Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 2505329 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #72800 on: June 23, 2022, 11:13:51 AM »
Music is life, and like it, inextinguishable.

I love the vast surface of silence; and it is my chief delight to break it.

Carl Nielsen

Online VonStupp

• Veteran member
    • Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #72801 on: June 23, 2022, 11:16:36 AM »
Ralph Vaughan Williams
The Wasps

Henry Goodman, narrator
Hallé Orchestra & Chorus - Sir Mark Elder (rec. 2005)

Earthy incidental music, with radio play-type narration, that hit me well this afternoon. This un-morality tale of military pensioners could be ripped from Last of the Summer Wine on PBS.

Nothing like bawdy provincial Gilbert & Sullivan-esque patter lines to turn my grey mood:

Act I
Could you not find any clean underwear, or did you slip and stub your toe on the stone stair?
Is there a hitch in your hiatus, for a groin with inflamatus...may impair your apparatus?

Act III
All you little octopussies, offspring of the ocean,
Show your daddy your dainty tussies and set them all in motion.

I had only previously heard The Wasps Overture from André Previn, so it was nice to hear all of the other music VW wrote, especially music developed from that Overture. The chorus was rather characterful, as was Henry Goodman in his many roles. Not a great work, but enjoyable.

VS
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:21:11 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #72802 on: June 23, 2022, 11:34:40 AM »

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #72803 on: June 23, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
Messiaen: Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum

The use of the percussion is the highlight of the piece for me, but the music itself doesn't grab me enough.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #72804 on: June 23, 2022, 02:04:03 PM »
Yes, phrases are relatively long adding to the feeling of unity of the music (not to confuse with articulation which is rather detached). But lyrical, I don't know. I don't think he tells stories with the music, rather that he displays the affect of the music.

Relistening to AoF CD I at a higher volume made the organ sound a bit more present, but the sound is still unsatisfying, the plenum pieces the most (eg. Cpt. X and XI bordering the ugly). It is surprising but fortunate that the Passacaglia on CD II (played with plenum too) sounds very well in comparison.

As to CÜ III I also think that it's the plenum pieces (eg. second Kyrie and the pedal version of Aus tiefer Not) which fares the worst. Bad engineering surely, and the situation that the acoustics elude the organist. Thinking of how superprofessional the recordings by Beekman are, I find it amazing that Kooiman accepted the recording he got.

yes, the Beekman recordings have a very sympathetic sound, the way I like to hear it, a great plus and for that reason alone attractive because of the experience of the organ in all its beneficent splendor.
I really enjoy listening to the Beekman recordings,the have a different temperament than the Kooiman recordings who draws more your attention than Beekman who is more introverted.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #72805 on: June 23, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
First listen to this particular recording of Krommer's wind partitas, and possibly first ever listen to two of the three specific works:

God, this music is endlessly delightful! It's a pure endorphin rush of happiness and charm. Although formally Krommer is clearly inspired by Haydn, the best comparison in terms of what it feels like to listen to this music is Rossini. Just endless charming invention and wit.

Krommer's symphonies are comparatively more complex and Haydnish, but also less instantly catchy and hummable. This is 100% pure fun.

Indeed a very fine recording wich I hope to listen to in a short time.

Offline classicalgeek

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Anything from Baroque to the present day - but orchestral music written after about 1870 is my "sweet spot"!
« Reply #72806 on: June 23, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
Hi Classicalgeek - well, I've culled out probably 4 other sets and have just the Borodins & Pacifica Quartet - the latter would become my sole set if wanting to go further - performance, interpretation, and sound all are excellent, plus SQs of others.  There are many other good to outstanding collections but the Pacifica recordings are at or near the top of the heap - the attached reviews are unanimous in their praise.  Dave :)

Thanks for the feedback, Dave! I figured they'd be highly recommended; most of their recordings have been. But it's nice to hear that from someone who owns the set!

TD:
Berthold Goldschmidt
*Cello Concerto
Ciaccona Sinfonica
Chronica Suite
*David Geringas, cello
Magdeburg Philharmonic Orchestra
Mathias Husmann

(on Spotify)

I quite enjoyed these works. The connection to Hindemith is unmistakable, but Goldschmidt has a more lyrical side that puts his own stamp on the music.
So much great music, so little time...

