What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Listening to the opening duo for two cellos in C.

I don't think this is formulaic or anodine or just charming, delightful. There's a level of fantasy, unexpectedness, which makes it more than that. Boccherini is turning out to be my biggest old time classical music composer discovery for a long time.

Richard Lester is the Boccherini man as far as I can see - here and in the cello quintets.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Iota

Boulez: Livre pour cordes
Vienna Philharmonic, Boulez (cond.)

The VPO seems a perfect choice for Livre pour cordes, which feels to me rich in 2nd Viennese School heritage. Rapturous, restless and more personal than much Boulez, it's almost like a non-tonal Verklärte Nacht. Lovely.

Bachtoven

Mapman

Shostakovich: Symphony #4
Järvi: Scottish National Orchestra

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mapman on June 25, 2022, 04:54:47 PM
Hanson: Piano Concerto
List, Epstein: MIT Symphony Orchestra

Fascinating.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on June 26, 2022, 01:13:08 AM
Haydn, Missa Cellensis, aka 'Mariazellermesse'

Greatly enjoyed that one, as I reached it in the big box.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Que on June 25, 2022, 01:31:00 PM
A rare but lovely kind of piano:

The tangent piano is a very rare keyboard instrument that resembles a harpsichord and early pianos in design. It normally features five octaves of keys and the strings are acted upon by narrow wooden or metal slips when the keys are depressed.

The tangent piano has an unusual sound that combines the qualities of the harpsichord and piano. The treble resembles the bright sound from a light action piano, and the bass resembles the bass from a harpsichord. The sound varies from instrument to instrument, as do personal descriptions of the tangent piano's sound.

Thank you for the explanation. I love the sound of tangent piano.

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 26, 2022, 12:30:27 PM
Greatly enjoyed that one, as I reached it in the big box.

Yes, me too.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2022, 06:00:12 PM
Britten: String Quartet No. 1

Britten's output for this medium has strong merits to be considered among the greatest in the 20th century. Music with personality and expertly written.

Indeed, I find much fascination and satisfaction in his first two quartets, above all the masterful No. 2. But No. 3, damn, that's a tough nut to crack! It's too introverted and even "cryptic" for my tastes.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 21, 2022, 10:43:32 PM
Quite how aged about 12 you write this Piano Trio I have no idea.  I always find "Opus 1" quite interesting in gauging a composer's development - some have a long way to travel, others like Korngold are remarkable from the get go.  I don't know this recording but was really impressed by this Naxos recording;

the companion disc which includes the Suite is equally fine I thought....

Such odd choices of cover art for such effusive, youthful, lyrical, and lush music! They'd be more appropriate for albums of music by Shostakovich, Weinberg, Schnittke, Pettersson, Penderecki, etc. ;) Whatever the case, those are superb recordings of such highly inventive and enjoyable music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

listener

François COUPERIN:    The two Masses for organ
Michel Chapuis, organ of the Èglise St-Nicolas, Pertuis
highly recommended, for both the recording and the 32-page booklet (half is in French, so maybe 16 pages useful for some)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

DavidW

Mapman

Finzi: Intimations of Immortality
Langridge, Hickox: Liverpool

A work with many beautiful and emotional moments, but much of it not particularly memorable. The percussion seems excessive: every climax doesn't need a cymbal crash.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 22, 2022, 06:08:04 PM
Bretón: Symphony No. 3 in G major

An utterly lovely and tuneful piece with an endearing sense of rusticity, yet there is no much Spanish flavour, I hasten to add, it's more French-and-German-sounding (the 3rd movement inhabits a more Spanish sound world). The orchestra plays with gusto, almost reaching flawless category. Hurwitz should talk about this composer and symphony on his Youtube Channel.

Cool, Cesar. I remember listening to this symphony a few years ago and thinking it was enjoyable but not particularly special. I should revisit it, I guess!

kyjo

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on June 23, 2022, 06:36:16 AM
Fernando Lopes-Graça: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2.
Eldar Nebolsin/Bamert.

Pounds the table! Two sparkling, neo-classical PCs in the best sense of the word.