What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

More (very) ancient Spanish music: No. 167 of the Cantigas de Santa María, "Quen quer que na Virgen fia" or "La Mora de Borja" (by, or collected by, King Alphonse X "the Wise")

https://www.youtube.com/v/sy9fCcbLBbQ
This brings back fond memories, as I got to know this version on LP (two discs with a selection of the Cantigas were included in a lavish facsimile edition --of the El Escorial manuscript-- that was in my parents' library). The performance is by Música Ibérica de Holanda led by Nelly van Ree Bernard (a rather interesting character, who lived many years in Barcelona --but also in India-- and was mainly an instrument builder AFAIK).   The set was reissued on CD (with a 112-page book, in the Monumentos Históricos de la Música Española series I mentioned in this same thread some days ago)) years later, and is still available, so I might get it (Madrid's yearly book fair starts on Friday, and the stand of the Education Ministry is sure to still have copies on sale).

Mirror Image

Now playing Liszt Dante Symphony, S. 109 with Masur and the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig:

Great stuff! I haven't heard any of Liszt's orchestral works in ages. Masur and his Gewandhaus forces are more than up to the task.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Now playing Liszt Piano Sonata in B Minor, S 178 with Krystian Zimerman from this 2-CD set:

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on May 25, 2022, 06:18:19 AM

Act I
Nice! I saw the opera onstage decades ago (with Fiorenza Cossotto). That recoding you're listening seems interesting (but the presence of Gianni Poggi is off-putting to me -- I've found him simply dreadful in other operas).

Did you know that the great Wagner himself wrote a series of transcriptions from La Favorite for two violins?  ;D Available on an Oehms CD. 

Good afternoon, Andrei!

Tsaraslondon

Karajan is always at his best in the music of Strauss and this is no exception.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Mirror Image

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 25, 2022, 06:30:53 AM

Karajan is always at his best in the music of Strauss and this is no exception.

Pounds the table! I agree!

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on May 25, 2022, 06:30:34 AM
Nice! I saw the opera onstage decades ago (with Fiorenza Cossotto). That recoding you're listening seems interesting (but the presence of Gianni Poggi is off-putting to me -- I've found him simply dreadful in other operas).

It's the first time I hear Poggi singing and I don't find anything objectionable.

QuoteDid you know that the great Wagner himself wrote a series of transcriptions from La Favorite for two violins?  ;D Available on an Oehms CD.

I didn't know. Any idea whay he did that?

QuoteGood afternoon, Andrei!

'Afternoon, rafael.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Sibelius' Piano Quintet in G minor.

The first movement is epic. Removing this from the list of opus numbers was a mistake, Jean.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 25, 2022, 06:56:07 AM
Sibelius' Piano Quintet in G minor.

The first movement is epic. Removing this from the list of opus numbers was a mistake, Jean.

A fine work, indeed. I don't pay any attention to Sibelius opus numbers, tbh. They're rather meaningless because he wasn't diligent about keeping up with them in any way. The same holds true with Bartók and Dvořák.

Karl Henning

CD 92

Puccini
Turandot excerpts

I've never been mad about Pooch, and now I may have reached a stage where I actively prefer it when he's a component of a movie plot and/or soundtrack ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Operafreak

Bach, J S: Goldberg Variations, BWV988

Beatrice Rana (piano)
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2022, 06:58:40 AM
A fine work, indeed. I don't pay any attention to Sibelius opus numbers, tbh. They're rather meaningless because he wasn't diligent about keeping up with them in any way. The same holds true with Bartók and Dvořák.

The problem is not so much a lack of diligence as repeated decisions to erase early works and plug the gaps with later ones (rather than shuffling everything down). Once you get past that the numbers make way more sense. From about 35-40 onwards they're pretty accurate as to sequence.

As for Dvorak, he was in fact EXTREMELY diligent. He was exceptionally meticulous about recording when he started and completed compositions. The problem is entirely due to his publisher Simrock, who ignored Dvorak's own numbering so that he could pass off older compositions as brand new ones. I actually find it rather sad that Dvorak's own numbering hasn't been restored.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 25, 2022, 07:24:48 AM
The problem is not so much a lack of diligence as repeated decisions to erase early works and plug the gaps with later ones. Once you get past that the numbers make way more sense.

As for Dvorak, he was in fact EXTREMELY diligent. He was exceptionally meticulous about recording when he started and completed compositions. The problem is entirely due to his publisher Simrock, who ignored Dvorak's own numbering so that he could pass of older compositions as brand new ones.

Ah, I didn't know that about Dvořák. That's interesting.

Mirror Image

Now playing Mahler 6th from this Solti CSO set:

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on May 25, 2022, 06:35:06 AM
It's the first time I hear Poggi singing and I don't find anything objectionable.
It's his tone I find unpleasant...nasal, whinish...but YMMV
I didn't know. Any idea why he did that?
For the money, I presume.  :D AFAIK, it's from the days when Wagner was "down and out in Paris".

Here's the overture (the whole thing can be found on YouTube):

https://www.youtube.com/v/NeS1qYQaKa0

Un abrazo,

DavidW

SQs Op 59 #1-2 Belcea performed with precision and loads of dynamics.  Kind of reminds me of Julliard!  Will be listening to more later.

And the wonderful Schubert PT #2 performed by my favorite piano trio, Florestan.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2022, 07:46:01 AM
Now playing Mahler 6th from this Solti CSO set:

Pounds the table, both for the composition and for the recording.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 25, 2022, 08:12:43 AM
Pounds the table, both for the composition and for the recording.

Yep, it's a good one, indeed.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 24, 2022, 09:50:58 PM
That's my favourite Wiren symphony Cesar and a fine old recording of it.

I can see why, Jeffrey. I was very impressed.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky