What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 21, 2022, 03:20:39 AM
One of Naxos' free downloads earlier this month:

I should check that out. I like Antoni Wit as a conductor.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

steve ridgway

Quote from: ultralinear on May 21, 2022, 05:09:14 AM

Holst The Planets (version for 2 pianos)

Funnily enough I thought it about time I tried it again and have just started on this one.

Operafreak

Wilhelm Stenhammar: Symphony No. 2
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vers la flamme

Ludwig van Beethoven: String Quartet No.7 in F major, op.59 no.1, first of the "Razumovsky" quartets. Guarneri Quartet

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 20, 2022, 11:04:43 PM
Those Olympia CDs must be quite hard to find nowadays. Good to know that you have them!

Difficult to find, indeed, but also rather expensive when you do find them. The most difficult recordings to come by were the Requiem and Colas Breugnon --- both of which were 2-CD sets.

Mirror Image

Reaching the end of my Guarnieri symphony journey with the 6th:

steve ridgway

The Planets wasn't bad actually, having gritted my teeth through Jupiter which I've never liked it became quite listenable again.

Iota

Hindemith: Piano Sonata No. 3 in B-Flat Major
Maurizio Paciariello (piano)

Glad that this sonata has finally come into the light for me (hot on the heels of No.1). There's a seam of individuality running through it, manifesting a certain obsessiveness at times and musically very arresting. Paciarello is no mean purveyor of its contents, confronted with often intricate and virtuosic demands.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on May 21, 2022, 06:22:36 AM

Hindemith: Piano Sonata No. 3 in B-Flat Major
Maurizio Paciariello (piano)

Glad that this sonata has finally come into the light for me (hot on the heels of No.1). There's a seam of individuality running through it, manifesting a certain obsessiveness at times and musically very arresting. Paciarello is no mean purveyor of its contents, confronted with often intricate and virtuosic demands.

Nice! I love the Hindemith piano sonatas.

Iota

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2022, 06:23:24 AM
Nice! I love the Hindemith piano sonatas.

I'm beginning to as well, but for quite some while I couldn't find my way into them at all, which has changed only recently. Still No.2 to put under the new scrutiny, but if things really do happen in threes it should be a shoo-in.  ;D

Todd

Quote from: amw on May 20, 2022, 08:28:41 PM
Schubert D958/959 Paul Lewis.

I'm not sure why I always dismissed this. It's pretty good. Not revelatory, I guess, but certainly nice to listen to, with none of the usual mannerisms or excessive slowness I complain about in Schubert. I have no idea how people rate it, or why.

I wish Lewis had a slightly more springy sense of rhythm I guess; there's a bit too much expressive rubato. But that's a common flaw in piano playing that not even Schnabel or Erdmann are immune from.

I find Lewis better in Schubert than in Beethoven, and he's better in person than on disc, with some of your observations improved upon.  I heard him play the last three sonatas in person a few years back, and it was definitely better than on disc.  I just missed a chance to hear him play some other Schubert in person, but I passed since I am still not keen on sitting in confined spaces with large crowds of people for extended periods. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Now playing Vasks Concerto per corno ingelse ed orchestra with Normunds Šne (cor anglais/conductor) with Sinfonietta Riga:

Todd

Disc two equivalent, some Leonel Power.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Manolis Kalomiris SY3.  Fidetzis/Athens State.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 21, 2022, 05:20:07 AM
Funnily enough I thought it about time I tried it again and have just started on this one.

Wow, cool cover art!

Karl Henning

CD 86

Brahms
Pf Cto № 1 in d minor, Op. 15
Daniel Barenboim

I'm out of touch with the Op. 15, apparently: at first, I wondered if 52 minutes was unusually long, but of course not.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Poulenc, Francis (1899-1963) - Chamber Works, 5-disc box in my collection; also own the Pascal Rogé box of piano and some chamber works, but just setup a Spotify playlist w/ Antony Gray doing the 'Complete Music for Solo Piano' which takes 5 CDs!  Appears to be OOP but offered at Amazon USA at an inflated price!  Left a post in the Poulenc thread and would be curious about others' thoughts on Gray and whether a physical set can be obtained at a decent price?  Dave :)

JBS

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 21, 2022, 08:30:25 AM
Poulenc, Francis (1899-1963) - Chamber Works, 5-disc box in my collection; also own the Pascal Rogé box of piano and some chamber works, but just setup a Spotify playlist w/ Antony Gray doing the 'Complete Music for Solo Piano' which takes 5 CDs!  Appears to be OOP but offered at Amazon USA at an inflated price!  Left a post in the Poulenc thread and would be curious about others' thoughts on Gray and whether a physical set can be obtained at a decent price?  Dave :)

The Naxos set has just been re-issued, but doesn't seem to be listed on Amazon. Presto listing here
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9313127--francis-poulenc-complete-chamber-music

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SonicMan46

Quote from: JBS on May 21, 2022, 08:36:14 AM
The Naxos set has just been re-issued, but doesn't seem to be listed on Amazon. Presto listing here
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9313127--francis-poulenc-complete-chamber-music

Well, on Amazon USA, the top Poulenc 'hit' is the first pic below, 5-discs which appear virtually identical to the ones in my box (second pic) - so already own that collection and I doubt that Naxos did any re-mastering?  NOW, the Antony Gray piano box is what interests me the most (would I cull out my Rogé after owning for so many years?  Not sure but I'm enjoying my first Spotify listening.  Dave :)