What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2022, 07:14:20 PM
The sonatas for clarinet and oboe are some of my favorite Poulenc. I wish he had composed some string quartets as I think he would've worked his magic with this medium.

He did compose 2 of them, but he destroyed them. He seems to have been particularly harsh on his own chamber music.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Sibelius, String quartet in B flat, op.4

EDIT: I am liking this piece rather more this time around. There appear to be only 2 recordings of it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: kyjo on May 25, 2022, 07:16:51 PM
Poulenc: Les Animaux modeles (complete ballet)

One of the only complete recordings of this, one of the most gorgeous and shamefully neglected ballets in the repertoire. Full of contrast, color, great tunes, and no lack of drama, this is truly a must-hear for all Poulencians (and others)!

Stefano Bollani is a (excellent) jazz player!

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2022, 07:14:20 PM
I wish he had composed some string quartets as I think he would've worked his magic with this medium.

I couldn't agree more, John. Some piano trios/quartets/quintets from his would've also been wonderful! I think Poulenc professed a dislike of writing for string instruments at one point in his career, so I can only be eternally grateful he did compose his sonatas for cello and violin, which are among my very favorite works in both forms.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Madiel on May 25, 2022, 07:20:40 PM
He did compose 2 of them, but he destroyed them. He seems to have been particularly harsh on his own chamber music.

Truly tragic to hear.... :( But who knows, maybe they'll turn up in the dark, dusty corners of some archive somewhere....
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 25, 2022, 07:20:40 PM

Ah, thanks. It seems now that you mentioned this that I did read this somewhere. What a shame. :-\

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 25, 2022, 06:32:57 PM
As Karl would say, Nice! 8)

Quite so, actually! Two of my favorite symphonies by both gents.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Now playing two back-to-back performances of Appalachian Spring in two arrangements from the composer --- the original chamber ensemble and full orchestra versions:

From these recordings -

An American masterpiece!

Madiel

Sibelius, The Watersprite

Yeah, okay. In this case Sibelius' decision to remove this from the opus list is understandable. It's charming as anything, but very slight and an isolated piece of stage music done for his teacher.  But... it's charming as anything.

Operafreak

Copland: Billy The Kid & Rodeo and Grofé: Grand Canyon Suite- Morton Gould and His Orchestra
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mirror Image

Last work for the night Sibelius The Wood Nymph, Op. 15 with Vänskä conducting the Lahti Symphony Orchestra from this set:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Operafreak on May 25, 2022, 08:36:06 PM

Copland: Billy The Kid & Rodeo and Grofé: Grand Canyon Suite- Morton Gould and His Orchestra

Great stuff!

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 25, 2022, 07:37:41 PM
Englund: Piano Trio

I forgot mentioning, a formidable work. For lovers of, say, Bartók and Klami, is a must-hear. A work of notable vitality and masterful writing.

Noam Chomsky

Que

Operafreak

Mahler: Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'

Chen Reiss (soprano), Karen Cargill (mezzo-soprano)

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra & Netherlands Radio Choir, Daniele Gatti

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vandermolen

John Kinsella: Symphony No.6
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Operafreak on May 25, 2022, 08:36:06 PM

A very nice CD. My first encounter with Vaughan Williams's music was an LP featuring Morton Gould and his Orchestra.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2022, 12:05:25 AM
John Kinsella: Symphony No.6

John Kinsella, Symphony No. 7 (1999) on the same CD:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948