What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

QuotePleyel, Ignaz (1757-1831) - Austrian born French composer, publisher, and piano maker (along w/ his son) - nice bio HERE; a pupil of Haydn - Pleyel was a prolific composer w/ over 700 works in the Benton catalog (Rita Benton, Ignace Pleyel. A Thematic Catalogue of His Compositions. New York: Pendragon Press, 1977), including 40 Symphonies, 36 String Quintets, and 70 String Quartets!  My collection has 20 recordings mainly of the works listed in the previous sentence - don't plan to listen to all but starting w/ the ones below - also, there is a Pleyel thread for those interested w/ a LOT of recordings shown and discussed.  Dave :)

Previous Pleyel post above from earlier today - will not get through my whole collection but selected below for the end of the day; BTW, I just purchased 'on sale' from PrestoMusic the Prussian Quartets 10-12, i.e. Vol. 4, w/ the Pleyel Quartett Köln just released late last year. Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Prokofiev Symphony No. 4. Kitayenko.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2022, 01:43:51 PM
CD 84

"Papa"
Vc Cto in D, H. VIIb:2

Elgar
Vc Cto in e minor, Op. 85
Jacqueline du Pré, vc
LSO

Yup, listened to this disc again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: Operafreak on May 17, 2022, 08:21:02 PM

Concertos for Orchestra

Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Martyn Brabbins

That disc was a great discovery of mine, despite its short playing time. Really colorful and inventive music. I hope the music of these three Belgians receive more modern recordings.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Bachtoven

I just read that Toradze died May 11th at age 69. In his honor, I played Concerto No.2, which I heard him play live ages ago, but with a different conductor and orchestra. It was still electrifying.

Symphonic Addict

Three suites for cello:

Bach: Suite No. 1
Reger: Suite No. 1
Röntgen: Suite No. 2

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

Excellently played, kind of polite sounding baroque keyboard music that takes full advantage of a modern grand. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

foxandpeng

Eduard Tubin
Complete Symphonies
Symphonies 4 'Sinfonia Lirica' and 7
Arvo Volmer
Estonian NSO
Alba

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 19, 2022, 02:45:18 PM
Yup, listened to this disc again.

That was the only one you actually needed in the set! 8)

Symphonic Addict

Copland: Piano Concerto

With the very Copland on the piano it's not hard to believe that all the involved had an extraordinary moment.

Poulenc: Aubade: Concerto choréographique

Very theatrical indeed. A concerto in the form of a ballet.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Vaughan Williams: Symphony #4
Thomson: LSO

The performance is better than the cover design (who thought red text on brown was a good idea??).

Mirror Image

Beginning a traversal of the Langaard symphonies with Dausgaard at the helm --- now playing Symphony No. 1, "Klippepastoraler" (Pastorals Of The Rocks):

I really don't know Langgaard's symphonies as well as I should. A fascinating composer and I remember I preordered this set before its initial release. This set is still one of my greatest purchases.

Operafreak

Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker Suite, / Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite

Wiener Philharmoniker
    Herbert von Karajan
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Symphonic Addict

Dvorák: Symphony No. 5

Love this. Sheer bliss.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

A fine Langgaard set indeed, though my favorite 1st is this one:

A most impressive block-buster!

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 19, 2022, 07:54:02 PM
A fine Langgaard set indeed, though my favorite 1st is this one:

A most impressive block-buster!

Yep, that's a good one, too as is the Stupel on Danacord. I'd say I like Dausgaard the best as it feels more urgent and I think this particular symphony doesn't need to linger too long.

Mirror Image

Last work for the night - NP: Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition (Orch. Ravel) with Ormandy with the Philadelphians -

Que

Morning listening on Spotify:

"Fretwork explores the somewhat overlooked English musical dynasty. The grandson of an Italian immigrant family brought to England under Henry VIII's reign, Thomas Lupo (1571-1627) was a talented composer, viol player and violinist who served in the Royal Court from the age of 16 until his death. His consort music for viols demonstrates a variety of moods and musical devices, with a clear parallel in places to some of the three-part music by his friend and colleague Orlando Gibbons."

Quality of the music is a pleasant surprise, though the magnificent playing by Fretwork might play into it.  :)

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 19, 2022, 07:20:44 AM
Although Brahms is the most important composer to me, there are a few of his significant works that I seem to have been "saving" for my old age, or at least so I can look forward to discovering something new from him. Today I started on one of those bits of undiscovered territory, the late piano works.

Op 116, Paul Lewis.

Too profound to be absorbed at one sitting, but I found myself mesmerized. Just out of curiosity I listed to the first piece from the set in recordings from Wilhelm Kempff and Aldo Ciccolini. Wow, a wide range of interpretation is possible in this music. The Lewis recording is superbly performed and recorded.

Oh goodness. If you don't know the late piano music then - assuming you do like piano music - you are in for a treat. I'm a sucker for op.117 myself, but the whole collection is full of miniature masterpieces.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!