What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek, SonicMan46, Papy Oli, AnotherSpin and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2022, 08:55:27 AM
Skalkottas: The Return of Ulysses.

Most interesting!
NP
Aho: Triple Concerto for violin, cello, piano and chamber orchestra.
A fine, atmospheric and engaging work - thank you John/MI  :):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2022, 08:59:37 AM
Most interesting!
NP

Try his quartets - they're very like Schoenberg's 3rd and 4th in a way, and a pleasure to hear for me at least.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Linz

Beethoven Violin Sonatas No. 1, 2 and 3  with Henryk Szeryng and Ida Haebler

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 23, 2022, 11:51:16 AM
Yes, phrases are relatively long adding to the feeling of unity of the music (not to confuse with articulation which is rather detached). But lyrical, I don't know. I don't think he tells stories with the music, rather that he displays the affect of the music.

Relistening to AoF CD I at a higher volume made the organ sound a bit more present, but the sound is still unsatisfying, the plenum pieces the most (eg. Cpt. X and XI bordering the ugly). It is surprising but fortunate that the Passacaglia on CD II (played with plenum too) sounds very well in comparison.

As to CÜ III I also think that it's the plenum pieces (eg. second Kyrie and the pedal version of Aus tiefer Not) which fares the worst. Bad engineering surely, and the situation that the acoustics elude the organist. Thinking of how superprofessional the recordings by Beekman are, I find it amazing that Kooiman accepted the recording he got.

I'd love to know what Kooiman and Weinberger say about cantabile in Bach performance. (I don't want to give you an imposition though!)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphonic Addict

Schubert: Piano Sonata No. 16

Sounds like a very fine interpretation. I should spend more time with his piano music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Ralph Vaughan Williams
Symphony No.6

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Tsaraslondon

Recorded in Cremona 1989. Very nice performances, but the sound is a bit astringent.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

VonStupp

Ralph Vaughan Williams
Mass in G Minor

Charles Villiers Stanford
Three Motets, op. 38

Hubert Parry
Songs of Farewell

His Majestie's Clerkes
Anne Heider
(rec. 1997)

Anyone who enjoys the choral music of the Renaissance would probably enjoy RVW's Mass in G and Stanford's Three Motets. The former owes greatly to plainchant and double chorus polyphony, and in the latter I hear Palestrina. Both are beautiful works.

Parry's Songs of Farewell doesn't flow to the past, but is perhaps his most personal. Parry is a composer I find mostly academic in his writing for music and settings of texts. He doesn't escape that here, but the last three songs (out of 6) break their way into something more.

VS

For anyone interested, the cover is a watercolor by Jack Simmerling, a Chicago-based artist where Cedille Records and His Majestie's Clerkes hail from.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Sibelius, Jean - Tone Poems & Violin Works/Concerto on the top row recordings below - also have a couple of solo piano discs - and just ordered two 'used' CDs, i.e. another piano disc and piano quartets (bottom row below) w/ hardly any overlap of the three piano recordings.  Dave :)

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 24, 2022, 10:21:45 AM
Schubert: Piano Sonata No. 16

Sounds like a very fine interpretation. I should spend more time with his piano music.

You cannot go wrong with this set. I find it overcomplete, what with 4 discs of ditties and forgettable waltzes and écossaises, but the sonatas are the thing, and Endres is a master.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2022, 08:59:37 AM
Most interesting!
NP

Pounds the table! You're very welcome!

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in E Major with Georg Solti. This was Bruckner's first entirely successful  Symphony it is not my favorite of all his Symphonie I am partial to his 3rd

vandermolen

Bax Symphony No.6
Arguably the finest recording of this turbulent score (along with Thomson)
In tribute to David Lloyd-Jones:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 24, 2022, 10:30:16 AM
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Symphony No.6

A fine performance, if not quite displaying the urgency of Boult's two earlier recordings.

Linz

Max Reger Organ Works 3 organist Cor van Wageningen

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2022, 12:09:36 PM
A fine performance, if not quite displaying the urgency of Boult's two earlier recordings.

Agreed, Boult is a terribly good Vaughan Williams' interpreter. I can't say there is urgency, because I've only got Boult's recordings to compare. Which performances would you suggest?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

aligreto

Music for Virginals, Clavichord & Harpsichord [Geraint Jones]

The music performed here is inherently engaging but I was particularly engaged by the variety of the textures of the various instruments featured.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on June 24, 2022, 04:37:58 AM

Piano Concertos 1-3 to start.  Korstick's playing is superb, and his piano tone, particularly in the Second, is appealing and beautifully metallic.  He lacks the lightness and youthful vigor of some others in the first two, and the heightened drama of others in the third.  No substantive gripes.
The strong left hand playing really jumped out in the First - there were whole lines I had never heard before, and at first I thought maybe he was making them up.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on June 24, 2022, 11:08:14 AM
You cannot go wrong with this set. I find it overcomplete, what with 4 discs of ditties and forgettable waltzes and écossaises, but the sonatas are the thing, and Endres is a master.

Indeed, I'm not an expert on these works, but my overall impression was that of good playing and great recording.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky