What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner, JBS, Linz and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

The Choros for Cello and Orchestra is easily the best thing on this CD, and a great cello concerto that deserves much more recognition

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

A small-scaled, live Emperor with what seems like no patch sessions.  Decent but not great.  Hopefully Kim can rerecord the work in a studio setting
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Quote from: absolutelybaching on May 24, 2022, 11:31:13 AM
William Alwyn's Lyra Angelica Concerto
    David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Suzanne Willison (harp)

Excellent disc.

Mandryka

This all started when I listened to Robert Simpson's edition of Bach's Art of Fugue. I thought I'd check out the composer on wiki -- I knew the name but other than that I hadn't heard anything by him and I'd never investigated his life or his ideas. Wiki said something which caught my attention: that he wrote a quartet based on things he found in Beethoven's Op 59s. So here I am listening to one of them.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2022, 08:50:50 PM
Last work for the night Ben-Haim Symphony No. 1 with Israel Yinon conducting the NDR Radiophilharmonie Hannover:

Pounds the table! What a great symphony.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 24, 2022, 10:22:41 AM

Camille Saint-Saëns: Piano Trio No.1 in F major, op.18. Nash Ensemble

This was a random Goodwill find from today. How have I never heard this work before? It's a gem! Excellent writing for all voices. Very sunny and melodic. So glad I've discovered this work. This is also my first time listening to the Nash Ensemble. They sound great. I'll have to hear more.

Oh yes, Saint-Saëns' two piano trios are two of most brilliant gems of the repertoire. The virtuosic and dramatic 2nd trio provides the perfect foil to the sunny and insouciant 1st. The Trio Wanderer recordings on Harmonia Mundi are superb!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: JBS on May 24, 2022, 11:14:26 AM

The Choros for Cello and Orchestra is easily the best thing on this CD, and a great cello concerto that deserves much more recognition

That's great to hear! I look forward to listening to it.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mandryka on May 24, 2022, 11:53:28 AM

This all started when I listened to Robert Simpson's edition of Bach's Art of Fugue. I thought I'd check out the composer on wiki -- I knew the name but other than that I hadn't heard anything by him and I'd never investigated his life or his ideas. Wiki said something which caught my attention: that he wrote a quartet based on things he found in Beethoven's Op 59s. So here I am listening to one of them.

I have come to value Simpson's symphonies very highly, and listen to them often with much benefit, but confess to not to have explored the SQs. They are reported to be more challenging than the symphonies. Another one on the list 🙂.  Hope you enjoyed!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2022, 07:11:39 AM
8) Glad you enjoy it as well, Jeffrey. I also like the Svetlanov recording a lot.
Svetlanov is always good in that repertoire.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

William Byrd: The Great Service. Andrew Carwood, The Cardinall's Musick

Excellent performance of a beautiful work.

Symphonic Addict

Wirén: Symphony No. 4

At first I hadn't appreciated this symphony, but with subsequent listens it has grown on me. Even though it seems to share some features with Sibelius and Nielsen's style, this music has distinctiveness and purpose.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 24, 2022, 06:08:47 AM
CDs 90 & 91

Verdi
Requiem

Delius
Appalachia

On one hand, I find I am somehow still Delius-shy.
On t'other, I can report that I enjoyed Appalachia
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 24, 2022, 12:23:09 PM
Pounds the table! What a great symphony.

I certainly enjoyed it, Kyle. I have to thank Jeffrey (Vandermolen) for turning me onto Ben-Haim's music. I was already into Bloch (and many other Jewish composers) before joining this forum, though. ;)

Daverz

Have listened to several recordings of Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra over the last couple days:

If I didn't share walls with neighbors, I think I'd be able to crank the Dohnanyi up sufficiently that I could enjoy it more.  The other recordings were more living room friendly.  The Ozawa is a vivid analog recording with the Chicago Symphony, and I think that would be my pick of these 3.

Also listened to the Piano Concerto

A sexy, jazzy work that has become one of my favorite Lutoslawski works.  Poblocka is a fine pianist, and the recording is very vivid.

And now, Symphony No. 1:

I love these old Sony recordings made in L.A.

Mirror Image

Now playing Liszt Ballades Nos. 1 & 2 from the Leslie Howard Hyperion set:

bhodges

Quote from: Daverz on May 24, 2022, 04:05:16 PM
Have listened to several recordings of Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra over the last couple days:

If I didn't share walls with neighbors, I think I'd be able to crank the Dohnanyi up sufficiently that I could enjoy it more.  The other recordings were more living room friendly.  The Ozawa is a vivid analog recording with the Chicago Symphony, and I think that would be my pick of these 3.

Love the piece, and the Dohnanyi recording is one of my faves. I've not heard Wit or Ozawa (yet), but can imagine both are excellent. And if you're not totally maxed out on the piece, the Frankfurt Radio Symphony has not one, but two performances on its YouTube channel, with two different conductors:

Krzysztof Urbański
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwCIK7uENM

Edward Gardner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQ1fgmUIPY

--Bruce

JBS

Just finished: some well played Beethoven.
Not necessarily top tier, but nothing to tut-tut about

CD 22 of

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Now playing Britten Simple Symphony (version for string quartet) with the Emperor Quartet on BIS:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on May 24, 2022, 04:05:16 PM

Also listened to the Piano Concerto

A sexy, jazzy work that has become one of my favorite Lutoslawski works.  Poblocka is a fine pianist, and the recording is very vivid.

And now, Symphony No. 1:

I love these old Sony recordings made in L.A.

Someone is having quite the Lutosławski marathon isn't he? ;) I love this composer and there's not a time that goes by when listening his to music that I'm not in awe. One of my favorite post-WWII composers. Oh and I'm agreement with you about the Ozawa. I think it's the finest Concerto for Orchestra I've heard.

Operafreak

Bach, J S: The Art of Fugue, BWV1080- Emerson String Quartet
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.