What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Now playing this entire Grieg disc with Eivind Aadland and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln on Audite:

Tuneful, fun with a bit of hint of the fantastical, this is my kind of stuff. I can see a group of elves, gnomes and fairies dancing around a small waterfall right now. :)

amw

Schubert D958/959 Paul Lewis.

I'm not sure why I always dismissed this. It's pretty good. Not revelatory, I guess, but certainly nice to listen to, with none of the usual mannerisms or excessive slowness I complain about in Schubert. I have no idea how people rate it, or why.

I wish Lewis had a slightly more springy sense of rhythm I guess; there's a bit too much expressive rubato. But that's a common flaw in piano playing that not even Schnabel or Erdmann are immune from.

Operafreak

Weill: Symphony No. 2 & Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5- Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Lahav Shani

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mapman

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 20, 2022, 03:41:02 PM

Johnnes Brahms: Symphony No.2 in D major, op.73. Marin Alsop, London Philharmonic Orchestra

I think this is my favorite Brahms symphony currently (though it's been changing with the seasons of my life, and I suspect it will continue to do so). There are just so many layers to it, and the music is so full of joy, beauty, and passion. Brahms really killed it with this one. And I think this is the best recording of it I've ever heard. It was a random record store find very early into my discovery of classical music some three years ago. Absolutely stellar performance.

I also listened to Brahms Symphony #2, with Karajan and the Berliner Philharmoniker. I think my favorite Brahms symphony is currently the 4th, although the 2nd and 3rd are close behind. This was my first recording of this symphony, but I'm not sure how much I like it. I'll try to remember to check out the Alsop at some point!

foxandpeng

Einojuhani Rautavaara
Complete Symphonies
Symphony 7 'Angel of Light'
Leif Segerstam
Helsinki PO

Saturday morning early start. Nice.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 20, 2022, 08:48:32 PM
Einojuhani Rautavaara
Complete Symphonies
Symphony 7 'Angel of Light'
Leif Segerstam
Helsinki PO

Saturday morning early start. Nice.
Very nice Danny! That and Symphony No.8 are my favourites. I discovered Rautavaara through that 'Angel of Light' Symphony.
Early morning listening here is Atterberg's 3rd Symphony 'West Coast Pictures':

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Morning listening, a new arrival:

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 20, 2022, 07:20:29 PM
Lovely, Cesar. I'll follow you, but only with this recording with Marina Tarasova and Veronika Dudarova conducting The Symphony Orchestra of Russia:

I own the CPO recording, too, but I wanted to listen to a more Russian performance before I listened to a more Western approach. I agree with you in that this is a gorgeous work. Both of these concerti are top-notch.

Those Olympia CDs must be quite hard to find nowadays. Good to know that you have them!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2022, 10:26:26 PM
Very nice Danny! That and Symphony No.8 are my favourites. I discovered Rautavaara through that 'Angel of Light' Symphony.
Early morning listening here is Atterberg's 3rd Symphony 'West Coast Pictures':

Revisiting Rautavaara recently has really cemented my longstanding appreciation for him and his sound world. Major composer for me. As for the Atterberg, he has slipped under my radar completely so far. I'm taking a laid back approach to my 'to do' list and enjoying my music more than ever, but I do have an impossibly long number of projects ahead. Atterberg looks worth exploring!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Madiel

Dvorak, Vanda (or "Wanda" in German) - Act One.

Sadly, no English libretto. Whereas King and Collier from the same series of Orfeo albums has it in German, Czech, English and French, the booklet for this one seems to just have Czech, with only synopses in the other languages. Possibly because of the length of the opera.

Still, it's reasonably attractive music. Even just listening to it, it's evident that this is Dvorak's crack at "grand opera" (Meyerbeer gets mentioned in the booklet). There are 5 Acts (with the first much the longest), and a plot chosen for its Slavic theme (spolier for last 2 Acts: legendary Polish pagan princess defeats Christianised Germans by promising the gods she'll throw herself in the river).

The other 4 Acts might or might not be listened to tonight, depending on how many breaks I need from Australian election coverage...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 20, 2022, 11:48:23 PM
Revisiting Rautavaara recently has really cemented my longstanding appreciation for him and his sound world. Major composer for me. As for the Atterberg, he has slipped under my radar completely so far. I'm taking a laid back approach to my 'to do' list and enjoying my music more than ever, but I do have an impossibly long number of projects ahead. Atterberg looks worth exploring!
I think that you'd like Atterberg Danny - at least his symphonies 2,3 'West Coast Pictures', 5 'Funebre' and 8 (beautiful slow movement).
TD
Stephen Paulus 'Grand Concerto for Organ and Orchestra' - I love this work and find it very moving:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Shostakovich: String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2
Brodsky Quartet

vandermolen

Hendrik Andriessen: Symphony No.3 (1946)
A powerful, memorable and brooding work, not dissimilar in spirit to Vaughan Williams's contemporaneous 6th Symphony.
I owe my discovery of this fine work to the generosity of Johan (Christo) of this forum.

Harry

Josquin Desprez.

Tant vous aime.

Si Je Perdoys Mon Amy; Vivraije Toujours; Bergerette Savoysienne; A L'Ombre D'Ung Buissonnett; Qui Belles Amours; A L'Heure; Petite Camusette; Tant Vous Aime; Belle Pour L'Amour De Vous; Que Vous Madame; El Grillo; In Te, Domine, Speravi; Scaramelle Va Alla Guerra; Ma Bouche Rit; Une Jeune Fillette.

Doulce Memoire, Denis Raisin Dadre

This is really good, I enjoyed it immensely.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Operafreak

Sibelius: Kullervo, Op. 7

Lilli Paasikivi (mezzo soprano), Raimo Laukka (baritone)- Lahti Symphony Orchestra, Helsinki University Chorus, Osmo Vänskä
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Papy Oli

Olivier

VonStupp

For this morning:

Sergei Prokofiev
Sonata for Cello and Piano, op. 119
Sonata for Solo Cello, op. 134 (Blok)

Alexander Ivashkin, cello
Tatyana Lazareva, piano

New to me:

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on May 21, 2022, 01:41:58 AM
Josquin Desprez.

Tant vous aime.

Si Je Perdoys Mon Amy; Vivraije Toujours; Bergerette Savoysienne; A L'Ombre D'Ung Buissonnett; Qui Belles Amours; A L'Heure; Petite Camusette; Tant Vous Aime; Belle Pour L'Amour De Vous; Que Vous Madame; El Grillo; In Te, Domine, Speravi; Scaramelle Va Alla Guerra; Ma Bouche Rit; Une Jeune Fillette.

Doulce Memoire, Denis Raisin Dadre

This is really good, I enjoyed this immensely.

Ah, I was looking forward for this to be released, I shall try to hear it later.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

One of Naxos' free downloads earlier this month:

Olivier

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν