What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Buster Machine on May 28, 2022, 03:13:41 PM
You can listen to it in the Romanian classical radio station's website for a couple days: https://www.romania-muzical.ro/emisiune/polifonii/polifonii/271621/4611 It's really nice, it somewhat reminds me of Dvorák's Concerto but with its own national flavor and more modest and gentle. I especially liked the finale, I found it just as charming as it is catchy.

Sounds like something I'd love to hear. Thank you. I'll give it a listen soon.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Modern repertoire at its very best. The bassoon concerto's busy and buzzy 'insect music' style never fails to exhilarate. The symphony is a big, sonorous, event-filled piece. Ostacoli (Obstacles) is a bit harder to apprehend. For strings only, it is contemporaneous with the symphony (1987).

DavidW

It was time to embrace the darkness.

Actually Sanderling's recording of the 8th captured more details than the Segerstam and was just passionate, so it might be my preferred recording now.

And this is my favorite recording of Gorecki's 3rd.

bhodges

For Ligeti's 99th birthday, Atmosphères, from the Frankfurt Radio Symphony and Christoph Eschenbach (recorded 27 September 2018). Gorgeous, and with probably 20 seconds of silence at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-bemE-bCXQ

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

Atterberg: Horn Concerto
Bartók: Second Rhapsody for violin and orchestra

Noam Chomsky

bhodges

Nino Rota: Concerto for Strings - Stefan Asbury, conductor / Frankfurt Radio Symphony (recorded 19 November 2020). Am a big fan of Rota's film scores, but don't recall hearing this (or maybe pandemic fatigue), and it's wonderful. Asbury and the Frankfurt group are marvelous.

On the same concert, Schreker's Chamber Symphony, which I'm going to dive into after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znpOAZeFOZc

--Bruce

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on May 28, 2022, 04:24:24 PM
It was time to embrace the darkness.
And this is my favorite recording of Gorecki's 3rd.

Great recording, David. This and the Kord/Kozlowska/Warsaw Phil are the two tops for me.

Sibelius night with No.3 from Sanderling and Co., and first listen to the complete Tempest

Mirror Image

Continuing on with the Stravinsky ballets with Le Baiser de la fée from this Knussen recording:

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on May 28, 2022, 05:42:59 AM
Ouch!  I feel like I should that as libel!

There seems to be a school of thought around here that Hurwitz has no idea what he's talking about. I am not of that school.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Noam Chomsky

Operafreak

Brahms: Ein deutsches Requiem, Op. 45/  Richard Stilwell (baritone), Arleen Auger (soprano)

Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Chorus, Robert Shaw
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mapman

Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie
Nelsons: Boston

It's well-played and -recorded, but it's not the best I've heard. For example, the ascent isn't particularly enthusiastic, and the ending feels especially long.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mapman on May 28, 2022, 07:03:52 PM
Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie
Nelsons: Boston

It's well-played and -recorded, but it's not the best I've heard. For example, the ascent isn't particularly enthusiastic, and the ending feels especially long.

Never a good sign. Eine Alpensinfonie is one of my favorite works from Strauss and reading your opinion of it has certainly dampened my enthusiasm for wanting to explore this set. I may end up gifting it to someone.

bhodges

This performance of Lutoslawski's Concerto for Orchestra from last November, with Krzysztof Urbański and the Frankfurt Radio Symphony, is just superb, with spectacular work from the orchestra. (And they have another one from a few years earlier, also great, with Edward Gardner conducting.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwCIK7uENM

--Bruce

Mapman

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2022, 07:13:55 PM
Never a good sign. Eine Alpensinfonie is one of my favorite works from Strauss and reading your opinion of it has certainly dampened my enthusiasm for wanting to explore this set. I may end up gifting it to someone.

I've noticed that the performances I liked more were the Leipzig ones, not the Boston ones. I'm curious to see what you think!

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mapman on May 28, 2022, 07:41:22 PM
I've noticed that the performances I liked more were the Leipzig ones, not the Boston ones. I'm curious to see what you think!

Hmmm...I might try those out. Thanks for the feedback.

Mirror Image

Now playing Sculthorpe Little Suite with David Porcelijn and the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra from this OOP set:

A beautiful pastoral work that brings to mind Vaughan Williams, Moeran, Finzi et. al., but Sculthorpe's compositional voice is never in question. He has a certain lyricism that unique to him.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 28, 2022, 07:59:30 PM
Great work! Great recording!

I was only familiar with Svetlanov conducting it until I could give this recording a listen. The dynamic range here is much better, certainly.

Noam Chomsky