What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel's lustige Streiche; Don Juan; Ein Heldenleben
Staatskapelle Dresden/Kempe

classicalgeek

Quote from: kyjo on May 25, 2022, 06:28:45 PM
I love the early Partita! It's rather in the spirit of contemporaneous works by his compatriot Casella.

I too enjoyed the Partita - and Casella is an apt comparison. Dallapiccola's later works are in a totally different style.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 25, 2022, 08:58:09 PM
I forgot mentioning, a formidable work. For lovers of, say, Bartók and Klami, is a must-hear. A work of notable vitality and masterful writing.

I was enthralled by Englund's orchestral music - good to know his chamber music is of the highest quality too!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Iota

Brahms, Op.118
Arcadi Volodos (piano)

Sensational playing. The A major Intermezzo is the most beautiful I know.

ritter

Tonight, Petrassi's Secondo Concerto per orchestra (from 1951).

SonicMan46

Ravel, Maurice (1875-1937) - String Quartet & Violin Sonata of course w/ the works of other French guys, such as Faure and Debussy =  :laugh:  Finishing up my Ravel collection this afternoon - Dave :)

P.S. for the curious about the Orlando Wind Quintet transcriptions, a couple reviews attached.

Allegro feroce

Henze's Third Symphony.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on May 27, 2022, 06:54:10 AM
In comparison to what other recording?  My favorite is Chailly.

In comparison to previous attempts to experience/understand the symphony.

I don't know any other recordings. You're the second person to nominate Chailly, though, the first being Hurwitz.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Allegro feroce

vers la flamme

Robert Schumann: Dichterliebe, op.48. Fritz Wunderlich, Hubert Giesen

My favorite Romantic song cycle, sung by the greatest German tenor I've ever heard. Only for special occasions  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 26, 2022, 09:15:24 PM
Dutilleux: Symphony No. 2

Bewitching and in excellent sound to boot. Dutilleux had a great ear for sonorities and textures.

Looks like a great disc - I have the Erato boxed set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2022, 03:06:59 PM

Me too—and I too am tempted by these Naxos Dutilleux recordings.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 26, 2022, 10:49:30 PM
If you are looking for another candidate for "The Great American Symphony" this might be a contender!  Actually I'm not sure it is the best of the best but it is certainly very good and well worth hearing;

and I enjoy this performance very much.  The more familiar William Schuman "New England Triptych" (what a piece!) gets a stirring performance.  The Herrmann Symphony is very enjoyable - perhaps a little "traditional" given how Herrmann could be really imaginative elsewhere but certainly the equal of many similar symphonic works written around 1940.  This performance is certainly very good - possibly preferable to the only otyher version on Unicorn from the composer himself.  The recording there is rather harsh and flat - unlioke other Unicorn discs so a shame.
I like that disc very much, although I prefer Herrmann's own performance of his Symphony on an old Unicorn CD (I had the LP as well).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on May 27, 2022, 02:09:33 PM
In comparison to previous attempts to experience/understand the symphony.

I don't know any other recordings. You're the second person to nominate Chailly, though, the first being Hurwitz.

M9 is complicated by being a work that can be played effectively in several different ways. It's been a while since I've played either one, but IIRC Chailly and Geilen both go for a temperate middle of the road approach. Then there's the rip your heart out and wear it as a bleeding badge approach, of which Bernstein was the paragon (although I suggest Levine/Munich Philharmonic on Oehms if you can stream it). And then there is the serene ascent to heaven way of doing it, of which Zinman is (I think) the best, and Maderna/BBC is another good example.
Not sure what the availability for streaming or Youtube any of these have.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Buster Machine on May 27, 2022, 02:46:50 PM
Leifs' Saga Symphony.

A good one! Leifs's primal idiom is so recognizable!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2022, 03:06:59 PM

I don't own the Erato set, but this is something else indeed, Jeffrey!

Quote from: vandermolen on May 27, 2022, 03:08:35 PM
I like that disc very much, although I prefer Herrmann's own performance of his Symphony on an old Unicorn CD (I had the LP as well).

Agreed on both!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 4

Sharp-edged, buoyant, incandescent rendition. This set is becoming a keeper.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

I'm a bit late joining the Mahler party, but
Mahler: Symphony #1
Gielen/SWR

An excellent performance, I especially liked the first movement. I only have two minor complaints: the contrasts between characters in the 3rd movement aren't very extreme (compared to e.g. Kubelik), and the horn section isn't very powerful. But the overall pacing is great and the orchestral balance is otherwise excellent. From what I have heard in this box so far, Gielen is great at getting the musicians to play with the right timbres.

Karl Henning

After PT, I went back to these, because they're so good.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 26, 2022, 06:51:01 AM

CD 93
Purcell
Dido and Aeneas

CD 20
Keyboard music by Couperin, Poglietti, Grigny & Rameau

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot