What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 06, 2022, 06:52:25 AM
Beethoven
Symphony No.7

Frans Brüggen
Orchestra of the 18th century.

Live 2001, Glossa

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 06, 2022, 06:18:22 AM
Beethoven
Symphony No.7

Norrington & London Classical Players

Is the Seventh a particular favourite, Olivier?

ritter

Listening to the compilation of live recordings by Suzanne Danco:

Mme. Danco's unusual voice and refined artistry are growing on me (even if I've known her since, well, ever: her recordings of Donna Anna in Don Giovanni under Krips and Cherubino in Le Nozze di Figaro under Kleiber were in my parents' collection since before I was born).

Here we get the rarity of Darius Milhaud conducting Satie's Socrate. I still haven't made up my mind as to whether this is a refined, delicate score, or just an utterly boring one.  ;D. Milhaud and Danco make a strong case for the piece (even if the work may gain from having different singers for the different "characters" —as is the case in the Dervaux recording on EMI). I'll probably revisit this sometime soon.

Then we get three long extracts from Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande, with Danco, Camille Maurane, and conducted by Inghelbrecht. Danco's Mélisande is a well-known quantity, and justly famous,as is the case of Maurane's Pelléas (I actually have both of them together, also conducted by Inghelbrecht, in a BBC broadcast on Testament). These extracts were pure delight, with everyone in great form. But what is jaw-dropping is Maurane: it's as if he were whispering in your ear, every word perfectly intelligible. Not a beautiful voice as such, but one used with supreme artistry.

The disc ends with a perfectly fine rendition of Ravel's Shéhérazade, conducted by no less than Charles Munch. I already knew Danco in this music from her famous recording under Ansermet, and must admit I prefer other singers to her in this particular piece (e.g. Heather Harper under Boulez, Christiane Karg, etc.).

In any case, an excellent CD showcasing the great talents of this versatile singer.

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Job: A Masque for Dancing
Munich SO/Douglas Bostock
- a fine, moving and deeply-felt performance (despite the generally negative reviews).
I'm fascinated to hear non-British orchestras playing Vaughan Williams and this is a particularly fine example, whatever 'Gramophone' might say:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 06, 2022, 06:43:00 AM
Thank you again, Jeffrey. Very much appreciated. I would naturally gravitate towards Kondrashin. I am not overly fussy about state of the art recordings.
I appreciate the recommendations from both contributors.
Excellent Fergus! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have. Paul Arden-Taylor has done a great job on the remastering of Kondrashin's legendary (Alto) recording (for many years the only one available). Don't forget to read the notes!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Fuchs, Robert (1847-1927) - Symphonies, Serenades, String Quartets & Piano Trios - have just ove a half dozen discs of this famous pedagogue who wrote some wonderful chamber works, my favorite pieces by him.  Dave :)

QuoteRobert Fuchs was an Austrian composer and music teacher. As Professor of music theory at the Vienna Conservatory, Fuchs taught many notable composers, while he was himself a highly regarded composer in his lifetime. ([urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fuchs]Sourc[/url]e)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphonic Novelettes, Pancho Vladigerov. Bulgaria National Radio SO.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on April 06, 2022, 07:32:39 AM
Symphonic Novelettes, Pancho Vladigerov. Bulgaria National Radio SO.

What did you think about it, Manabu? I haven't had time to explore this release yet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Harry

Fastes de la Grande Ecurie.

Lorenzo Allegri: Primo Ballo della Notte d'Amore
Michael Praetorius: Bouree d'Avignon & La Bouree
Eustache du Caurroy: Fantasie Nr. 16 aus "Requiem aeternum"
Luigi Rossi: Les Pleurs d'Orfe ayant perdu sa femme
Louis Couperin: Fantaisie sur le jeu des hautbois - Fataisie sur le mesme jeu "Couperin 1654"
Francois Roberday: Caprice
Andre Dancian Philidor: Bruit de Guerre; Marche Liegeoise; La Retraitte; Marche de timbales; La Marche Royalle; Piece a double trompette et de different ton et le gros basson; Marche Royalle a 3 dessus de hautbois pour la marche francoise; Menuet pour les trompettes; Marche des pompes funebres
Jean-Baptiste Lully: Carrousel de Monseigneur en 1686; Les Folies d'Espagne; Marche des Fusilliez; Marche du regiments du Roy
Charles Desmazures: Chaconne a 4; Pieces de Symphhonie a quatre parties
Concert des Grand houtbois pour les Chevaliers fait par Henry III; Pavane La Pietitte Guaire fait pour les Cornets en 1601; Pavane faite pour le mariage de Henry le Grand en 1600; Pavane pour les hautbois fait au sacre du roy le 17 Octobre 1610; Pavane du mariage du Roy (Louis XIII); Ballet a Cheval fait pour le grand Carousselle fait a la Place Royal pour le mariage de Louis XIII Joue par les Grand houtbois; Autre Suitte faite pour Mr. le Compte Carcours; Marche du Regiment du Prince Charles de Brandebourg.

