What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Now playing Tippett Concerto for Double String Orchestra with Marriner and Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields from this set:

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on May 24, 2022, 06:16:00 PM
Love the piece, and the Dohnanyi recording is one of my faves. I've not heard Wit or Ozawa (yet), but can imagine both are excellent. And if you're not totally maxed out on the piece, the Frankfurt Radio Symphony has not one, but two performances on its YouTube channel, with two different conductors:

Krzysztof Urbański
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwCIK7uENM

Edward Gardner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQ1fgmUIPY

--Bruce

The Ozawa is a knock-out of a performance. Warmly recommended from me too.

I've also watched the Gardner on YouTube. A stirring performance. What a piece!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

This time I'll choose the Solti box-set too....

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.3

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 25, 2022, 11:12:02 AM
This time I'll choose the Solti box-set too....

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.3

Lovely, Ilaria. I also like Solti's 3rd with the LSO. Have you heard this one?

SonicMan46

Raff, Joachim (1822-1882) - Chamber Works; short bio below; another forgotten 19th century composer but I have nearly 20 CDs of his works (a third being the 6-disc box of piano works w/ Tra Nguyen); much more at his website HERE, and there is a short thread under his name in the forum.  Dave :)

QuoteJoachim Raff was a German composer and teacher, greatly celebrated in his lifetime but nearly forgotten in the late 20th century. Raff became a schoolteacher in 1840 and taught himself the piano, violin, and composition. After early compositional efforts influenced by Felix Mendelssohn and Robert Schumann, he joined ranks with the new German school of Franz Liszt and Richard Wagner, and from 1850 to 1856 he was Liszt's assistant in Weimar. Raff was a piano teacher in Wiesbaden from 1856 to 1877. Composing in almost every genre, Raff was extremely prolific and was commonly regarded by his contemporaries as the peer of Johannes Brahms and Wagner. From 1877 until his death he was the highly esteemed director of the Hoch Conservatory in Frankfurt. Raff produced 11 symphonies, concerti for various instruments, operas, choral and chamber music, and piano works. (Source)

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2022, 11:16:39 AM
Lovely, Ilaria. I also like Solti's 3rd with the LSO. Have you heard this one?

Such a nice cover!
Anyway, yes, sure; unfortunately I haven't got the CD, but I've listened to it on youtube. I also appreciate the Solti/LSO recordings of Mahler's symphonies No.1, 2 & 9 very much. But is there the complete box set or Solti only recorded one with the CSO? If I'm not wrong there isn't....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Stephen Paulus: Grand Concerto for Organ and Orchestra. An inspiriting and moving work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Nearly all of the named sonatas.  Levit is incredible in Beethoven!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 25, 2022, 12:31:54 PM
Such a nice cover!
Anyway, yes, sure; unfortunately I haven't got the CD, but I've listened to it on youtube. I also appreciate the Solti/LSO recordings of Mahler's symphonies No.1, 2 & 9 very much. But is there the complete box set or Solti only recorded one with the CSO? If I'm not wrong there isn't....

Solti only recorded the complete Mahler symphonies once with the CSO. He only recorded the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 9th with the LSO. There isn't a box set that collects his Mahler LSO recordings, but I bought them as a mixture of Decca Eloquence and Decca Originals. He's great in Mahler, but I understand that many do like his manic way with the composer and the same applies to his Strauss, which is unbelievably good.

Mirror Image

Now playing Villa-Lobos Harp Concerto with Susanna Mildonian and Eduardo Mata and the Nouvel Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio-France:

One of two performances of this concerto issued on CD. I think there's some other ones on older LPs, but they've never been reissued. It's a beautiful work. Written in the early 1950s, it is certainly a late V-L work (he died in 1959). Thankfully, it gets a fine performance here, but I think a more modern recording would do even more wonders for it.

Mirror Image

Now playing Stravinsky The Firebird (original 1910 version) with Boulez conducting the New York Philharmonic:

Symphonic Addict

Larsson: The Winter's Tale

Simply lovely and sunny music. The Epilogue, on the other hand, is quite melancholic to the point of being rather moving to me.

Milhaud: String Quartet No. 2

More sparkling music. This Milhaud cycle is just outstanding.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Luigi Dallapiccola
*Partita
%Dialoghi
*4 Liriche di Antonio Machado
Three Questions with Two Answers
*Gillian Keith, soprano
%Paul Watkins, cello
BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
Gianandrea Noseda

(on Spotify)

A fascinating composer with at least two distinct styles: a sort of modal, pastoral mode, and an angular, atonal, almost Webernian austerity.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Now playing Stravinsky Pétrouchka with Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic from this set:

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 25, 2022, 02:34:39 PM
Luigi Dallapiccola
*Partita
%Dialoghi
*4 Liriche di Antonio Machado
Three Questions with Two Answers
*Gillian Keith, soprano
%Paul Watkins, cello
BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
Gianandrea Noseda

(on Spotify)

A fascinating composer with at least two distinct styles: a sort of modal, pastoral mode, and an angular, atonal, almost Webernian austerity.

Love that disc!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

I see some Mahler talk on this page, makes me want to listen to a bit of Mahler...:

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.7 in E minor. Claudio Abbado, Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Haven't listened to any Mahler in ages, it feels like. One of my favorite composers for quite some time, though I feel I've burned myself out on his music somewhat. Anyway, this is a very good recording from an excellent orchestra.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

classicalgeek

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 25, 2022, 02:42:53 PM
Love that disc!

It's really interesting music - and I see Chandos has two more Dallapicciola/Noseda discs!

TD:
Prokofiev
Piano concerto no. 1
Piano concerto no. 2
Vladimir Krainev, piano
Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra
Dmitri Kitajenko

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Now playing Stravinsky Le sacre du printemps with Markevitch conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra:

Mapman

Dvořák: Symphony #5
Rowicki: LSO