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #72807 on: June 23, 2022, 03:25:06 PM »
Charles Loeffler: A Pagan Poem

Gaseous, music without any distinctive or interesting idea. Rather derivative a la Dukas (mostly). I much prefer his La Mort de Tintagiles to this vacuous piece.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #72808 on: June 23, 2022, 03:45:53 PM »
Glazunov: Symphony No. 5

This is much better! And receives a noble, eloquent performance here.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mapman

« Reply #72809 on: June 23, 2022, 03:54:16 PM »
The Czech 'bug' has bitten me lately:

Suk: Piano Quintet
Janáček: Piano Sonata

Why this PQ is not better known is beyond me. Such energy, lyricism, fine writing.

The Janáček is simply amazing. The composer was an expert to create drama and convey a rather psychological pathos here.

I found that Suk CD at the book sale a few weeks ago, and I'd been thinking about listening to it soon. Because of your post, I just listened to the Piano Quintet, and agree with your assessment.

Offline Mapman

« Reply #72810 on: June 23, 2022, 04:46:59 PM »
Shostakovich: Piano Concerto #1
Previn, Berstein: New York

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #72811 on: June 23, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »
I found that Suk CD at the book sale a few weeks ago, and I'd been thinking about listening to it soon. Because of your post, I just listened to the Piano Quintet, and agree with your assessment.

Cool! A work with strong material indeed. The Scherzo was particularly delightful to me.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #72812 on: June 23, 2022, 05:13:42 PM »
Rota: Suite from 'La Strada'

Utterly phenomenal in every respect (including a most magnificent recording). Music to die for.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #72813 on: June 23, 2022, 05:21:59 PM »
Rota: Suite from 'La Strada'

Utterly phenomenal in every respect (including a most magnificent recording). Music to die for.

OK, this got my attention. Recently saw La Strada for the first time (it's magnificent), and one of the many pluses is Rota's music. I love Muti's recording below, but this version looks like a strong contender. It really is one of the great movie scores.

--Bruce
“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #72814 on: June 23, 2022, 06:17:10 PM »
Definitely. It's about as authentic* as my Roman centurion's outfit (don't ask!), but it's rollicking good fun, with some very touching moments. Shout out to John Shirley-Quirk in particular.

* As in, these days, you'd be doing full HIP-type performances, and this style of mid-20th Century playing of Baroque music would be considered wildly inappropriate. But back in the 1950s and 60s, if you were going to hear any Purcell at all, it would have to be via 'realisations'. Which Britten was masterful at, of course.

I think it's available only as DL or used CD (unless you go for the full Complete Warner Recordings set), but Barbirolli's recording of Dido & Aeneas is excellent but definitely not HIP.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #72815 on: June 23, 2022, 06:29:55 PM »
Earthy incidental music, with radio play-type narration, that hit me well this afternoon. This un-morality tale of military pensioners could be ripped from Last of the Summer Wine on PBS.

Nothing like bawdy provincial Gilbert & Sullivan-esque patter lines to turn my grey mood:

I had only previously heard The Wasps Overture from André Previn, so it was nice to hear all of the other music VW wrote, especially music developed from that Overture. The chorus was rather characterful, as was Henry Goodman in his many roles. Not a great work, but enjoyable.

VS

I'm not in the mood to check, but I hope that involved liberal doses of Aristophanes' original text.

TD
Rubsam playing Vierne

CD 4

Maybe it's the mood or (shades of Mandryka) the cheap wine I'm drinking (Tabor Cabernet Sauvignon 2017), but I keep thinking French Romantic organ music is a bore, and Rubsam is doing nothing to prove me wrong.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #72816 on: June 23, 2022, 06:31:47 PM »
OK, this got my attention. Recently saw La Strada for the first time (it's magnificent), and one of the many pluses is Rota's music. I love Muti's recording below, but this version looks like a strong contender. It really is one of the great movie scores.

--Bruce

Muti and Rota look like a strong combination. Thanks, another one to keep in mind!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Charles ives (1874 - 1954)
« Reply #72817 on: June 23, 2022, 06:35:33 PM »
NP:

Adams
Harmonielehre
Berliners
Adams

From this Adams Berliner set -

Magnificent!
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

My "Top 5" Favorite Composers: Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius and Bartók

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #72818 on: June 23, 2022, 06:37:39 PM »
Zygmunt Stojowski: Piano Concerto No. 2 in A-flat major

Yesterday it was Shchedrin's sensational Piano Concerto No. 1, and today this wonder surprised me on this confident and passionate performance. It's in two movements that comprise a slow Prologue and a Scherzo (I) and a set of variations (II) on a very good tune.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Operafreak

« Reply #72819 on: June 23, 2022, 06:40:51 PM »

Liszt: Dante-Symphony-  Staatskapelle Dresden, Dresden State Opera Chorus, Giuseppe Sinopoli

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.