foxandpeng

Derek B Scott
Orchestral Works 2
Symphonies 1 and 2
The Silver Sword
Paul Mann
Liepaja Symphony Orchestra
Toccata Classics

Yet another fine release by Toccata. Really worthwhile, tuneful works that are just very easy on the ear.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

springrite

Jolivet Bassoon Concerto

What a delightful piece!!!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 28, 2022, 05:34:43 PM
Blomdahl: Symphony No. 2
Atterberg: Symphony No. 6

Thumbs up for one of these, but not for the other. ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 29, 2022, 09:25:31 AM
First listen to:

Kurt Weill
Symphony No.2

A wonderful work! Compact, energetic, and tuneful. I'll never forget when I heard it performed live by the Pittsburgh Symphony a few years ago!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mapman

I've been watching the Concertgebouw's conducting master class, so haven't been listening to as much recently.

Respighi: Suite in G Major, P. 58
Brown, Di Vittorio: Chamber Orchestra of New York

A very baroque-influenced work, but not very memorable.

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 30, 2022, 04:44:40 PM
Gabriel
Marche des Petits Soldats de Plomb
*Piano Concerto
Divertissement sur un theme pastoral
Ramuntcho Suites 1 and 2
*Jean-Efflam Bavouzet, piano
BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
Juanjo Mena

(on Spotify)

Simply delightful works! They represent some of the best of Pierné, along with his ballet Cydalise et le Chèvre-pied and the ineffably beautiful Concertstück for harp and orchestra. I find his chamber works less engaging - odd, as I'm usually a sucker for French chamber music.

kyjo

kyjo

Quote from: Mapman on June 30, 2022, 07:17:50 PM
I've been watching the Concertgebouw's conducting master class, so haven't been listening to as much recently.

Respighi: Suite in G Major, P. 58
Brown, Di Vittorio: Chamber Orchestra of New York

A very baroque-influenced work, but not very memorable.

+1 I love almost everything Respighi wrote, but this suite is an exception.

Mapman

Quote from: kyjo on June 30, 2022, 07:25:33 PM
+1 I love almost everything Respighi wrote, but this suite is an exception.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one unimpressed by that piece. (Not that my opinion needs validation, though!)

(And I'll probably get to Harty's With The Wild Geese that you recommended early next week!)

Operafreak

Joseph Haydn: Piano Sonatas Nos. 20, 34, 51 & 52-Paul Lewis (piano)

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mapman

Britten: Praise We Great Men (Orchestrated by Colin Matthews)
King, White; Rattle: CBSO

I'm continuing to go through recordings that I own and have never listened to. Britten didn't complete much of this piece, and I'm unimpressed by what there is. Britten fans still may want to hear every note he wrote, though. Helpfully, the publisher makes the score available to view: https://www.fabermusic.com/music/praise-we-great-men-856/score

(Also, the original cover art is terrible: it attempts to list the works, but they forgot that the center would be covered.)

SimonNZ

On the radio:

Murray Perahia playing Brethoven's 4th PC

Bachtoven

This was a mind-frying 2 hours! I heard them play all 5 in a single concert several years ago. So was that!

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 30, 2022, 07:08:04 PM
Thumbs up for one of these, but not for the other. ;)
I can't imagine which Kyle!  8)
Do you know Blomdahl's 1st Symphony? I much prefer it to the better known 'Facetter' and it shows the benevolent influence of his teacher Hilding Rosenberg, whose symphonies 2 'Grave', 3,4 and 6 are amongst my favourite symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Operafreak

Brahms: Piano Sonata No.1; Ballades Op.10- Stefan Vladar

vandermolen

Perfect early morning (or late night) listening. 'Epithalamion' is rather in the spirit of 'Flos Campi'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Operafreak

Rheinberger - Sacred Choral Works-  Phoenix Bach Choir & Kansas City Chorale-  Charles Bruffy

Traverso