What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

Mahler 9. I might understand it this time. Even streaming so that I don't get a CD break.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Lisztianwagner

I'll join the Mahler party:

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.8

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Harry

Dora Pejacevic.

Piano concerto in G minor.
Symphony in F sharp minor.

Peter Donohoe, Piano.
BBC SO, Sakari Oramo.

Dora Pejacevic is on top of my list if it comes to female composers. I even bought the vocal compositions, a first in my musical history. I know both works from the CPO recordings and was positively smitten by her music. She was an unique, talented and highly intelligent woman of great beauty, and a great conversationalist, respected and applauded in her time. Her untimely dead was, and is still a tragedy, for she was destined for even greater things I am sure. I am glad Chandos recorded both works. Lets dive into it shall we?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Spotted Horses

Mozart Divertimento K137, Neville Marriner, ASMF

This piece can be performed by a string orchestra or string quartet. It has an unusual form, beginning with an andante which seems to have the customary form of a classical slow movement, followed by a fast movement and closing with a movement with a dance like character. The andante is a gem.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: absolutelybaching on May 27, 2022, 04:42:50 AM
K137 (in the first Köchel catalogue, but K125b in the sixth edition) is similar to K136 (i.e., K125a) in that it's a 'divertimento' that is named as such on the manuscript, but not in Mozart's handwriting. Accordingly, it is not formally numbered amongst the divertimenti and, because it's form is more like the Italian sinfonia than a usual divertimento, it's sometimes called 'Salzburg Symphony No. 2'. I believe I dredged that nugget up from a half-remembered part of The Compleat Mozart, by William Cowdery and Neal Zaslaw.

...although the three movements do not follow the usual scheme of fast-slow-fast, but rather slow-very fast-fast.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Iota

Sibelius: Symphony No.2
Osmo Vänskä, Lahti SO

What a magnificent creation the 2nd Symphony is, one marvel after another. Vänskä and band in magnificent, electrically-charged form too.

Madiel

Quote from: Madiel on May 27, 2022, 03:51:25 AM
Mahler 9. I might understand it this time. Even streaming so that I don't get a CD break.

That did turn out rather better.

It was only right near the very end that I remembered the box also has a (different) DVD version of no.9, which I haven't tried yet.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

New Acquisition.

Richard Stohr.

Orchestral Music Volume I.

Concert im Alten Stil for Strings. piano and Percussion, opus 68.
Suite No. 2 in A minor for String Orchestra, opus 120.

Agnieszka Kopacka, Piano.
Sinfonia Varsovia, Ian Hobson

Karl Henning

Pre-PT listening:

LvB
String Quartet № 5 in A, Op. 18 № 5
Colorado String Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Now playing Koechlin Oboe Sonata, 58 with Stefan Schilli and Oliver Triendl:

DavidW

Quote from: Madiel on May 27, 2022, 05:16:54 AM
That did turn out rather better.

In comparison to what other recording?  My favorite is Chailly.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on May 27, 2022, 05:07:51 AM

Sibelius: Symphony No.2
Osmo Vänskä, Lahti SO

What a magnificent creation the 2nd Symphony is, one marvel after another. Vänskä and band in magnificent, electrically-charged form too.

Pounds the table!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Paul Creston SY4. Miller/Albany.

Operafreak

Albéniz: Iberia- Alicia de Larrocha
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Harry

Jean Sibelius.

The Symphonies & Tone Poems.
Violin concerto.

CD I from V.

Symphony No 1 in E minor & No. 4 in A minor.

Philharmonia Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy.

Irons

Elgar: 2nd Symphony.

I think this symphony stands or falls on the second movement Larghetto which in Boult's recording(s) I have to fight back tears. No tissues required with Mackerras, but credit due as he shines a light on other aspects of this symphony, particularly the highly detailed, scurrying third movement which I thought outstanding.
A CD worth it's price alone for the coupling of "Sea Pictures".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SonicMan46

Ravel, Maurice - Discs 5 & 7 from the Jean Martinon 8-disc box of Debussy and Ravel; the latter performed w/ the Orchestre de Paris - recordings are from the early 1970s but sound great as are the interpretations - one of the best 'one-stop' shopping boxes in my collection which I've had for years and see no need to change - for those interested, check out the long MusicWeb review HERE - Dave :)

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on May 26, 2022, 12:55:15 AM
John Kinsella, Symphony No. 7 (1999) on the same CD:

Pounds the table! Good to see you posting again, Johan.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Todd

Revisiting this set.  Brahms Op 8.  The 16+ hours of music making certainly qualifies as $0.99 exceedingly well spent.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya