Adams
Harmonielehre
Berliners
Adams

From this Adams Berliner set -

Magnificent!

Symphonic Addict

Zygmunt Stojowski: Piano Concerto No. 2 in A-flat major

Yesterday it was Shchedrin's sensational Piano Concerto No. 1, and today this wonder surprised me on this confident and passionate performance. It's in two movements that comprise a slow Prologue and a Scherzo (I) and a set of variations (II) on a very good tune.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Operafreak

Liszt: Dante-Symphony-  Staatskapelle Dresden, Dresden State Opera Chorus, Giuseppe Sinopoli

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Operafreak

Brahms: Late Piano Works, Opp. 116-119-Paul Lewis (piano)

Que

Morning listening on Spotify:

Not that I need another recording of Giovanni Zamboni's wonderful and indispensable lute sonatas, next to Luciano Contini's recording (Symphonia/Glossa (reissue)),  but this record is definitely worthy of the music. Fairly slow, close an detailed.

Mandryka

Well, without wishing to indulge in inappropriate comparisons, I think anyone who enjoys K515, for example, should listen to the G348 on this recording. Admittedly one is a viola quintet and one a cello quintet, but nevertheless . . .
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Tsaraslondon

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde - Prelude and Liebestod
Mussorgsky: Dawn over the Moscow River
Liadov: Baba-Yaga
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no 5

Live performances from 1965 (Wagner, Mussorgsy and Liadov) and 1973 (Tchaikovsky).

The Wagner makes me wonder what a Tristan und Isolde from Mravinsky woud have sounded like as he shapes the Prelude and Liebstod wonderfully.
The Tchaikovsky symphony is perhaps a degree or two more heated than the famous DG recording, but his control over the orchestra is absolutely phenomenal.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Mandryka

Tsaraslondon

This was the perhaps unexpected first choice of Marina Frolova-Walker when she was asked to do a survey of available recordings of Tchaikovsky's perenially popular masterpiece. Karajan did always have a way with Tchaikovsky, and especially with the 6th and this is a very fine performance indeed so I'm happy to second her recomendation.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Papy Oli

Good morning all.

BWV 167 and maybe a couple of others from Gardiner's Vol.1

Olivier

Traverso

Operafreak

Rossini - Respighi: La Boutique Fantasque- National Philharmonic Orchestra, Richard Bonynge

Traverso

Mozart

Harmoniemusik nach Mozart

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Pastoral Symphony - Hallé Orchestra conducted by Sir Mark Elder with Sarah Fox soprano

Mandryka

This is a real find, a lovely rendition of Britten's Songs from the Chinese. Partridge has such a sweet voice.

Traverso

Todd

Piano Concertos 1-3 to start.  Korstick's playing is superb, and his piano tone, particularly in the Second, is appealing and beautifully metallic.  He lacks the lightness and youthful vigor of some others in the first two, and the heightened drama of others in the third.  No substantive gripes.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

Quote from: JBS on June 23, 2022, 07:29:55 PM
I'm not in the mood to check, but I hope that involved liberal doses of Aristophanes' original text.

Indeed JBS, it is RVW's incidental music to Aristophanes' tale. It has been translated into English and slightly updated in the process, but the story and text is there in all its glory.

The recording is 105 minutes, plenty of incidental melodrama, but also plenty of standalone RVW music too.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Operafreak

Beethoven: Cello Sonatas- Zuill Bailey (cello), Simone Dinnerstein (piano)

aligreto

Roussel: Symphony No. 4 [Janowski]

I really like this work. The musical language is, generally, fraught. That is because of Roussel's first hand experience of War, I presume. The first movement is terrifically animated, atmospheric, intense and menacing. The second movement is a great contrast in terms of tempo. It is very lyrical but there is a major disconcerterting underlying tone that does not bode well. The music is inherently unstable and unsettling. It is wonderfully effective in the mood and atmosphere that it creates. The Scherzo is a tense and animated affair which is well driven here. The final movement is another agitated and intense piece of music which is also well driven here.
There is an understandable sense of both tension and turbulence throughout the work. It is an inherently intense and dramatic work. I also find the scoring to be particularly effective and atmospheric.