as it strives to be jolly but there's an underlying sense of tragedy (sounds like me!  ;D)

Hi Jeffrey ! Yes, I have the 6th on the Olympia label. It's very fine work.

I usually enjoy strings-only works (fine examples abound) but here Popov doesn't have memorable material and most of the time his writing is in unison. Textures sound clotted and unvaried.

Karl Henning

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

You're wrong, it's the other way around: you strive for tragedy and gloom but there's always such jollity in your posts that I can't take you seriously.  ;D >:D :P
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Geo. Antheil
A Jazz Symphony (1925)
BMOP (Boston Modern Orchestra Project)
Gil Rose
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2022, 10:48:49 AM
You're wrong, it's the other way around: you strive for tragedy and gloom but there's always such jollity in your posts that I can't take you seriously.  ;D >:D :P
LOL  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 27, 2022, 10:28:50 AM
Hi Jeffrey ! Yes, I have the 6th on the Olympia label. It's very fine work.

I usually enjoy strings-only works (fine examples abound) but here Popov doesn't have memorable material and most of the time his writing is in unison. Textures sound clotted and unvaried.
Totally agree with you André. The Northern Flowers CD featuring Symphony No.3 was a disappointment but Popov definitely returns to form in the 6th Symphony with its ominous references to Boris Godunov. I find the final section very moving.

foxandpeng

Dmitri Shostakovich
String Quartets 3 and 8
Novus Quartet
SWR

New release, first hearing.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Brahms Symphony 4 Tragic Overture and Schicksalslied op. 54

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2022, 10:48:49 AM

:laugh: :laugh:
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

foxandpeng

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 27, 2022, 10:59:30 AM
Geo. Antheil
A Jazz Symphony (1925)
BMOP (Boston Modern Orchestra Project)
Gil Rose

+1 Mr. Antheil
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Que

ritter

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 07:25:43 AM
I don't mind applause...
But apparently the Bertini recording was never released on CD

It was reissued on CD, on a cheapo RCA series (I have a copy in my collection). It's long OOP, but second-hand copies are available at reasonable prices on European Amazon (that's how I got mine), probably also in the US.

Notes and synopsis in English, German and French. Full German libretto, but no translation.

JBS

Quote from: ritter on January 27, 2022, 12:03:56 PM
It was reissued on CD, on a cheapo RCA series (I have a copy in my collection). It's long OOP, but second-hand copies are available at reasonable prices on European Amazon (that's how I got mine), probably also in the US.

Notes and synopsis in English, German and French. Full German libretto, but no translation.

Thanks, I shall look again--but the first time Amazon US only showed LP copies.

ETA
Only copy on Amazon US is listed at $47.
:(

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Linz

Haydn Masses With Nikolaus Harnoncourt and the Concentus Musicus Wien Cd1 Missa in tempore belli, Hob.XXII:9 "Paukenmesse" and Salve Regina, Hob.XXIIIb:2

classicalgeek

Quote from: Linz on January 27, 2022, 11:21:15 AM
Brahms Symphony 4 Tragic Overture and Schicksalslied op. 54

Schicksalslied is so beautiful - really, all the Brahms works for chorus and orchestra are (including the Alto Rhapsody.) I've long loved the Abbado/Berlin recordings on DG (except for the Alto Rhapsody, where no one can compare to Janet Baker), but I'm sure Walter does them really well too.

TD: something not by Ives!

Debussy
Le Martyre de Saint Sébastien
London Symphony Orchestra (with soloists and chorus)
Michael Tilson Thomas

(on Spotify)

I confess I wasn't really that familiar with the piece... but it's delightful! Debussy orchestration is dazzling, of course (and there are plenty of orchestral bits in between the vocal parts), the LSO and the various soloists and chorus are all top-notch, and Tilson Thomas keeps it all flowing nicely. Thanks John/MI for the recommendation!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 27, 2022, 01:09:50 PM
Debussy
Le Martyre de Saint Sébastien
London Symphony Orchestra (with soloists and chorus)
Michael Tilson Thomas

I confess I wasn't really that familiar with the piece... but it's delightful! Debussy orchestration is dazzling, of course (and there are plenty of orchestral bits in between the vocal parts), the LSO and the various soloists and chorus are all top-notch, and Tilson Thomas keeps it all flowing nicely. Thanks John/MI for the recommendation!

Pounds the table! Glad you enjoyed it.