Syntagma Amici, Giourdina, Jeremie Papasergio

This is absolute top notch, and really a no brainer if you are into this music. This falls in the category, Sublime.

An immersion into the music of the Grande Écurie, which included the stables and associated military music ensembles at the French court. The program includes music that once accompanied court ceremonies and events from Henry IV to Louis XIV. Because it also takes into account the development of instrument making, it offers the opportunity to hear the particular timbres of each era, especially the first recording of the reconstructed "Bande de Grands Hautbois" from the early
17. Century in its original instrumentation of twelve double-reed instruments.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 05, 2022, 11:37:31 PM
Ooops - hadn't scrolled back through the thread before posting about the Ogden recording.  Its NOT true to say the orchestration is NOT Walton - it is - see my reference below to the Varii Capricci - the Walton orchestration was adapted to accomodate the hybrid guitar and orchestra version of the bagatelles

Thanks for the information, RS.

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 06, 2022, 07:32:24 AM
Fuchs, Robert (1847-1927) - Symphonies, Serenades, String Quartets & Piano Trios - have just ove a half dozen discs of this famous pedagogue who wrote some wonderful chamber works, my favorite pieces by him.  Dave :)

Fuchs is simply a very good composer Dave, although not many think so. But I do not care a fig about what people and critics alike say about this music, my ears tell me otherwise. I have all those recordings you listed plus a few more.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Bax: Symphony No.6 (Munich SO/Douglas Bostock)
A far preferable account IMO than Del Mar's dreary, boxed-in and over-hyped Lyrita performance. It is only having heard performances by Bostock, Thomson and Lloyd-Jones that I could begin to understand why some think that this is Bax's greatest symphony - the CD also includes one of the best performances of 'Tintagel':

Review:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/jan99/bax.htm

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 06, 2022, 07:35:47 AM
What did you think about it, Manabu? I haven't had time to explore this release yet.

The entire set is vg and likable. A few month ago you positively mentioned Jewish Poem, and it is in the set.
The whole music in the set, including Jewish Poem, is vivacious, colorful, bright, and exotique.

aligreto

Glazunov:

La Mer
Chant du ménestrel
Meditation for Violin & Orchestra

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 06, 2022, 07:22:44 AM
Excellent Fergus! I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have. Paul Arden-Taylor has done a great job on the remastering of Kondrashin's legendary (Alto) recording (for many years the only one available). Don't forget to read the notes!  ;D

A double pleasure awaits me, Jeffrey.

vandermolen

Spotted Horses

One last pass for Roussel Symphony No 4 (Cluytens, Paris Conservatoire).

I think this work took me more time to absorb than I expected because it doesn't conform to my idea of Roussel's style, less wit, a bit more expressionism than I expect from Roussel.  Cluytens does a fine job highlighting the harmonic transitions in the first movement introduction with subtle shifts of dynamics and phrasing. Generally very satisfying despite audio which I find a little rough, in parts. A marvelous work and I think I will follow up soon with Roussel's second symphony.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 06, 2022, 08:33:11 AM
One last pass for Roussel Symphony No 4 (Cluytens, Paris Conservatoire).

I think this work took me more time to absorb than I expected because it doesn't conform to my idea of Roussel's style, less wit, a bit more expressionism than I expect from Roussel.  Cluytens does a fine job highlighting the harmonic transitions in the first movement introduction with subtle shifts of dynamics and phrasing. Generally very satisfying despite audio which I find a little rough, in parts. A marvelous work and I think I will follow up soon with Roussel's second symphony.
A nice review - I like both the 3rd and 4th symphonies.

Traverso

Bach

Die Französischen Suiten

Bob van Asperen

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on April 06, 2022, 07:55:13 AM
Fuchs is simply a very good composer Dave, although not many think so. But I do not care a fig about what people and critics alike say about this music, my ears tell me otherwise. I have all those recordings you listed plus a few more.

You're right Harry - Fuchs was well respected in his time - part of his Wiki article from my previous link below - Brahms held him in high regard - I also have several more discs and just ordered a few more (Piano Sonatas & rest of the Serenades!  8)  Dave

QuoteThe reason his compositions did not become better known was largely that he did little to promote them, living a quiet life in Vienna and refusing to arrange concerts, even when the opportunities arose. He certainly had his admirers, among them Brahms, who almost never praised the works of other composers. But with regard to Fuchs, Brahms wrote, "Fuchs is a splendid musician, everything is so fine and so skillful, so charmingly invented, that one is always pleased." Famous contemporary conductors, including Arthur Nikisch, Felix Weingartner and Hans Richter, championed his works when they had the opportunity but with few exceptions, it was his chamber music which was considered his finest work.