Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Bo Linde.
Orchestral Works Volume I.

Violin concerto & Cello concerto.
Karen Gomyo, Violin.
Maria Kliegel, Cello.
Gavle SO, Peter Sundkvist.

I discovered to late that I liked the music by Bo Linde, enormously. There are not many recordings around, so I managed to locate with great difficulty the first 2 volumes, and I got message from the seller, Swedish Society, that volume III was not available anymore. My bad, obviously, still I am quite sad about this. Searched the net for it, but was unable to locate it. So if anybody knows were to find a copy of this CD, I would be grateful.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Operafreak

Pierne: Chamber Music Vol. 2

Soloists from Luxemberg Philharmonic Orchestra
Delightfull music for the Monday afthernoon
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vandermolen

Rautavaara Symphony No.8 'The Journey':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on February 07, 2022, 04:00:51 AM
Aram Ilich Khachaturian's Spartacus 
    Aram Khachaturian, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

One of the very first LPs I was ever bought as an 8 year-old! Happily, the CD version is somewhat less scratched to pieces!
That was a famous old LP!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Julius Rontgen.
CD I.
Symphonies No.7/14/12.
Brandenburgisches Staatsorchester Frankfurt, David Porcelijn.

Top drawer Rontgen.

Linz

Haydn 2032 Il Giardino Armonico Vol. 10

André

Kodaly's most famous orchestral works in excellent sound and flavourful performances. Hary Janos in particular sparkles and delights like few other versions do. The Song movement is simply magical, and the cymbalom player is enchanting throughout.

Harry

George Enescu.

Violin Concerto.
Phantasy for Piano & Orchestra.

Carolin Widmann, Violin.
Luiza Borac, Piano.
NDR Radiophilharmonie, Peter Ruzicka

aligreto

Kodaly:

Dances of Marosszek: The music is both dramatic and atmospheric and it is also a story well told.
Theatre Overture: I find this to be an interesting work. Here is more storytelling from Kodaly. He paints wonderful sound pictures for me which fills my imagination with heroic struggles. I really like that aspect of his music.

Traverso

Quote from: Madiel on February 06, 2022, 11:30:24 PM
Mozart, Symphonies 16 to 18, all written in the same month.

EDIT: I've been sticking with this album for a while now when streaming early symphonies, and I'm consistently happy with it. I think that when I get around to purchases this will be something I look for.

This is a fine box with well played Mozart symphonies. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 06, 2022, 05:01:14 PM
CD 50

w/ Chas Neidich

Although Neidich is a superb clarinetist, of course, this disc is something of a chore for me.

Carl Maria von Weber
Clarinet Concerto № 1 in f minor, Op. 73
Clarinet Concertino in Eb, Op. 26

Gioachino Rossini
Introduction, Theme & Variations in Eb

Carl Maria von Weber
Clarinet Concerto № 2 in Eb, Op. 74

Well, I happily withdraw the "chore." I posted in ignorance. Somehow, and in spite of the von Weber being (as our Jeffrey said of the Procession of Bacchus from Sylvia) corn to CRB's sickle, I had never actually heard the First Clarinet Concerto before. wonderfully dramatic!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 06, 2022, 04:12:10 PM

Leonard Bernstein: Mass: A Theater Piece for Singers, Players & Dancers. Marin Alsop, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Morgan State University Choir, Peabody Children's Chorus, with Jubilant Sykes in the main vocal solo role

This sounds excellent! Alsop does not stray far from Bernstein's own recording interpretively, which should not come as a surprise; she was something of a protégé to the maestro. As for the work itself, it's absolutely brilliant; I must say, it's the work that sold me on Bernstein's greatness (as a composer). Sure, it's goofy. But it's a goofy masterpiece.

I once poo-pooed the Mass, but those days are done. I love it, whatever the occasional "inconsistency."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Messiaen

Messe de la Pentecote

Livre D'Orgue

Hans-Ola Ericsson

Mirror Image

NP:

Casella
La Giara, Op. 41
Riccardo Caruso, tenor
Orchestra I.C.O. Lecce
Marco Balderi

The suite of La Giara is quite good, but it's so nice hearing the complete version of it as so much great music is always left out in these suites. Excellent performance and sound quality, too.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 07, 2022, 05:27:35 AM
Well, I happily withdraw the "chore." I posted in ignorance. Somehow, and in spite of the von Weber being (as our Jeffrey said of the Procession of Bacchus from Sylvia) corn to CRB's sickle, I had never actually heard the First Clarinet Concerto before. wonderfully dramatic!

Ah! A clarification: I had indeed heard the last movement of the von Weber f minor Concerto on CRB. So, it isn't as though the Safe-as-White-Bread Classics station has neglected it 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 07, 2022, 05:27:35 AM

Very good, Karl! Weber had a knack for clarinet music.

What is CRB, though? And which of our Jeffreys?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

NP:

Dallapiccola
Variazioni
BBC PO
Noseda

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Khachaturian Film Music. Armenian Philharmonic Orchestra.

Papy Oli

JS Bach - Cantatas BWV 81 & 14 (Gardiner)

Olivier