Quote from: VonStupp on May 22, 2022, 08:58:35 AM
Sergei Prokofiev

String Quartet 1 in b minor, op. 50
Sonata for Two Violins in C major, op. 56
String Quartet 2 in F major 'Kabardinian', op. 92

Pavel Haas Quartet

For a post-midday repast listening.

VS

Perhaps the heaviest violin duo I have heard, but the sonata was new to me too.

PHQ really leap at this music! The SQ's were dynamite.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

foxandpeng

Quote from: kyjo on May 22, 2022, 09:16:07 AM
Now that's an understatement if there ever was one! 8)

Thankfully, I have you lovely people to help educate me 🙂

Thread:

Peteris Vasks
Concerto for Viola and String Orchestra
String Symphony 'Voices'
Maxim Rysanov
Sinfonietta Riga
BIS

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mapman

I was in the car for a while today. Here are some highlights:

For Wagner's Birthday, Die Walküre, Act 1. Weigle/Der Frankfurter Ring

And some new purchases:
Telemann: Tafelmusik extracts
Güttler: Virtuiosi Saxoniae

Handel: Musick For The Royal Fireworks (original scoring)
The King's Consort

Mirror Image

Now playing entire Martinů recording:

One of my favorite Martinů recordings.

Que

Morning listening on Spotify:

Operafreak

Grieg: Peer Gynt, incidental music, Op. 23,Grieg: Sigurd Jorsalfar Op. 22

Barbara Bonney, Marianne Eklöf, Urban Malmberg & Carl Gustaf Holmgren

Ohlin Vocal Ensemble & Pro Musica Chamber Choir, Neeme Järvi
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 22, 2022, 09:15:09 AM
How does Jarvi's Atterberg 3rd compare to Ehrling's and Rasilainen's, Jeffrey?
Kyle - I remember thinking that the Ehrling is very special but I have been greatly enjoying the Jarvi. I'll listen to the Rasilainen again when my Atterberg boxed set arrives!  ::) The opening of the Ehrling performance has a wonderful poetry about it.

TD
Poulenc: Organ Concerto
In Memoriam Simon Preston

Added later - I'm now on to the Cesar Franck symphony which I haven't heard in a long time - I have always liked it. It clearly had a big influence on early Miaskovsky (especially the 3rd Symphony).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Operafreak

Debussy: Pelléas et Mélisande Suite & Schoenberg: Pelléas & Mélisande- Orchestre de La Suisse Romande, Jonathan Nott

vers la flamme

Pēteris Vasks: Symphony No.1, "Voices". Ivan Repušić, Münchner Rundfunkorchester

This disc has been a good introduction to the composer. It all sounds good. Reminds me quite a bit of the other famous contemporary Baltic composer, Arvo Pärt.

vandermolen

Holst 'The Perfect Fool' (ballet music - magical), Beni-Mora (hypnotic) and the Planets (great performance)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Quote from: Bachtoven on May 22, 2022, 02:42:46 PM

Oof, good luck with that! You may be still listening to it for all I know... ;)

TD:

Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust
Sabbatini (Faust), Shkosa (Marguerite), Pertusi (Mephistopholes), Wilson-Johnson (Brander)
London Symphony Chorus
London SO/C.Davis

Finally getting round to one of the three different Faust operas I got recently. I think I now have six in total. Berlioz, Mahler, Liszt, Gounod, Schumann and Schnittke.

Harry

Johann Christian Bach.

Piano concertos, opus 13, 4-6 & opus 14, in E flat major.

Anthony Halstead, Forte piano and Direction.
The Hanover Band.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Woldemar Bargiel.

Complete Piano Trios, Volume II.

Opus 6, opus 38 & opus 10.

Trio Parnassus.

The opus 38 was originally for Cello and Orchestra, but a piano version was made by the composer himself. Bargiel' s chamber music belongs to me to the top of this genre, and am always very happy to return to this music, certainly when the last time I heard them was in 2007.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Mirror Image

Finishing up Prokofiev Cinderella with Rozhdestvensky and the USSR Ministry of Culture SO from the several mornings ago:

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2022, 03:07:15 AM

Pēteris Vasks: Symphony No.1, "Voices". Ivan Repušić, Münchner Rundfunkorchester

This disc has been a good introduction to the composer. It all sounds good. Reminds me quite a bit of the other famous contemporary Baltic composer, Arvo Pärt.

There is so much Vasks I like that it wasn't until I played this for the first time last night that I found music he wrote that I wasn't very keen on.

And not being very keen on, I simply mean the earlier music (written in a more actively avant-garde mode) didn't catch me the way his later works do. But there is still much of interest in it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Operafreak

Brahms: Violin Sonatas Nos. 1-3-  Renaud Capucon (violin) & Nicholas Angelich (piano)

foxandpeng

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2022, 03:07:15 AM

I've made no secret of how much I have come to love Vasks, and all of these works are top class. I don't know Pärt well enough to make a comparison, but I obviously need to.

Thread:

Alfred Schnittke
Complete Works for String Quartet
SQ 1
Kronos Quartet

Hm. Maybe not the right choice after pondering Vasks. Different sound world entirely. Might go better after some Pettersson or Peter Maxwell Davies?
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy