What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Operafreak

Schubert: Piano Sonata No. 18 in G major, D894/ Piano Sonata No. 19 in C minor, D958-     Daniel-Ben Pienaar (piano)
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

SonicMan46

Rameau, Jean-Philippe (1683-1764) - Keyboard Works on piano w/ Marcelle Meyer, 2-disc set from the mid-1950s - own about 10 CDs of his works (all instrumental) - have the KB pieces w/ Sophie Yates on harpsichord (2 volumes) and a CD w/ Angela Hewitt.  Dave :)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 26, 2022, 07:01:58 AM
Peter Mennin SY8. Badea/Columbus.

Good to see the love for the Mennin Eighth!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Penderecki: Sextet

Fabulous work.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

SonicMan46

Onslow, Georges - String Quartets, Op. 8 (No. 1/3) & Op. 12 (No. 3) w/ Quatuor Ruggieri - new arrival, used from the Amazon MP (excellent condition and pristine CD surface) - Georges wrote 30 String Quartets and this addition brings me up to 15 (w/ only 2 duplications).  Dave :)

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Transcriptions from Wagner:

Ballad aus Der fliegende Holländer
Pilgerchor aus Tannhäuser   
O du mein holder Abendstern
Walhall aus Der Ring des Nibelungen
Feierlicher Marsch zum heiligen Gral aus Parsifal

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Jean Sibelius
Sibelius Edition
Theatre Music
King Christian II (Raimo Laukka, Lahti SO)
Swanwhite Suite (Neeme Jarvi, Gothenburg SO)
BIS

Apparently I don't plan projects anymore. I just stumble aimlessly from one composer or set of works to the next, enjoying whatever takes my fancy. Meh. It is working for me at the moment. Sibelius for a bit, maybe. Tone poems today were just great.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

ritter

Let's start at the beginning...

First listen to this performance of Goffredo Petrassi's First Concerto for Orchestra (of the eight he composed over a span of almost 40 years).

I bought a secondhand copy of this hard-to-find set online, and it arrived yesterday. I already knew (and admired)  these works from Zoltán Peskó's earlier recordings on the Fonit Italia label, but had heard very laudatory comments about Arturo Tamayo's traversal. Well, those comments were not exaggerated: this performance of the neoclassical(ish) First Concerto (composed in 1934-34) is vigorous and detailed, and it's quite fantastic! Great stuff!

SonicMan46

Ravel, Maurice (1875-1937) - Piano Music w/ Bertrand Chamayou (also own Bavouzet in these works) and Piano Trio w/ Trio George Sand, including the expected Faure or Debussy work but this time Mel Bonis fills in the disc!  Also have the Florestan Trio doing the usual three trios.  Dave :)

Todd

The latest Soler-on-piano disc from Naxos by another pianist new to me, Evgeny Konnov, playing three long, multi-movement sonatas.  Stylistically, he is very different from Čolić, but his execution is as good.  His precise 'n' quick arpeggios satisfy just as much, as does his precise dynamic control.  Konnov plays with more direct rhythm and he handles the slow music beautifully without playing especially slowly.  Another highlight of the ongoing cycle.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 26, 2022, 11:39:52 AM
Yes!

Being you an accomplished clarinetist, I easily notice that you have good taste, Karl.  ;)

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Frederick Converse: American Sketches - Symphonic suite

Significantly entertaining stuff. It could not be too memorable in the end, yet doesn't outstay its welcome either and it's quite atmospheric whose movements are Manhattan - The Father of Waters - Chicken Reel - Bright Angel Trail. For any takers of accentuated Late-Romanticism is a good deal.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Langgaard: Symphony #1 "Klippepastoraler"
Segerstam: Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra

Wow! This was my first listen to Langgaard. This is a massive symphony, although perhaps a bit too long. The main theme reminds me of Nielsen's 4th from a few years later.

Madiel

Sibelius, Piano quartet in C minor

Not the best of these earlyish works in my opinion. It's basically a theme and variations with a long introduction, and the introduction is pretty clunky.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

Guarnieri: Choros for Cello

First listen.  I think I still prefer the old Aldo Parisot recording, but this new one is actually available.

Here's my own rip from LP of the older recording:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/gyzjniwm4i5/guarnieri_choro_for_cello_parisot.flac/file