What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2022, 08:38:09 PM
Last work for the night Sibelius The Wood Nymph, Op. 15 with Vänskä conducting the Lahti Symphony Orchestra from this set:

I will be listening to the Sibelius Edition Tone Poems for most of today, I think. I dipped in and out yesterday with The Wood Nymph, Night Ride and Sunrise, Barden and Tapiola, so thought today would be a good chance to play the whole collection.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on May 25, 2022, 06:23:25 PM
And that opera (in a touring Met production) was one of my least favorite nights at the opera: advertised with Pavarotti as the tenor, only to be told at the last minute that James Alexander would be substituting due to "illness"*, and finding the soprano to be a Slavic lady who in both height and width was bigger than Alexander (perhaps she had been cast with Pavarotti's dimensions in mind, although Alexander was not a small man) and who seemed to think standing stock still front center stage while shrilling at the audience supplied any acting needs.

*a considerable segment of the audience had cynically expected this, thinking Atlanta was not big enough for his ego.

Ouch! Nightmare!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Operafreak

Biber: The Rosary Sonatas

John Holloway (violin), Davitt Moroney (chamber organ & harpsichord)), Stephen Stubbs (lute/chitarrone), Andrew Lawrence-King (harp/regal), Erin Headley (gamba/lirone)

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 26, 2022, 12:55:15 AM
John Kinsella, Symphony No. 7 (1999) on the same CD:

I think that you are right about No.7 Johan - I now think that it is one of the greatest of the Kinsella symphonies (with No.3). The odd thing is that I had this oddly haunting choral phrase (a bit minimalist and also like the end of 'Neptune' from the Planets) running through my head and I couldn't work out where it came from and then, just now, I realised that it's at the end of Kinsella's 7th Symphony!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Sibeilus: Overture in E, Scene de Ballet

Originally the first 2 movements of a projected symphony. Though frankly the music never sounds very 'symphonic' to me. The Overture in particular tends to sound to me like an old film score.

At this point in his career Sibelius seems to be liking a really big, grand sound with a heck of a lot of notes. The piano quintet (1890), the op.4 string quartet (1890), and these 2 works/movements (1891) all tend that way. There are turns of harmony here, though, that definitely sound like the music he's heading for.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Tsaraslondon

The Strauss has a rather complicated recording history and it wasn't actually discovered until the 1990s. Klemperer was supposed to have conducted, but rather tired and Don Quixote not being a particular favourite of his, he withdrew after the first day. Boult took over the sessions, though it seems their recording was pure accident, and the result of someone flipping the switch as they started working.

The Lalo with Barenboin is a live performance from Cleveland in 1973, when she was in remission from the MS which eventually forced her to give up performing altogether.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on May 26, 2022, 02:34:43 AM
Alexander Dmitriyevitch Kastalsky's Requiem for Fallen Brothers
    Leonard Slatkin, Orchestra of St. Luke's, Kansas City Chorale, The Saint Tikhon Choir, The
    Clarion Choir, Cathedral Choral Society, Anna Dennis (soprano), Joseph Beutel
    (bass/baritone)
A great discovery of recent years!

TD
Philip Spratley (great name!)
Symphony No.3 'Sinfonia Pascale':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Pletnev, Chopin Preludes, Dubai last week. This is by far and away the most creative performance of the Chopin preludes I've ever heard.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Johannes Brahms: Symphony No.1 in C minor, op.68. Marin Alsop, London Philharmonic Orchestra

This is my favorite Brahms cycle currently. So good.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Tsaraslondon

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Traverso

Florestan

Todd

Revisiting for the first time in a long time.  Superb, just as memory suggested.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Spotted Horses

This has been a treat, Ciccolini's recording of Années de pèlerinage by Liszt. Just had time for Le mal du pays.

I'm used to thinking of Ciccolini as a purist who plays what's on the page, but I find a lot of poetry in his recording of Années de pèlerinage. Wonderful control of sonority, highlighting shadings of harmony.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 26, 2022, 12:59:37 AM
I will be listening to the Sibelius Edition Tone Poems for most of today, I think. I dipped in and out yesterday with The Wood Nymph, Night Ride and Sunrise, Barden and Tapiola, so thought today would be a good chance to play the whole collection.

A great choice! ;)

Now playing Adams City Noir with David Robertson conducting the Saint Louis SO:

City Noir is, if I'm remembering what the composer said, his homage to Gershwin and Jerry Goldsmith but filtered through his own stylistic lens.

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on May 25, 2022, 07:16:51 PM
Poulenc: Les Animaux modeles (complete ballet)

One of the only complete recordings of this, one of the most gorgeous and shamefully neglected ballets in the repertoire. Full of contrast, color, great tunes, and no lack of drama, this is truly a must-hear for all Poulencians (and others)!

I should have to demur to our André, a native Francophone, but I suspect there would be an orthographic adjustment: possibly Poulenchiens, although that looks a little canine.

TD:

LvB
String Quartet № 4 in c minor, Op. 18 № 4
Colorado String Quartet

CD 93
Purcell
Dido and Aeneas

CD 20
Keyboard music by Couperin, Poglietti, Grigny & Rameau
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Peter Mennin SY8. Badea/Columbus.