What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 28, 2022, 08:19:57 PM
I was only familiar with Svetlanov conducting it until I could give this recording a listen. The dynamic range here is much better, certainly.

Ah, but one of the bonuses of the Svetlanov recording is the magnificent Songs by the Sea, which hasn't been recorded too often for some bizarre reason.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2022, 08:21:22 PM
Ah, but one of the bonuses of the Svetlanov recording is the magnificent Songs by the Sea, which hasn't been recorded too often for some bizarre reason.

I can't argue with that!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Operafreak

Korngold: Chamber Music- Eusebius Quartet, Alisdair Beatson (piano)

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

The new erato

Some Crusell on a quiet morning:

Madiel

Dvorak: Suite in A ('American' suite), op.98 - the original piano version.

As a later work, definitely one of Dvorak's best piano pieces.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Operafreak

Strauss, Debussy and Ligeti- Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Jonathan Nott
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on May 29, 2022, 12:54:15 AM

Lovely cover image. What's the music like?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Iota

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 28 in A Major, Op. 101
Freidrich Gulda (piano)

For me Op.101 feels like a clear border crossing point from middle to late Beethoven. Qualities that have been simmering for a while in earlier sonatas, seem to come into full bloom.
Obsessive/wild/celebratory dotted rhythms and syncopations that often seem to threaten to disintegrate musical and emotional edifices, a further loosening of formal restraints, dynamic polyphony, the feeling that the musical air is somehow more rarefied, perhaps a conduit to some new state, all are present and seem to both deepen and elevate the form. Compelling stuff.

Gulda is brilliant, meticulous and mercurial, often in the same breath.

Spotted Horses

I've decided to listen to this set and it's companion in it's entirety. I've heard many of these works at various times, but I want to become familiar with all of them.

On disc 2 I am confronted with Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (groan). It is certainly one of the most overplayed works of Mozart, but not having listened to it for a decade, at least, it managed to surprise me with it's charm and felicity. And the final rondo has a startlingly dramatic close. It works well as a string quintet, rather than an orchestral piece.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Biffo

Brahms: Piano Quintet in F minor - Belcea Quartet and Till Felner piano

Spotted Horses

Aldo Ciccolini's recording of Chapelle de Guillaume Tell, from Liszt's Années de pèlerinage, is simply magnificent.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Quote from: The new erato on May 29, 2022, 12:54:15 AM

+1 - big Eric Hoeprich fan - own and greatly enjoy that disc! Dave  :)

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on May 29, 2022, 03:04:36 AM
Lovely cover image. What's the music like?

Right up your alley, Jeffrey: epic, dark, gloomy, fate-defiant and resigned valedictory. Run, don't walk!  :P
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2022, 06:54:01 PM
Continuing on with the Stravinsky ballets with Le Baiser de la fée from this Knussen recording:

A wonderful recording of beautiful music!

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Now playing Sibelius Symphony No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 82 from the Barbirolli set:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

Alexander Zemlinsky
String Quartet No.3
String Quartet No.4

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

VonStupp

Sergei Prokofiev
Queen of Spades Suite
(Berkeley)
On Guard for Peace, op. 124

Irina Tchistjakova, soprano
Niall Docherty, boy soprano
Royal Scottish NO & Chorus (& JC)
Neeme Järvi
(rec. 2008)

Two new (for me) Prokofiev works for the afternoon:

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Reger, Max - been posting the Reger Thread the last few days and listening to my modest collection, finishing up w/ the CDs below last night and today - Dave :)

P.S. stimulated some discussion in his thread, so visit if interested in collecting or expanding on your own collection of this prolific composer who died too young (early 40s)!