What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka, steve ridgway and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Iota

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2022, 09:56:37 AM
Indeed. An endlessly fascinating piece, The Unanswered Question. I've seen it live in concert only once, and it was a memorable occasion. Conductor Jonathan Nott (leading the Bamberg Symphony) did a daring thing: he started the evening's programme with the Ives piece, and then went straight, attacca, into Schubert's Unfinished Symphony. The effect was mesmerising.  :)

Good evening to you, Iota.

That sounds an inspired idea! And even just conjuring up the segue in my head I get a sense of how magical that could be. Glad you shared it! :)  Good evening to you too, ritter.

André

All 4 works are for orchestra only. The evocative titles do not relate to any lyrics. Powerful stuff (currently listening to Suomi-Finland).

foxandpeng

Quote from: Linz on January 28, 2022, 10:04:53 AM
Bruckner 5 with Eugen Jochum taking his time with it and the Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam

Thank you. This is also excellent for Symphony #5, following your lead!

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Haydn Symphonies with Hermann Scherchen from this DG issue Cd1 Symphonies 44, 92 and 45

Linz

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 28, 2022, 11:29:53 AM
Thank you. This is also excellent for Symphony #5, following your lead!
It is a different 5  the 5 in DG set is from the 50's while the Tahra one is from 86

foxandpeng

Quote from: Linz on January 28, 2022, 11:49:06 AM
It is a different 5  the 5 in DG set is from the 50's while the Tahra one is from 86

Yes, indeed! I gravitated to the DG set because I once owned a hard copy of #8 from this cycle, and your post pointing up Jochum reminded me how much I enjoyed it. There are several warm reviews of this set from the 50's, and I thought I would give it a whirl before I step on to #6.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

premont

Quote from: Traverso on January 28, 2022, 08:51:24 AM
It is clear that you are hooked in the Baroque era,it is a rich world to dwell in. :)

I have been for the most of my life, and isn't it true of you too?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Linz

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 28, 2022, 11:58:51 AM
Yes, indeed! I gravitated to the DG set because I once owned a hard copy of #8 from this cycle, and your post pointing up Jochum reminded me how much I enjoyed it. There are several warm reviews of this set from the 50's, and I thought I would give it a whirl before I step on to #6.
Yes I agree the Jochum DG set is one of the very good sets and I like it very much as well

SonicMan46

Albinoni, Tomaso (1671-1751) - Oboe Concertos, Op. 7 & 9 w/ Stefan Schilli on a modern instrument; Nicol Matt/Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra - wonderful performances, but for period instrument fans, I also own the first two of three volumes (bottom row) w/ Anthony Robson and Catherine Latham on oboes, plus Simon Standage & Collegium Musicum 90, which have the two Opus works 'mixed up' - the remainder are on a third disc - this has been re-packaged (and re-arranged) into a 3-CD set (top row, 2nd/3rd pics) but is not a bargain, e.g. $37 on Amazon USA - might just get a DL to complete my 'period set', but that 're-arrangement' is attractive - drat!   :laugh:  Dave

Linz

Handel Israel in Egypt with John Eliot Gardiner with the Montiverdi Choir and the Baroque soloists

vandermolen

Bax: Symphony No.6
Thomson's performance brought this work alive for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Time to get started with this set

CD 1
1928 recordings: sound (2020 mastering) is relatively good compared to most from that era.
Orchestra is credited as John Barbirolli's Chamber Orchestra.
Purcell Hornpipe from "The Married Beau"
Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Haydn Symphony 104
Elgar Introduction and Allegro for Strings

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Papy Oli

Quote from: Traverso on January 28, 2022, 08:51:24 AM
It is clear that you are hooked in the Baroque era,it is a rich world to dwell in. :)

You can say that again, Jan  ;D

Only a few months properly into this world but it is very rich and rewarding indeed.
Olivier

classicalgeek

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 28, 2022, 11:58:51 AM

Quote from: Linz on January 28, 2022, 12:11:44 PM
Yes I agree the Jochum DG set is one of the very good sets and I like it very much as well

I too really enjoy Jochum in Bruckner - I have a slight preference for the EMI cycle, but the DG cycle is very fine as well.

Quote from: vandermolen on January 28, 2022, 12:57:01 PM

Great stuff! I especially like the opening with that relentless ostinato in the bass instruments.

TD: Sunny songs for a rare sunny day (at least in January in the U.S. Northwest!)

Canteloube
Chants d'Auvergne, Part 1
Veronique Gens
Orchestre National de Lille
Jean-Claude Casadesus

(on Spotify)

I've always really liked these songs, which run the whole range of emotions from sad to wistful to joyful to humorous... and I have to say the Gens has the perfect voice for these! She carefully and lovingly shapes each song, and the result is mesmerizing. The orchestration is full of color, as is the orchestra from Lille; the piquant woodwinds especially stand out. Just an outstanding recording overall.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

CD 5
BSO/Leinsdorf
Vn Cto № 1 in D, Op. 19
Erick Friedman

Vn Cto № 2 in g minor, Op. 63
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 28, 2022, 01:39:13 PM
You can say that again, Jan  ;D

Only a few months properly into this world but it is very rich and rewarding indeed.

Welcome to the Club!  :D

Harry

Quote from: André on January 28, 2022, 11:27:33 AM

All 4 works are for orchestra only. The evocative titles do not relate to any lyrics. Powerful stuff (currently listening to Suomi-Finland).

I love this disc to bits.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on January 28, 2022, 12:57:01 PM

Presently I am going through the Vernon Handley set. He brings to the music by Bax, insight in the many moods of one of the greatest composers that ever graced the earth. I always need time to recover myself when I have listened to any of his works. Its so giving these notes.....I have to address Thomson's take sooner or later. I started listening to Bax when I bought an LP with Tintagel on it, i was hooked right away.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."