What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 14, 2022, 01:10:06 PM
Kodaly seems like the best current deal?  Dave :)

Yes and I thought so even when they had good competition (seems like all these box sets are going oop).  They launched me into the works and I think that they are a true joy to hear.  And the Festetics Q are a great contrast to Kodaly.

Madiel

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 14, 2022, 06:59:10 AM
Thanks Madiel & David for your thoughts on the London Haydn Quartet (LHQ); as I'm listening to them along w/ the Q. Festetics (QF) & now Q. Mosaiques (QM) in a kind of A:B comparison, I'm preferring the Quatuors period instruments and performances more - also returned to the Haydn Haus thread and searched on the LHQ - numerous posts w/ much varied opinions about the group - I was likely somewhat awed that the series was still ongoing and many of the reviews quite positive (and some dreadful such as the Classics Today reviewers - however, when Hurwitz goes that low I feel he must have eaten a bad meal -  ;D).  At any rate, I'm quite happy with the period recordings of QF and QM, so a third might not be needed in my collection - perhaps I should look for a 'modern performance'?  Thanks again - Dave :)

I don't actually own a recording of op.9 as yet, in part because there aren't many options available and some are hard to acquire on physical disc. Kodaly for modern? Otherwise you already have a couple of the groups that I know about. Did Mosaiques do op.9?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 12, 2022, 09:07:32 AM
There was considerable evolution of his style over his career, the early works being more thorny.

(Re: Henze) That's good to know. I seem to recall garnering some enjoyment from his 8th Symphony, less so the 7th.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 12, 2022, 09:33:16 AM
But which Henze are you referring to, Kyle? He was a man of many musical hats. Personally, I've enjoyed much from his pen.

Well, I guess I was referring mainly to his earlier period which produced the 2nd Symphony. What are some of your favorite works of his?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SonicMan46

Quote from: Madiel on April 14, 2022, 02:55:13 PM
I don't actually own a recording of op.9 as yet, in part because there aren't many options available and some are hard to acquire on physical disc. Kodaly for modern? Otherwise you already have a couple of the groups that I know about. Did Mosaiques do op.9?

I have 2 boxes of Q. Mosaiques and Op. 20 is their earliest recording; Op. 9 I have w/ the London HQ and the Q. Festetics, the latter would be a good choice for period instruments from your feelings about he Londerers - Dave :)

Madiel

I wish I had those Mosaiques boxes...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

foxandpeng

Alexandre Tansman
Symphony 2 À Serge Koussevitzky
Symphony 3 Sinfonia Concertante
Melbourne Symphony Orchestra
Oleg Caetani

I like these Tansman symphonies. Undemanding and accessible.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

bhodges

First time hearing Gay Guerilla (1979) by Julius Eastman, here with pianists Gilles Vonsattel and Terrence Wilson, presented by the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center. For lovers of minimalism, it's quite something.

The program, which also includes works by Jeffrey Mumford, Salina Fisher, and Clarence Barlow, is available to view (free) for 7 days.

https://www.chambermusicsociety.org/watch-and-listen/live/new-milestones-emergence-of-beauty/

--Bruce

Mapman

Mahler: Symphony #7
Leonard Bernstein: New York Philharmonic

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 12, 2022, 06:00:55 PM
Too many meetings at work today! Only had time for one disc:

Richard Arnell
Piano Concerto
Symphony no. 2
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Martin Yates

(on Qobuz)

Each piece had its moments - Arnell certainly knows how to write for the orchestra, particularly the brass! Pleasant enough music, although I found it a little faceless. I was reminded of George Lloyd in spots, William Walton in others, though without their distinctive qualities.

That's my general impression of Arnell's music as well. It's usually quite enjoyable, but in terms of distinctiveness he is no RVW, Walton, Britten, Lloyd, Arnold, Alwyn, Bax, Rubbra, etc.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 12, 2022, 07:26:47 PM
Busoni: Geharnischte Suite

Wow, why I didn't recall this fascinating suite. A sense of wizardry permeates the piece, in a way not too dissimilar to Braunfels's Hexensabbatt. A most welcome surprise.

Must admit I haven't heard this! Lately I revisited his Turandot Suite and was reminded of what a splendidly colorful work it is.

kyjo

Quote from: Madiel on April 13, 2022, 03:06:44 AM
Sibelius, String quartet in B flat, op.4

This piece somehow doesn't quite do it for me. It feels a little bit... overstuffed.

+1

kyjo

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 13, 2022, 09:00:09 AM
The PMD Strathclyde Concertos have become a regular part of my listening.

You must also enjoy taking cold showers! :laugh:

Madiel

Shostakovich op.87, Donohoe

Full opinion to come in a few hours on the relevant thread... at this stage leaning towards "it's okay".

classicalgeek

Quote from: kyjo on April 14, 2022, 05:20:10 PM
That's my general impression of Arnell's music as well. It's usually quite enjoyable, but in terms of distinctiveness he is no RVW, Walton, Britten, Lloyd, Arnold, Alwyn, Bax, Rubbra, etc.

You hit the nail on the proverbial head! As perfectly agreeable as I found his music, I would rather listen to any of the British composers you mentioned than Arnell.

TD: continuing my journey of composers unfamiliar to me:

Henk Badings
Symphony no. 4
Symphony no. 5
Bochum Symphony Orchestra
David Porcelijn

(on Qobuz)

A couple of really solid symphonies! I detect a strong influence of Hindemith, especially in the music's contrapuntal textures, but Badings can also write a fine melody. I found a lot to hold my interest and I'll definitely be exploring the other Badings symphonies on cpo.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on April 14, 2022, 03:38:01 PM
Well, I guess I was referring mainly to his earlier period which produced the 2nd Symphony. What are some of your favorite works of his?

Undine is a favorite. A gorgeous ballet. I love the 1st and 2nd Violin Concertos. The SQs are quite good. I don't know the symphonies well enough to comment. The man wrote a lot of music and, honestly, I'm still exploring much of it, but just have been dedicating much of my time to so many other composers at the moment.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on April 14, 2022, 05:29:24 PM
You must also enjoy taking cold showers! :laugh:

If there is an English composer's music I really dislike, it's the one by PMD. His symphonies are unbearably depressing to these ears, above all the No. 10. Definitely not my cup tea.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Listening yet again:

Rubbra
String Quartet No. 3, Op. 112
Sterling String Quartet

So full of melodic invention. Rubbra is slowly becoming one of my favorite English composers.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on April 14, 2022, 06:38:45 PM
If there is an English composer's music I really dislike, it's the one by PMD. His symphonies are unbearably depressing to these ears, above all the No. 10. Definitely not my cup tea.

Peter Maxwell Davies has never done anything for me and I've tried, I really have. Give me Tippett and Britten any day of the week.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2022, 06:40:19 PM
Peter Maxwell Davies has never done anything for me and I've tried, I really have. Give me Tippett and Britten any day of the week.

+1
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky