What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Repeat listen to an excellent CD

The music is varied, but the Bush is a nice little neo-classic bonbon to end with.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Continuing with the Stravinsky ballets --- now playing Apollon musagète from this Markevitch recording:

Daverz

Wagenaar (1862-1941): Sinfonietta, via Qobuz

Oh, this is really fine.

Operafreak

Haydn: String Quartets Op. 76- Chiaroscuro Quartet

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mirror Image

Now playing Respighi Feste Romane with Bernstein:

Great performance!

Mapman

Quote from: Daverz on May 27, 2022, 07:19:20 PM
Wagenaar (1862-1941): Sinfonietta, via Qobuz

Oh, this is really fine.
I've been meaning to listen to that. Maybe this weekend!

Now:
Pfitzner: Palestrina - Preludes
Thielemann: Orchester der Deutschen Oper Berlin

Mirror Image

Before heading to bed playing excepts from this Saint-Saëns mélodies recording:

Madiel

Haydn op.20/1. One half of my quest to get all the Mosaiques recordings arrived yesterday.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Operafreak

Coleridge-Taylor & Dvorak: Violin Concertos

Philippe Graffin (violin)/ Johannesburg Philharmonic, Michael Hankinson

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 27, 2022, 04:31:07 PM
I don't own the Erato set, but this is something else indeed, Jeffrey!

Agreed on both!
Good to know - thanks Cesar  :)

The Koch Herrmann CD had v good booklet notes and some nice photos - like Herrmann on the Grand Canyon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Vagn Holmboe
String Quartets Vol 2
String Quartets 2, 14 and 21 'Quartetto Sereno' (completed by Nørgård)
Nightingale String Qt
Dacapo

*hits play button*
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Job 'A Masque for Dancing'. I increasingly think that this is one of the composer's greatest works. I also think that Bostock's German performance is excellent. Bostock tends to get unfavourably reviewed but I am very fond of this recording (not least for the interesting shorter works on the CD) as well as his Novak CD (ClassicO and Alto) and even his much derided Bax's 6th Symphony accompanied by a very fine 'Tintagel':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aukhawk

Quote from: JBS on May 27, 2022, 04:03:48 PM
M9 is complicated by being a work that can be played effectively in several different ways. It's been a while since I've played either one, but IIRC Chailly and Geilen both go for a temperate middle of the road approach. Then there's the rip your heart out and wear it as a bleeding badge approach, of which Bernstein was the paragon (although I suggest Levine/Munich Philharmonic on Oehms if you can stream it). And then there is the serene ascent to heaven way of doing it, of which Zinman is (I think) the best, and Maderna/BBC is another good example.

And then there's Haitink.

Irons

Quote from: JBS on May 27, 2022, 06:32:51 PM
Repeat listen to an excellent CD

The music is varied, but the Bush is a nice little neo-classic bonbon to end with.

Interesting review of the Searle piece here - http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/2022/05/humphrey-searle-concertante-for-piano_01103285829.html

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Tsaraslondon

It was a good idea to couple Karajan's 1969 recording of Metamophosen to his famous recording of the Vier letzte LIeder. To me it's always seemed more of Karajan's recording, with the voice treated instrumentally. The effect is undeniably beautiful and I know for many it's a first choice for the songs, but I miss the deeper meanings found in the songs, by such as Schwarzkopf and Norman. The orchestral contribution is of course absolutely wonderful and Janowitz certainly isn't unfeeling, so maybe I should leave it at that, but over the years I have found others more satisfying.

A wonderful disc, nonetheless.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Harry

Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck.

First Book of Psalms by David.
CD III from III.
Psalms.
Cantique de Simeon.
Organ variations on Psalm 140.

Gesualdo Consort Amsterdam, Harry van der Kamp.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Papy Oli

A little bit of JSB's organ music(Koopman)

Olivier

Operafreak

Hartmann: Symphony No. 3; Charles Ives: Robert Browning Overture- Bamberger Symphoniker, Ingo Metzmacher

Tsaraslondon

I wasn't a big fan of Norman's Vier letzte Lieder when it first came out, but I must have been particularly curmudgeonly at the time. It's grown on my over the years and now is one of my favourite versions, only second to Schwarzkopf/Szell. I still find the tempo for the last song too slow, and it is amazing she is able to sustain it at that speed, but I would still rate it as one of the very best recordings of these popular songs ever made.

The fill-ups are hardly less desirable, with a particularly radiant Cäcilie and a beautifuly floated Wiegenlied, though yet again I find the tempo a wee bit too slow. A superb disc.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas