What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 26, 2022, 09:48:42 AM
Penderecki: Sextet

Fabulous work.

One of the best chamber works in modern music.
TD

CD 24
Schumann
Carnaval Opus 9
Fantasiestücke Opus 12
Faschingsschwank aus Wien Opus 26

Recorded at various points in the years 1956-58.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Peter Benoit: Symphonic poem for piano and orchestra, Op. 43

A piano concerto in all but name whose movements are Ballade, Bardic song and Scherzo. Fantastical hunt. The music does have an ambition of a tale. If you have affinity for Saint-Saëns, Pierné without the "Iberian" touch, Dubois, Gouvy, et al, good considering.

Gabriel Dupont: Poème for piano quintet

If this is not an outstanding piece from the French nation, I don't know what it is then! Largely Romantic in a vein not too dissimilar to Fauré if a comparison is pertinent. Fine writing for all the instruments, conveying the soul of them through a creation of assured greatness.

Richard Strauss: Ein Heldenleben

I've been rather ambiguous about this Strauss giant. Moreover, this remastering certainly improved the preceding EMI set, but I'm not sold completely. I remember Järvi's account on Chandos to be more akin to my preferences in both playing and recording as such.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: JBS on May 26, 2022, 06:20:49 PM
One of the best chamber works in modern music.

Agreed! Rather enjoyable.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Operafreak

Joseph Joachim Raff - Cello Concertos

Daniel Muller-Schott (cello), -  Bamberg Symphonic Orchestra, Hans Stadlmair
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mirror Image

Continuing with the Stravinsky ballets with Pulcinella from this Chailly set:

Madiel

Sibelius, 7 Runeberg songs, op.13

It's been far too long since I've listened to these. Rich and grand romanticism (Krause seems an excellent singer for this material). Sibelius sure loves having lots of notes at this stage of his career (the piano accompaniments are thick), but it works pretty well in these songs.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Dutilleux: Symphony No. 2

Bewitching and in excellent sound to boot. Dutilleux had a great ear for sonorities and textures.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

One more work before bed Liszt Hamlet, S. 104 from this Masur set:

Hugely impressed with this box set so far. Thrilling performances.

Madiel

Sibelius op.13 again, but this time trying Anne Sofie von Otter.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Roasted Swan

If you are looking for another candidate for "The Great American Symphony" this might be a contender!  Actually I'm not sure it is the best of the best but it is certainly very good and well worth hearing;

and I enjoy this performance very much.  The more familiar William Schuman "New England Triptych" (what a piece!) gets a stirring performance.  The Herrmann Symphony is very enjoyable - perhaps a little "traditional" given how Herrmann could be really imaginative elsewhere but certainly the equal of many similar symphonic works written around 1940.  This performance is certainly very good - possibly preferable to the only otyher version on Unicorn from the composer himself.  The recording there is rather harsh and flat - unlioke other Unicorn discs so a shame.

Mandryka

I was so impressed by Pletnev's recent Dubai performance of the Chopin Preludes I decided to listen to more by him, I chose this early recording of Grieg - it predates the DG. What's interesting is that, IMO, it's clearly the same pianist - same lightness of touch, same colour palate.

Anyway I want to say that his recent, spontaneous sounding - simultaneously organic and improvisatory - Chopin preludes are absolutely fabulous, a major contribution. Someone I know compared his art to Josef Hofmann, and that may be spot on. Anyone who wants the recording can PM me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck.

The First Book of Psalms by David.
CD II from III.

Psalms & Organ variations on Psalm 60

Gesualdo Consort Amsterdam, Harry van der Kamp.

I am thoroughly happy with the the performances by the Gesualdo Consort, in almost every respect. I can not imagine that any admirer of Sweelinck's music would want to be without it.

I have the Dutch version of all the performances with an elaborate book added to every volume, and tons of extra info. This is still available to this day. But probably not for long for they are pretty much at the end of their stock.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Maestro267

Hartmann: Symphony No. 1 ("Versuch eines Requiems")
Kallisch (mezzo-soprano)/Bamberg SO/Metzmacher

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Operafreak

Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony, Op. 58-     Philharmonia Orchestra-    Riccardo Muti
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Biffo

McEwen: Solway Symphony - London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Alasdair Mitchell prompted by a recent mention

foxandpeng

Kurt Atterberg
Symphonies 3 'West Coast Pictures' and 6 'Dollar Symphony'
Ari Rasilainen
Hannover RPO
CPO

Off to see Alice Cooper in concert this evening, so what better way to begin the day than with Atterberg?
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Gustav Mahler.

Symphony No. 1, "Titan"

Bamberger Symphoniker, Jonathan Nott.

New acquisition.

I am deeply touched by this performance, and its definitively the best performance and recording I ever heard of the Titan. It moved me so much that at many a moment tears came to my eyes, I am not ashamed to admit. The detail you hear is unbelievable, there are moments, many of them that reveal such a plethora of unheard details, that I was asking myself is this this really the first symphony of Mahler. This is a life affirming performance and to my mind certainly what Mahler meant. The recording is absolute state of the art.
Wow!!!!

foxandpeng

Kurt Atterberg
Orchestral Works 2
Symphonies 2 and 8
Neeme Jarvi
Gothenburg SO
Chandos

Continuing the Atterberg vibe. Although these symphonies feel less modern in tone than some of my usualchoices, I'm still enjoying their beauty and accessibility.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 27, 2022, 02:59:30 AM
Kurt Atterberg
Orchestral Works 2
Symphonies 2 and 8
Neeme Jarvi
Gothenburg SO
Chandos

Continuing the Atterberg vibe. Although these symphonies feel less modern in tone than some of my usualchoices, I'm still enjoying their beauty and accessibility.

I will certainly put them on my order list, all of them, despite the fact that I have already a complete set.