What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on June 24, 2022, 02:26:44 PM
The strong left hand playing really jumped out in the First - there were whole lines I had never heard before, and at first I thought maybe he was making them up.

Korstick is not a make-it-up kind of pianist.  If you have not already, maybe see if you can hear his Mussorgsky.

I'm on to the LvB Fourth now.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Yeah, it was just a totally ear opening experience. Schnyder was a cycle that really revolutionized these concertos for me and Korstick might be another. I also listened to the 15 minute "No. 6" fragment and really liked it.

Mapman

Beethoven: Symphony #8
Szell: Cleveland

Some sloppiness in a few places, but great clarinet playing!

Todd

So I've bought a few Mozart quartet cycles, and various other discs of Mozart's quartets, and then, when I switch to primarily streaming, I finally try the Armida Quartet in Mozart.  And here's the ongoing cycle for me, based on first listen.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mapman

Stravinsky: Symphony in C
Stravinsky: CBC Orchestra

Stravinsky put lots of great melodies in this.

André

I find the tangy yet sweet sound of the clavichord perfect in these works. It suits the wide intervals and angular gestures of CPE Bach's keyboard writing.

Symphonic Addict

John Fernström: Symphonic Prologue

The Nordic flavour and gestures and sense of atmosphere are quickly perceived in this remarkable piece.

Eugen Suchon: Baladická Suita

Invigorating stuff, powerfully late-Romantic (wistful when needed, though), quirky somewhat close to Janacek..., a what a blast of a recording! This disc is a revelation. Kudos Chandos for material like this!

Josef Suk: Under the Apple Tree

I wonder why the heck there is no any complete recording of the cantata. There is some quite fine material here.

The CD below contains other excerpts from the whole work:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Operafreak

Berwald: Piano Trio No. 1 in E flat major/    Berwald: Piano Trio No. 4 in C major- Kalman Drafi (piano), Jozsef Modrian (violin), Gyorgy Kertesz (cello)

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on June 24, 2022, 05:50:51 PM

I find the tangy yet sweet sound of the clavichord perfect in these works. It suits the wide intervals and angular gestures of CPE Bach's keyboard writing.

Interesting! I will explore the series.

Symphonic Addict

Louis Glass: Symphony No. 4 in E minor

Just wanted to hear the 1st mov., the music doesn't hold good enough to keeping trying. Rather disappointing, actually.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

NP:

Ravel
Shéhérazade
Teresa Berganza, mezzo-soprano
Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse
Plasson

From this outstanding, OOP set -

This particular set never gets enough attention. For the Ravelian, it's unmissable, IMHO.

Mapman

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 24, 2022, 07:45:40 PM
Louis Glass: Symphony No. 4 in E minor

Just wanted to hear the 1st mov., the music doesn't hold good enough to keeping trying. Rather disappointing, actually.

That's too bad. The 3rd symphony is quite nice.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mapman on June 24, 2022, 08:24:00 PM
That's too bad. The 3rd symphony is quite nice.

That's precicely my favorite Glass CD (featuring the rustic and enchanting Summer Life Suite).

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Listened to yesterday. Struck me as rather good.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Arrived in the mail, listening to Cypresses.

My choice for the best recording of the cycle, except for the bizarre switch of the order of the 9th and 10th songs. I had wondered if it was just on streaming versions, but no, the CD is the same, and the CD booklet gets in a tangle over this which just confirms it was a mistake. Ah well, this is what track programming is for.

EDIT: Also, the English translations of Cypresses are completely awful. So there's that. But the singing is darn good.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Haydn, op.33/2 in E flat. The one with the joke at the end...

Madiel

Poulenc, Metamorphoses

The first 2 little cycles on this disc have been a total delight. If the quality stays this high, this album series will be a real treasure.

Operafreak

Saint-Saëns: Orchestral Works- Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Järvi
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on June 24, 2022, 03:52:25 PM

So I've bought a few Mozart quartet cycles, and various other discs of Mozart's quartets, and then, when I switch to primarily streaming, I finally try the Armida Quartet in Mozart.  And here's the ongoing cycle for me, based on first listen.

Yes I've been enjoying what they do very much.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 24, 2022, 07:38:34 PM
Interesting! I will explore the series.

Very good solo keyboard music in that series, I listened to the Prussian Sonatas a couple of months ago
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen