What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter, Mandryka, Maestro267 (+ 1 Hidden) and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

That was a good trick!

Now streaming: Debussy, Sonata for flute, viola and harp

I need to get a copy of this work into my collection.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Browsed Spotify for a performance of Marcello's oboe concerto, the model for Bach's BWV 974, and ended up with a predictable choice:

Que

Dipping some more into this set:

Paris Symphonies nos. 85-87.

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on January 29, 2022, 01:11:59 AM

Sheer joy from start to finish, though not without melancholy tinges (pace Traverso). Such music is the sonic equivalent of sunshine.

A superb selection of Liszt's lieder, expertly performed by a team made in heaven. If you didn't know Liszt wrote lieder and are curious about them, this is a very good entry point. Highly recommended.
The Liszt is superb, and I have been playing 3 discs of wind concertos from this set the last week, and they are indeed very inventive and entertaining:

The new erato

Now listening to another volume in what has turned out to be a very fine series:

Spotted Horses

Another recording of Roussel Bacchus et Ariane, Cluytens, Paris Conservatory Orchestra

I have it in the complete Cluytens box, which claims to have been remastered.

Wow! This may be my favorite, up there with Markevitch/Lamoureux, although it is only the orchestral suite (No 2) and not the full ballet as performed by Martinon/ORTF. Beautiful playing which conveys a lot of intensity and energy without being overpowering, in the best French tradition.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

Now trying Dvorak's other Cello Concerto, the A major...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Dufay

Returning to this fine recording

Harry

Charles Valentin Alkan.
Piano Music, volume I.

12 Etudes, opus 35.
Le Festin d'Esope, opus 39 No. 12 & Scherzo Diabolico, opus 39, No. 3

Bernard Ringeisen, Piano.

Gramophone mentioned, that Ringeisen's formidable technique seems to know no bounds, Hmmmm, true, but listening to opus 39, No. 12, he seems to think that he has a bunch of Stanley hammers, and slams away like the devil is on his heels. I do not really like that. Sound is really good for a Naxos recording of 1990. But even though I like the music I will cull this one out, in fact 'I will cull most of what I have. Most of them seem to be on Naxos, and many suffer from the likes of Teije van de Geest, being the engineer.
Presently I listen to another recording on Naxos, The Esquisses opus 63 played by Laurent Martin, much better as a interpretation and sound.
Still I need some serious advice on what are recordings I should know about to replace what I had and probably want more of this composer. Anyone has the knowledge?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

A couple of Bruhns cantatas from this twofer:

Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on January 29, 2022, 02:41:48 AM
That was a good trick!

Now streaming: Debussy, Sonata for flute, viola and harp

I need to get a copy of this work into my collection.

Go for that very recording you streamed.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Disc 28, the non-Liszt works plus some Bach-Busoni and Franck.  A hodge-podge disc of mixed production quality and some seriously empty playing in spots.  The 1958 Clair de lune is the highlight, and sounds really quite wonderful.  This just reinforces the impression that 50s/60s Cziffra sounds much better than 70s/80s Cziffra.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

springrite

Quote from: "Harry" on January 29, 2022, 04:38:04 AM
Charles Valentin Alkan.
Piano Music, volume I.

12 Etudes, opus 35.
Le Festin d'Esope, opus 39 No. 12 & Scherzo Diabolico, opus 39, No. 3

Bernard Ringeisen, Piano.

Gramophone mentioned, that Ringeisen's formidable technique seems to know no bounds, Hmmmm, true, but listening to opus 39, No. 12, he seems to think that he has a bunch of Stanley hammers, and slams away like the devil is on his heels. I do not really like that. Sound is really good for a Naxos recording of 1990. But even though I like the music I will cull this one out, in fact 'I will cull most of what I have. Most of them seem to be on Naxos, and many suffer from the likes of Teije van de Geest, being the engineer.
Presently I listen to another recording on Naxos, The Esquisses opus 63 played by Laurent Martin, much better as a interpretation and sound.
Still I need some serious advice on what are recordings I should know about to replace what I had and probably want more of this composer. Anyone has the knowledge?
Agree with you about Ringeisen and about the Martin Esquisses recording.

For the complete Opus 39, the Jack Gibbons recording is quite wonderful. I have Stephanie McÇallum for the Opus 35. But then again, you don't really have to get the complete Opus 39 on one recordings by one person. The three pianists I like the most for Alkan are Ronald Smith, Marc-Andre Hamelin and Raymond Lowenthal.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Florestan

Quote from: The new erato on January 29, 2022, 04:06:37 AM
The Liszt is superb, and I have been playing 3 discs of wind concertos from this set the last week, and they are indeed very inventive and entertaining:

I have all the volumes but started with the fourth because it contains my favorite Telemann concerto, the A Major TWV 51:A2 For Oboe D'Amore, Strings, & B.c. 8)

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: springrite on January 29, 2022, 04:52:04 AM
For the complete Opus 39, the Jack Gibbons recording is quite wonderful. ... The three pianists I like the most for Alkan are Ronald Smith, Marc-Andre Hamelin and Raymond Lowenthal.

+ 1.

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on January 29, 2022, 04:56:33 AM
+ 1.

I seem to recall an Alkan box on Brilliant, is that any good Andrei?

Harry

Quote from: springrite on January 29, 2022, 04:52:04 AM
Agree with you about Ringeisen and about the Martin Esquisses recording.

For the complete Opus 39, the Jack Gibbons recording is quite wonderful. I have Stephanie McÇallum for the Opus 35. But then again, you don't really have to get the complete Opus 39 on one recordings by one person. The three pianists I like the most for Alkan are Ronald Smith, Marc-Andre Hamelin and Raymond Lowenthal.

I will certainly investigate for sure, Paul, again thank you!

Papy Oli

Quote from: The new erato on January 29, 2022, 04:11:15 AM
Now listening to another volume in what has turned out to be a very fine series:

Thank you for the reminder on this Stradella series. I have bookmarked all 6 volumes on Idagio.

Any one in particular worth starting with please, Erato ?
Olivier

Harry

Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni.

Oboe concertos, opus 7.
No: 1,2,3,8, & 9.
Opus 9, No. 6.
Sinfonia in G major.

Anthony Camden & Alison Alty, Oboes.
The London Virtuosi, John Georgiadis.

What a surprise to find out that neither from opus 7 or 9 are complete recordings. The three discs I have are from 1992 & 1994. Naxos never completed them. The soloists are admirable, but the orchestra is one long legato affair, with a load of vibrato added, smooth operators so to say. It is not as I would like to hear Albinoni's Oboe concertos, but I have no choice, for they are simply not recorded in their entirety. A pity for the music is attractive and well written.  It is recorded by Simon Rhodes and Chris Craker, both good engineers. So the sound is good, and as far as the interpretations go quite good, but very unauthentic.
I saw a new recording by Camerata Köln 2021, but again a mix, and other composers added.

I saw a box recorded by Chandos with 3 CD's in it, on authentic instruments, but its not available anymore.

The new erato

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 29, 2022, 05:04:52 AM
Thank you for the reminder on this Stradella series. I have bookmarked all 6 volumes on Idagio.

Any one in particular worth starting with please, Erato ?
start with one of the 1 volum oratorios to find out if the series are to your liking. They have consistently been very good.