What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2022, 04:13:25 PM
After supper, CD 2, with recordings from 1929-31.
It starts off with a technological oddity: two pieces for cello orchestra arranged by Barbirolli (an aria from Die Zauberflote) and by Casals(Sardana) recorded over a landline from the ROH to Small Queen's Hall in London. They do sound like they were recorded over the phone. Then three Orchestral Potpourris from Faust, Carmen, and Tannhauser, the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana, two pieces by Glazunov, and something from a composer I've never heard of, Alexandre Luigini*'s [1850-1906] Ballet Russe Op. 23.
Orchestras are Royal Opera and London Symphony Orchestras, except for those first two all-cello tracks.

Impression is that Barbirolli was at this stage a sort of jack-of-all-musics.
*My brain wants to turn this into Linguine.

Recording over a dedicated phone line was not uncommon. The famous recording of Pictures at an Exhibition by Kubelik/Chicago, the first
Mercury Living Presence" recording, was recorded over a phone line. It's basically just a long wire connection.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Daverz

Bloch: Suite for Viola & Orchestra.

Madiel

Another Chopin/Ashkenazy LP reconstruction.

This pretty much has Chopin's earliest compositions, up until about 1826. Lots of polonaises including the ones that were published when he was 7.

I'm not expecting to be amazed by any of this, though I do know some of those early polonaises are pretty good, and the op.1 and op.5 rondos were good enough in Chopin's own view to choose them for publication as he got his career going in earnest.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Chopin, Krakowiak rondo op.14

One of Chopin's better orchestral works in my opinion. On past listens, I like opuses 13 and 14 better than the concertos.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Chopin?

No, Champagne, please! In company of:

Suppé: Banditenstreiche - Overture

Suppé + Järvi + Royal Scottish National Orchestra + Chandos would seem like a guaranteed success in every possible way. Well, I can't say it is true. I can't pinpoint what wrong it is, however. Hmmm I was expecting something better, truth be told, overall. I do hope the rest of the marches, overtures and such will be more convincing.

Graener: Symphony in D minor Schmied Schmerz

Oh, this is much better for sure. Graener is yet another one of those brilliant late-Romantic German composers with soul of nostalgia and drama.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 28, 2022, 05:17:20 PM
Looks yummy, John. But is Zinman sharp-edged enough to conduct and keep the exciting moments alive with the orchestra?

He's a bit heavy, but, yes, he keeps the orchestra on their toes. A killer disc all-around.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 28, 2022, 08:52:41 PM
He's a bit heavy, but, yes, he keeps the orchestra on their toes. A killer disc all-around.

Good to hear, thanks!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 28, 2022, 05:56:34 PMFranck
Symphony in D minor
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Pierre Monteux

(on Spotify)

I can see why this is a classic performance! White-hot and intense in the outer movements, with a perfectly wistful second movement, and outstanding playing from the Chicagoans.

Riding my coattails again I see. First with Ives and then Canteloube and now with Franck. ;) ;D Anyway, some great stuff you've been listening to lately.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 28, 2022, 08:55:02 PM
Riding my coattails again I see.
With that super long coattail, no one sweeps the floor like you do, John!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Madiel

Dvorak, Symphony No.3

If I get a complete set of Dvorak symphonies, this will really be the work that I'm getting it for. So let's see how Suitner does.

EDIT: Okay, there's plenty of fun to be had here!

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on January 28, 2022, 08:56:59 PM
With that super long coattail, no one sweeps the floor like you do, John!

:P

Symphonic Addict

Britten: Passacaglia from Peter Grimes

I had forgot how engaging this orchestral extract is. An ominous miniature masterpiece.

Ireland: Mai-Dun

From one terrific Passacaglia to a legend of ancient times, I was lead to this fascinating orchestral journey that has all the epithets to be considered a masterpiece. This is an excellent disc for Ireland starters in orchestral music. Phenomenal!

Braunfels: Sinfonia Concertante for violin, viola, two horns and string orchestra, Op. 68

Inventive, fresh, rigurous, austere as orchestration is concerned, a formidable piece. This is not Braunfels at his jolliest, though, the music is cleverly interwoven and gripping. The composition of a mature creator.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 28, 2022, 09:21:27 PM
Britten: Passacaglia from Peter Grimes

I had forgot how engaging this orchestral extract is. An ominous miniature masterpiece.

Ireland: Mai-Dun

From one terrific Passacaglia to a legend of ancient times, I was lead to this fascinating orchestral journey that has all the epithets to be considered a masterpiece. This is an excellent disc for Ireland starters in orchestral music. Phenomenal!

Braunfels: Sinfonia Concertante for violin, viola, two horns and string orchestra, Op. 68

Inventive, fresh, rigurous, austere as orchestration is concerned, a formidable piece. This is not Braunfels at his jolliest, though, the music is cleverly interwoven and gripping. The composition of a mature creator.

Agree about Mai-Dun Cesar and I also love The Forgotten Rite. Those Previn/Britten and Boult/Ireland CDs are very special.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Morning listening - a recent purchase:

Funeral music for prinz Heinrich Posthumus von Reuß

Que

After Schütz some Italian exuberance (Spotify):

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 28, 2022, 05:16:04 PM
Craftsmanship and loveliness aplenty!

A perfect entry point for Sir Michael.

Side 2 of record 1 comprises of John Ogden playing the single movement 2nd Piano Sonata, a piece that takes no prisoners. Followed by the much easier on the ear 1st String Quartet performed by The Edinburgh Quartet. A well balanced quartet with a beautiful Lento cantabile middle movement. Beethoven is lurking somewhere in the background, I think. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 28, 2022, 11:57:32 PM
Agree about Mai-Dun Cesar and I also love The Forgotten Rite. Those Previn/Britten and Boult/Ireland CDs are very special.

+1 John Ireland felt, I believe, a spiritual connection with ancient history. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Sheer joy from start to finish, though not without melancholy tinges (pace Traverso). Such music is the sonic equivalent of sunshine.

A superb selection of Liszt's lieder, expertly performed by a team made in heaven. If you didn't know Liszt wrote lieder and are curious about them, this is a very good entry point. Highly recommended.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Scriabin

3 Etudes, op.65
Piano Sonata No.6